Menu

Best places for cheap 1hr temporary eyeglasses?

Arcadia

Other than going into CVS and getting DS13 reading glasses? (ETA: CVS is not workable, no nearsighted glasses off the rack, didn’t realize that)

Kid broke his glass frame at the left side hinge. He has Chinese tuition with a tutor tomorrow so that’s not a problem without glasses as it’s only him, DS12 and the tutor in a study room.

He has tennis lessons on Friday so he needs a temp pair of eyeglasses. His current frame cost $183 at LensCrafters so even if we pay out of network for the frame, it would be $93 just for frame.

He has a current prescription from two weeks ago but just haven’t seen any frames he like. Our in-network provider would take at least a week even if he picks a frame tomorrow. 

I know LensCrafters and Site for Sore Eyes have locations with an hour turnaround time. Any others? His prescription is about 500degrees nearsighted for both eyes.

His old pair is too small for his head.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, maize said:

Hot glue?

No hot glue at home. I was thinking of gorilla glue but worried about getting that on the lenses. 

Soldering might work as a temporary fix. It broke at the metal hinge. Same thing happened a few years ago. 

ETA:

Kid suggested getting a nice roll of duct tape ?

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Other than going into CVS and getting DS13 reading glasses?

His prescription is about 500degrees nearsighted for both eyes.

His old pair is too small for his head.

If he's nearsighted, reading glasses won't help, right? Would he even need them for tennis? I'm thinking you'd be using your distance vision for that, but I don't play tennis. 

Amazon sells distance glasses, I've never noticed them sold locally but then again I've never looked: 

https://www.amazon.com/Near-sighted-Glasses-Strength-reading-glasses/dp/B00VYR7ODO?th=1

I would absolutely be duct taping them before laying out money on a new pair of glasses that he doesn't even like. Or run to Walmart or Home Depot and get a $5 hot glue gun. You're in the states, right? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, katilac said:

If he's nearsighted, reading glasses won't help, right? Would he even need them for tennis? I'm thinking you'd be using your distance vision for that, but I don't play tennis. 

My husband can’t see without glasses but his is 800 degrees nearsighted. DS13 probably can play decently without glasses as he is still at the beginners level, not tournament level.

My in-laws bought those $5 to $10 glasses from CVS and Walgreens. Didn’t realize it’s for farsighted as there is OTC prescription swim googles for nearsighted. 

I can buy the hot glue gun at a craft shop nearby while he is at tuition or get it soldered because the metal hinge broke so I need to glue metal on metal.

ETA:

He does have German class on Saturday but his teacher and classmates know him well so he could sit right in front of the white board.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

"Our in-network provider would take at least a week even if he picks a frame tomorrow.   I know LensCrafters and Site for Sore Eyes have locations with an hour turnaround time."

Sorry about this.   Your in-network provider "would take at least a week"...  We pay Zenni Optical $2.50 extra for "Priority" USPS shipping to our Shipping Address in Florida. I believe the 3 orders we have placed with them, using Priority USPS Shipping have been delivered to our Receiver/Forwarder in 9 or 10 days, although they state 10 to 14 days.  Those eyeglasses are made in China and shipped via air freight to California and then tendered to USPS in CA. In the San Francisco Bay area.

Lens Crafters is one of the Luxottica companies. Luxottica is the Italian company that controls 80 or 90 percent of the Frames for eyeglasses in the USA and probably in the world.   Let us assume that your DS has an incredibly simple prescription.   Just imagine the "laboratory" and the "quality control" they have in a store for LensCrafters or Site for Sore Eyes. Compare that with the photos and  information you see on the ZenniOptical web site.  No comparison.  Apples vs Oranges.

My DD now has one eye that is -6 and one eye that is -5.5, with Astigmatism.  On the 2 pairs of eyeglasses she got from Zenni in July 2018, her lenses were included at no extra charge. If her eyes get worse, the next time we will need to pay extra, for stronger lenses for her. Not a big expense with Zenni.

I would suggest that your DS has a Spare pair of eyeglasses, along with his new pair, ASAP and that you ALWAYS pay for the Anti Reflective/Anti Glare Coating.

I hope your DS gets his new eyeglasses soon and that he is happy with them.

If you are interested in trying ZenniOptical I can give you a code for Free Shipping (the Priority Shipping is $2.50 above the $4.95 for normal shipping, which is for one or more pairs of eyeglasses. Our last order was for six pairs of eyeglasses but the shipping was $7.45 total), but you can probably get a code for 10% off, which would be better.

• Like 2

You don't need a working hinge for a temporary fix--you might have more luck glueing or taping with some kind of splint; The ear piece won't fold in but will work to wear.

Or if you have an old pair of glasses or sunglasses around that you could borrow an earpiece from that might work as well depending on where exactly your hinge broke.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lanny said:

"Our in-network provider would take at least a week even if he picks a frame tomorrow.   I know LensCrafters and Site for Sore Eyes have locations with an hour turnaround time."

Sorry about this.   Your in-network provider "would take at least a week"...

It is a monopoly thing. The VSP providers in my area does nothing in house and they don’t nag the lab doing the glasses. My husband had to go down to the optician shop and nag.

Our current set is more than a year old and they were done at LensCrafters. We pay out of network there at a price cheaper than the in-network and had better choices of frames. My husband and kids have chosen Ray Ban frames for years and the VSP providers charge more for the same Ray Ban or Oakley frame. Even the lens prices before the VSP discount is marked up more. My husband says LensCrafters workmanship for his high index lenses is better than the three VSP providers we have used, he is very nearsighted. It was two days turnaround for my husband and DS13, a few more days for DS12 because of astigmatism but less than a week. They have a lab in house and don’t mind if you bring your own frame. 

So if our kids didn’t find a comfortable to them frame in an in network provider, we don’t mind going out of network to make their glasses since the cost difference is negligible.

Our insurance covers two pairs a year. We intend to make two pairs each for all of us. 

DS13 prescription is simple, just nearsighted and need high index. That’s why he can use off the shelf prescription swim googles for swimming. DS12 prescription is like mine, astigmatism in one eye and nearsighted in the other. 

There are two VSP providers across the road from the library my kids are having their tuition at so we are going to check those out since one of them opens at 8:30am which is before the library opens. 

I was thinking if I can grab a temporary simple pair for around $40 without insurance, I would do that. Target Optical quoted us that for a no frills pair without insurance and limited frame choices but it’s not same day of course. 

DS12’s head has been adult size for years but DS13’s head has been growing and is now adult size. That’s partially why he has two pairs which broke at the hinge over the years. It’s predominantly a wear and tear failure. 

• Like 1

I’m not a glasses wearer, but my husband and siblings have always taped their frames in similar situations. It’s only for a week and then your son can get new frames he likes and that are affordable for you. Get some colored duck tape to make it fancier. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I was thinking if I can grab a temporary simple pair for around $40 without insurance, I would do that. Target Optical quoted us that for a no frills pair without insurance and limited frame choices but it’s not same day of course.

That's about the cost we pay at Walmart. The problem with the online vendors like Zenni, Warby Parker, etc. is getting the proper measurements for the frames. An optical shop (even a cheapie place like Walmart) will do the measuring for us.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

Walmart is cheap but not fast. Site for Sore Eyes is fast but not cheap. Which one I go to depends on whether our vision insurance will pay or not (we get 1 set per calendar year). 

Both are out of network for us. Site for Sore Eyes quoted me $99 for a no frills pair with a turnaround time of one day without insurance.

The quote I got for DS12’s glasses this morning at a VSP in-network place was $225 for a pair with anti-glare transition lenses after insurance. They didn’t have what DS13 wanted.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

FWIW, we've had good experiences at Costco.  It takes our VSP insurance and has a $100 out of pocket limit on glasses for kids.  You could call to verify, of course, but I think it was a corporate policy.  It takes about a week, unfortunately. 

Edited by klmama
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, klmama said:

FWIW, we've had good experiences at Costco.  It takes our VSP insurance and has a $100 out of pocket limit on glasses for kids.  

JCPenney has a two for $99 currently for no frills glasses. Costco isn’t listed under our VSP, we don’t mind paying out of network though for good service.

Lenscrafters has a quick turnaround no frills package as well. I didn’t think to ask when we were there for our kids eye exams (totally covered) as we just pay out of network price for our transition, high index glasses every time. The shop we go to consistently gave us good service and detailed quotations.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

Can his lenses be put in a new frame? That would be very quick. In my experience, one hour lenses are only an option if you barely need glasses at all. 

Yes. It’s exactly this $178 Ray Ban frame https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/mobile/eyeglasses/RX5286 FEMALE 004-rb5286-black/8053672005189

He does not want back the same frame or it would be fully covered under our insurance as it’s under $250 for in-network and this frame is commonly available here. For out of network we get a $90 “discount” so it would still be $88 for frame assuming no markup by the store.

His head circumference has gotten bigger since last May and he needs a bigger frame size. So his lenses might be not wide enough for a bigger frame. We tried normal sticky tape last night on the broken hinge and it didn’t work.

We are going to another VSP tonight to see if we can find a frame that is comfortable for him. 

Another thing we could do is go to LensCrafters and just pay for the cheapest frame that works with his current lenses. They can switch over the lenses while we sit around which is what they did for me. 

• Like 1

I buy my nearsighted glasses at zenni - I get the $6.95 pairs or if I feel like a splurge the $12.95 pairs.  I buy several at a time.  

when my frames break and I don't have a backup pair (this happens yearly as I have bad EF skills) I duct tape them.  People look at me weird but I am too old to care. ?  when I was your son's age I just went without or bought some from a thrift store.  $ was scarce and I wasn't asking my folks for new glasses when I knew it was my fault they were lost or broken.

3M Scotch Blue painters tape which is a leftover from public school supplies worked for now ? I taped the broken hinge to look similar to one of those Oakley cycling/ski sunglasses. 

We did managed to find a frame that is comfortable for him last evening but the in-network shop marked up the price a lot more than our regular in-network VSP store so we are going to have both kids glasses done at our usual in-network store tonight after tennis since they close at 9:30pm.

His old Ray Ban frame was a 51 18 135 and the Giorgio Armani one that is comfortable is a 55 17 145. His face definitely grew broader.

• Like 1