Menu

I asked for a raise :)

Night Elf

I heard my new boss interviewing someone and they mentioned starting salary which was higher than what I was getting. So I went to her and told her I was hired on a temporary basis at one salary but now that I'm a permanent employee I'd like a raise. She said she'd discuss it with the Board when they meet on Tuesday but she doesn't see why it would be a problem. I hope they bring me up to what she discussed with this potential new employee. This will mean, however, filling out a new W-4 to have even more taxes taken out so we don't owe a lot come tax time.

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

I heard my new boss interviewing someone and they mentioned starting salary which was higher than what I was getting. So I went to her and told her I was hired on a temporary basis at one salary but now that I'm a permanent employee I'd like a raise. She said she'd discuss it with the Board when they meet on Tuesday but she doesn't see why it would be a problem. I hope they bring me up to what she discussed with this potential new employee. This will mean, however, filling out a new W-4 to have even more taxes taken out so we don't owe a lot come tax time.

If the new hire is doing similar work to you, then you really should be brought up to that amount AT MINIMUM. W-4's only take a couple of minutes to fill out, no biggie. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Night Elf said:

I doubt it will put you into a higher tax bracket, and even if it did, it would only be on the higher amount.  You probably don't need to worry about that right now.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Frances said:

Unless you put an exact amount to withhold rather than a number of allowances, you may not need to adjust your W4. The federal withholding formulas adjust for increases in income automatically.

Yeah, I have an exact amount to withhold. DH has calculated what his numbers should be so that we either get a refund or at least break even and the most we've ever owed was a little over $1 to the state. Now I'm adding to our household income so he wants to keep mine tight like his. He hates the idea of having to write a check to the government in one lump sum.

I think you should earn more than the new person who would come in without experience. You have experience working there. A track record.  You should earn more, unless the other person brings experience that will be useful, that you do not have.

Sounds like a lot of turmoil there. Whenever there are changes in Management, things can change a lot and frequently that happens.  Now that you have recent experience, as a volunteer and as a paid employee, I suggest that you update your resume and prepare to bail out, if necessary.

It is always good for one to have a resume that is updated.

Good luck!