Menu

Anyone here own a Russian Blue? (ccc)

BeachGal

Cute cat content! Beware!

If you or someone you know owns a Russian Blue cat, do you find them to be less likely to trigger cat allergies? My 21-year-old just got one, a very adorable kitten, from a cat fair and so far, ds’s allergies have been minimal. Any experience?

Edited by BeachGal

We have two cats (brothers) that are supposedly Russian Blues. That's what they told us when we adopted them as kittens at the Humane Society, anyway. They had come from an overcrowded breeder situation and were infected with ringworm (which our whole family proceeded to catch - ugh!). Whether they actually are Russian Blues, I'm not sure - but they definitely look like it. No one in our family is allergic to cats, so I can't answer your question about that. Hope your ds enjoys his new kitty!

29 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I had a British blue for years, which are extremely close breed. We didn’t notice a big difference in dander or shedding.  Actually more, with that dense, short coat, compared to our standard American shorthair.

But man he was beautiful.  Seal Point British Blue named Paddington that we got when we lived in Torquay.

https://goo.gl/images/VGq2my

Gorgeous! 

16 minutes ago, Selkie said:

We have two cats (brothers) that are supposedly Russian Blues. That's what they told us when we adopted them as kittens at the Humane Society, anyway. They had come from an overcrowded breeder situation and were infected with ringworm (which our whole family proceeded to catch - ugh!). Whether they actually are Russian Blues, I'm not sure - but they definitely look like it. No one in our family is allergic to cats, so I can't answer your question about that. Hope your ds enjoys his new kitty!

The ringworm does not sound fun. I’m going to have to read about that now, just to make sure the kitty is okay. And my son, too!

Are your two clingy? My son’s kitty is ridiculously cuddly to the point he’ll scamper up ds’s jeans and T-shirt to get a hug. 

This is the first I’ve heard of this breed. Such cuties. We’re hoping ds’s allergies remain at bay otherwise he might become mine. Not that I’d mind. ?

• Like 1

I have a Russian Blue. Both my husband and ds are allergic to cats and tolerate him as long as he is kept out of bedrooms. I heard that people can become acclimated to their own pets though so I don’t know if it the breed itself. It is a bigger breed or maybe my cat is just a big boy. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

The ringworm does not sound fun. I’m going to have to read about that now, just to make sure the kitty is okay. And my son, too!

Are your two clingy? My son’s kitty is ridiculously cuddly to the point he’ll scamper up ds’s jeans and T-shirt to get a hug. 

This is the first I’ve heard of this breed. Such cuties. We’re hoping ds’s allergies remain at bay otherwise he might become mine. Not that I’d mind. ?

One of ours is very clingy! No amount of attention is enough for him. He follows me around meowing and the second I sit down, he jumps right in my lap. His brother is very sweet but much more reserved. 

I will try to post a pic tomorrow.?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, extendedforecast said:

My daughter has mild cat allergies. Her eyes get itchy if she rubs then after petting our other cat, an orange tabby. So far she hasn’t complained about these Russian Blue kittens. 

DD#1 & DD#2 and I request that you send one of your extra RB kittens to us, please. We will take the one in your picture, if available. Thankyouverymuch.

Edited by RootAnn
edited to add another kid requesting a kitten, please
  • Haha 2

We have a “big blue girl” (as the vet describes her). She was rescued as a kitten, so we don’t know her ancestry,  but she has the coloration and dense coat of a RB. We have enough cat dander that it’s impossible to say if she is more hyperallergenic than other cats, but she’s certainly a pretty cat. 

C068F2B0-041C-4AAD-811E-8FE1B17CF47B.jpeg

• Like 6

I am loving these cat pictures! We're deciding if we want to commit to another pet or not. 

It's definitely possible for an allergic person to build up resistance to a single cat. My husband became immune to my cat who loved to sleep on his face. And my eyes and nose get irritated when I visit people with cats, but not with my own.

ETA: I have to say that it doesn't always happen, though. My friend's sister was so allergic to the cats she'd grown up with that it was causing scarring on her lungs, IIRC. They were beloved old things, too. ?

Edited by lavender's green
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dmmetler said:

We have a “big blue girl” (as the vet describes her). She was rescued as a kitten, so we don’t know her ancestry,  but she has the coloration and dense coat of a RB. We have enough cat dander that it’s impossible to say if she is more hyperallergenic than other cats, but she’s certainly a pretty cat. 

C068F2B0-041C-4AAD-811E-8FE1B17CF47B.jpeg

She’s beautiful!

It looks like you all do have Russian Blues -- the fur, dark noses, green eyes, clinginess.

My son's kitten -- I call him Q-bert -- has been sleeping with ds and then waking him at 6 am. The gall! Now ds is trying to figure out how to keep Q-bert quiet for a few more hours so he can sleep. That might not be possible me thinks. Has anyone successfully dealt with a kitten who wants to play early? Our former cat was an extremely complacent and lovable orange tabby who never bothered anyone until we woke up. Q-bert will have none of that. On the other hand, it does get my son up earlier. ?

Here is Q-bert lying in one of those felt IKEA containers (I thought it was his litter box initially!)

image.thumb.png.cf24f642675075e6efe5508c9e4cea3c.png

• Like 3

I don't know about allergies, but my grandmother had what appeared to be a RB when I was a kid. He wondered up to her house one day and stayed. She was already elderly at the time and spent a good part of her time in her rocking chair. He'd drape himself around her shoulders and snuggle down. He was a really sweet boy.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:56 AM, Arctic Mama said:

I’m SHOCKED ??

But what I want to know is there another named Mertz?

As an aside - it's also possible that the baby kitty just isn't shedding a lot of hair and dander.  But that sounds like being such a downer that I didn't want to say it.  ?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BeachGal said:

It looks like you all do have Russian Blues -- the fur, dark noses, green eyes, clinginess.

My son's kitten -- I call him Q-bert -- has been sleeping with ds and then waking him at 6 am. The gall! Now ds is trying to figure out how to keep Q-bert quiet for a few more hours so he can sleep. That might not be possible me thinks. Has anyone successfully dealt with a kitten who wants to play early? Our former cat was an extremely complacent and lovable orange tabby who never bothered anyone until we woke up. Q-bert will have none of that. On the other hand, it does get my son up earlier. ?

Here is Q-bert lying in one of those felt IKEA containers (I thought it was his litter box initially!)

image.thumb.png.cf24f642675075e6efe5508c9e4cea3c.png

Really, the only solution is to get another kitten so Q-bert has a playmate and won't have to wake your ds up to play.?