Menu

For those who diy what all do you make?

lulalu

I love to make things myself. Saves me money and I know what goes into it all. 

I make detergent, toothpaste, cleaning products. 

I am debating on making deoderant. And on making shampoo bars. 

Anyone make their own stuff? 

Looking for some recipies that use some of the same products so I don't have as much laying around. 

What else do you all make? 

My husband makes lye soap for our laundry, which I combine with borax and washing soda--I don't tolerate some of the soap bars recommended for making laundry detergent.

We make some cleaning products and lotions.

I am slowly making gift bags for Christmas (and hopefully bows and such to go on them, gift tags, etc.). 

I sometimes knit hats we need or dishcloths. 

I made some wipes and soakers when we used cloth diapers.

I would make napkins, but it's easy enough to pick them up at yard sales and the thrift store. 

I used to sometimes make homemade cards before I got so busy.

• Like 1

I love learning to make new things.  I have made:

shampoo bars (didn't like them, I have curly hair and it is very picky)

lye soap (fun to make and not really that hard to do)

bath bombs (lots of fun to make and use)

herbal salve (a favorite with everyone. Everyone I give it to, wants more)

Bath tea (a great gift)

homemade salt scrub

Willow and Sage magazine has great recipes for bath and beauty products and is beautiful

homemade cheese (I have never been successful with mozzarella but I make paneer and ricotta regularly)

cultured butter (delicious)

I make my own cultured buttermilk all the time

italian sausage and breakfast sausage

beef jerky

cocktail cherries (homemade maraschino cherries, like luxardo cherries but a lot less expensive)

vanilla

raspberry cordial ( the recipe said raspberry micronutrients, and I realized about two steps in that I was making alcohol, its delicious)

homemade lysol wipes

laundry detergent (we have hard water and it just didn't work as well as Tide)

I can my own jam, applesauce and canned peach slices most years

I have canned cherry pie filling, chicken, beans (pinto and garbanzo), diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and green beans one or more times.

I make and can my own chicken broth periodically

I know there are other things. Like I said, I love to try new things

• Like 3

Lately my DIY stuff has involved power tools. I made several garden boxes and I just had my first class in my basement dance studio that I semi-finished all by myself. I also choreographed everything in teaching this summer, so that’s double DIY. I’ve been cooking from my garden every day recently. More double DIY. 

I’ll admit I quit making laundry detergent and have switched to the Costco bucket for the last few years. I do like the homemade powder and like that I could make more if I want. 

I make my own curtains, a lot of my dance costumes, and have laid my own vinyl plank floors. One day I want to make the Ana White patio furniture. 

• Like 2

Lots and lots of stuff on the house.  Walls, demo, built-in cabinetry, etc.  (In all fairness, DH does all of that, and he's professionally trained.  But still, he rarely hires out anything.  He built an ottoman, including the covered cushion, from scratch.  He makes stuff out of wood and metal all the time.)

Halloween costumes.  Way, way too many of those.  If it can be done with craft glue, felt, cheap solid-colored tees and sweats, and a sewing machine, I can make it come to life, or at least my children think I can.

Birthday cakes.  I'm not an expert, but I have made all of my children's cakes.

I do sew a lot.  I just finished a bunch of diapers and covers, as well as burp cloths and wipes for our new baby.  I knit a lot too; I am working on the baby's stash of mama-knitted diaper covers, sweaters, and hats.  I've knitted costumes, hats, gloves, neckwarmers, toys. . .

I have made cheese before, but honestly, I'm kind of lazy when it comes to that sort of stuff these days.  There's only so much time, and I'd rather knit than spend it in the kitchen.

DH and I are forever seeing things and going, "Oh, we could make that."  He has more talents than I do, but I'm usually up for a challenge.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

Our 1000 sq ft basement was completely unfinished.  DH finished the entire thing.  It is beautiful.  Every realtor we have had come look at it comments on it.

DH built a deck this past year.  He is finishing it up now.  It has taken forever because he is a perfectionist and because he has so little spare time to do it.

He also did a lot of work around the house, put in our hardwood floors, remodeled a couple of our bathrooms, etc....

I used to do a lot of homemade stuff, but now that I am at work full time, I just don't.  I did recently make  homemade lip gloss/lipstick and a lotion bar though.  The lotion bar didn't turn out so well (broke easily) but I am using it.  I am going to just make actual lotion next so I can use that while I perfect the lotion bar.  I would like to make some lotion bars for Christmas gifts if I can get it together.

I also do sew and have a sewing machine and an embroidery machine.  I go in spurts with that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, retiredHSmom said:

herbal salve (a favorite with everyone. Everyone I give it to, wants more)

homemade cheese (I have never been successful with mozzarella but I make paneer and ricotta regularly)

Wow you all are so talented! retiredHSmom how do you make your paneer?I tried making it twice and it became crumbly.I did knead it but somehow it did not work.

Can you share the recipe for the salve?Thank you!

Edited by mominco
Highlighting the quote!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mominco said:

I would love to know how you make the hand soap.

2-3 capfuls of Dr. Bronners liquid soap in a average size soap dispenser full of water, plus 2-35 drops of essential oil.  Shake it.  Some soap dispensers will make this into a liquid and some will turn it into a foaming hand soap which is better and seems to last longer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Teaching3bears said:

2-3 capfuls of Dr. Bronners liquid soap in a average size soap dispenser full of water, plus 2-35 drops of essential oil.  Shake it.  Some soap dispensers will make this into a liquid and some will turn it into a foaming hand soap which is better and seems to last longer.

Thank you.Teaching3bears.

I have Dr Bronners I should try this.I read about this but never made it! 

This is a fun thread.  I hope people will share some recipes.

I make my own soap  and bath bombs.  I've been doing soap for 20 yrs and all my recipes are in a 3-ring binder.  I think you can find a bunch of easy ones online now.   I've never made liquid soap as it seems to require different type of lye. 

I'm also a weaver so I make my own dish towels, napkins, cleaning cloths.  Plus scarves and baby blankets.

I've made my own bread - but only do that for church now.  

I've been doing some power tool DIY stuff.  I made some of THESE  for my son's wedding on Sat.  Then I"ll use them here at our house around the fire pit.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MysteryJen said:

I crochet, bead, sew and quilt. I also embroider, but that has fallen off a little.

I also paint walls, tile and generally fix stuff.

I love to have projects going- one easy, one hard- so I can switch off if it gets boring or frustrating.

We're buying another (used) house this fall so I'm thrifting for furnishings. The best part of being in the Northeast is all the dirt cheap antiques!! Good stuff up here!

• Like 1

I'm boring, all I ever do is Halloween Costumes.  My kids can't ever seem to pick something that it's even possible to buy already done.

Dh does a bunch of stuff.  He built our bedroom, turned a closet back into a hallway at my classroom (including wall board, molding, chair rail), refinished a bunch of furniture from the thrift store, installed a sink with all the plumbing (including unsticking an ancient corroded spigot), he paints (doesn't let me help because he's a perfectionist).  He's done a ton of other stuff around our house over the years.