Menu

Good quality vanilla?

SamanthaCarter

I used to buy it by the pint from King Arthur flour, but it’s tripled in price in the last couple of years. I’m a baker, so I’m pretty picky about vanilla. Make-your-own is not up to my standards. I just got an 8oz of Rodelle’s from Kroger for $20, so I feel like I did well there. Rodelle’s is pretty decent. Anybody seen any good deals lately? 

I am a little baffled. Are we talking about a powdered type of vanilla? I have not seen this since childhood in Northern Europe.

I am used to the liquid. Buy vanilla beans. Immerse in at least 40 proof vodka - let sit for a month or longer = excellent vanilla extract.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LucyStoner said:

Vanilla prices are super high and will be basically anywhere for a while now.  

I pay what they want for the Costco real vanilla and just give thanks I won’t run out for a good long time.  

That's me too. I buy a bottle every 9-12 months or so, I think.  I do remember last time it had gone up but it was still affordable to me, especially compared with grocery store bottles. 

A few years ago I saw some warnings about Mexican vanilla so I internalized that and just never bought any.  Though for all I know, that's what's in my Kirkland bottle.

If you know anyone who is going to Mexico, ask them to bring back a bottle of Mexican Vanilla for you...

We can get Mexican vanilla in our local grocery stores in Texas.  I had forgotten the difference it makes until I was travelling and needed a small amount of vanilla and bought something else--I decided what I had made was not worth the bother.  If I am in a pinch and i can't find Mexican vanilla, I will use Adam's vanilla extract, but I am not sure how widely sold the brand is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LucyStoner said:

Vanilla prices are super high and will be basically anywhere for a while now.  

I pay what they want for the Costco real vanilla and just give thanks I won’t run out for a good long time.  

Me too.  Actually, I tell the kids whoever misbehaves in Costco gets traded in for the vanilla.  Of course then they fight over who gets to be left behind at Costco, because they all want to operate the pizza sauce machine for a living.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I have been happy with the Aldi pure vanilla.  A little more than $4 for 2 oz.

I used to buy it at Costco when it was cheaper.  We use a lot of vanilla.  We used to just eye ball the measure, but now we take out the teaspoon. lol

We use more when the bottle is bigger.

4 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I used to buy it by the pint from King Arthur flour, but it’s tripled in price in the last couple of years. I’m a baker, so I’m pretty picky about vanilla. Make-your-own is not up to my standards. I just got an 8oz of Rodelle’s from Kroger for $20, so I feel like I did well there. Rodelle’s is pretty decent. Anybody seen any good deals lately? 

See above about the Madagascar storm damage.

The best prices off the shelf/noncommercial prices I've seen are at Costco---$36 for 16 oz right now. We've still got a couple more years until those plants will recover.  I've switched away from using recipes that are vanilla heavy unless it's a super special occasion. 

How snobby are you about your vanilla? Rodelle is still Madagascarian bourbon based vanilla.  You could try branching out into Tahitian vanilla. I'm hesitant to use Mexican vanilla because of the entire Tonka bean controversy. The prices don't pass the sniff test.  There's a high global demand for vanilla, and reputable companies sell their products at market prices.  (Look at Mexican avocado prices iykwim.)  

If you're a commercial baker, I'm sure you've got your own sources, but Beanilla has a pint for $99.95....the gallon price is $599.  Vanilla queen has a pint for $63.

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

See above about the Madagascar storm damage.

The best prices off the shelf/noncommercial prices I've seen are at Costco---$36 for 16 oz right now. We've still got a couple more years until those plants will recover.  I've switched away from using recipes that are vanilla heavy unless it's a super special occasion. 

How snobby are you about your vanilla? Rodelle is still Madagascarian bourbon based vanilla.  You could try branching out into Tahitian vanilla. I'm hesitant to use Mexican vanilla because of the entire Tonka bean controversy. The prices don't pass the sniff test.  There's a high global demand for vanilla, and reputable companies sell their products at market prices.  (Look at Mexican avocado prices iykwim.)  

If you're a commercial baker, I'm sure you've got your own sources, but Beanilla has a pint for $99.95....the gallon price is $599.  Vanilla queen has a pint for $63.

Pretty sure KAF is a blend with Tahitian and Madigascarian. It’s good. I think I’ll stick with Rodelle’s since Im happy with product, price and company. Theres no Costco here. I’ll keep an eye out for sales/markdowns. I looked at Vanilla Queen, but never tried it. 

I used to be a retail baker in another life.