Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW23: June sojourn by bike and barge

Robin M

23 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I have been trying to find my book for this month’s  Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg.........I haven’t been overly successful with my libraries.  ? Nothing I have actually found is quite right ......lol

Last year I remember a discussion about a popular Dutch? Mystery author.  The books were in my overdrive I think.  I think someone here was reading the series, maybe Penguin.  Thet sounded good.....

Was the author Janwillem van de Wetering? Last year, I read Outsider in Amsterdam (Amsterdam Cops Mysteries #1).

--

Not much reading to report. I finished Peace Like a River. Meh. But at least I can count it as North Dakota in my USA Challenge. 

Mothersweets and Aggieamy, I love the coloring! I am doing both a Round-the-World and a 50-states challenge for myself. Maybe I will add colored maps to my book journal.

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Was the author Janwillem van de Wetering? Last year, I read Outsider in Amsterdam (Amsterdam Cops Mysteries #1).

Thank you!  ? I suspect Outsider in Amsterdam is the book I remember because I can get it at one of my physical libraries.  I am very tempted to transfer it in........lol. The only problem is I don’t seem to be finishing paper books right now,  at least a Kindle book has a chance of being completed.  At this point I am going with the detective series set in Bruges that is in Overdrive.  Terribly lazy!

Btw Pieter Aspe is the author for the Bruges series.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, loesje22000 said:

Reading dying in the wool (Kate Shackleton#1) someone wears a ‘gymnasium suit’. Is that a thing? Do people really those thing I see in google images? Gymnasium is in Dutch (Netherlands) the Latin-Greek track. They don’t wear specific suits...

Early 20th-century exercise clothing:

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gymnasium_suit_1905-1915_DSCF2211.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, loesje22000 said:

Reading dying in the wool (Kate Shackleton#1) someone wears a ‘gymnasium suit’. Is that a thing? Do people really those thing I see in google images? Gymnasium is in Dutch (Netherlands) the Latin-Greek track. They don’t wear specific suits...

I would take that to mean what we do also call track suits... like what the gymnasts at the Olympics put on over their leotards when they're on the bench or coming on to the field. Yes, similar things are worn by men also and also by some people for evert day when not actually doing anything remotely athletic...

• Like 6

Did any of you have to wear gym uniforms  -- one piece snap up rompers -- for PE? I know I had to circa 1971. I've tried to block it from my memory but here it is in this photo on this blog. Scroll down til you see the horrific blue jumper, complete with bloomers with the embroidered name. Yep -- ours had to be monogrammed, too. 

< shudders from the memories >

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Lol, I had no idea when the book was set; I was thinking late 20th-century! 

1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

A quick googling indicates it’s set just after the First World War.

I thought it was set just after WWII, referring back to life in the interbellum ...

1 hour ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Did any of you have to wear gym uniforms  -- one piece snap up rompers -- for PE? I know I had to circa 1971. I've tried to block it from my memory but here it is in this photo on this blog. Scroll down til you see the horrific blue jumper, complete with bloomers with the embroidered name. Yep -- ours had to be monogrammed, too. 

We had shorts and shirts, but I am a litle younger then

• Like 7

The idea of map colouring sounds like a fun retro idea - it was an enjoyed homeschooling activity in our home

Since I’m a Rebel Bus reader I’ve hopped and skipped all over Britain and have 5 more counties I'd like to fill, along with the ”just for fun” slots, to complete the Brit Trip challenge.   As some of the TBRs are physical books I’m a wee while off being finished yet ?

Here are the books I’ve read, mostly audiobooks, for Ichnield Way: 

• Isle of Wight/  First Lady ~ Sonia Purnell  (4.5) N/F
  • Dorset/   The Remains of the Day ~ Kazuo Ishiguro  (4) 
  • Hampshire/    An Impartial Witness: Bess Crawford Bk2 ~ Charles Todd (3)
  • Berkshire/  Elizabeth the Queen ~ Sally Bedell Smith (4) N/F  
  • Buckinghamshire/  Death in the Stocks ~ Georgette Heyer (3)
  • Hertfordshire/  Frederica ~ Georgette Heyer (5)
  • (currently reading)   Essex/  Proof of Guilt: Ian Rutledge Bk15 ~ Charles Todd  
  • Suffolk/   A Casualty of War:  Bess Crawford #9 ~ Charles Todd (3.5) 
  • Norfolk/   An Accidental Death: Bk1 ~ ~ Peter Grainger (4)

With other reading, I’m aiming for a result similar to Quill’s – trying to complete a Classic each month and at least 1 non-fiction book.  Sometimes one or other of those reads also meets a Brit Trip requirement, which ends up feeling like a win-win.

• Like 7

On 6/7/2018 at 5:00 AM, aggieamy said:

Hertfordshire .... I haven't found a book to read yet this week

Two Heyer books land there: Frederica, and, The Foundling.   A Long Shadow, and, The Red Door both by Charles Todd trip thru there too.  Or, you could use one of your wildcards....  ?   

On 6/1/2018 at 3:37 PM, Violet Crown said:

For West Midlands, I plan to read Henry Green's 1929 novel Living, set in Birmingham

For Staffordshire, just about anything by Arnold Bennett would work. Maybe The Old Wives Tale

Looking forward to your, eventual, review of this book.    The Old Wives Tale sounds like a read I might enjoy, it's now added to my TBR list...  Thank you for the mention last week: I'm just a little late getting around to looking those up ? 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

We wore uniforms but no monogram.  Ours were stretchy powder blue and white. 

The only book that seems to be holding my attention is Faith Hunter’s Dark Angel. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36001084-dark-queen  I have to say it’s really good but I have fallen off the bus.

I have passed the halfway point in Woman in White.  It’s wonderful but really long.......sewing machine is back out today so no listening.

• Like 5

Good morning~ I went to the library yesterday to get new books for the local library reading program; the books are 'supposed' to be checked out from the library and I am trying to honor that soft requirement. I picked up three new audiobooks for some upcoming travel and yard work and two short (300 page) books that will complete two categories from the program.

I had to laugh, though, as I found out that the book that drove me batty last week (woman in the window) is on the best seller list and is going to be made into a movie. At least the wine drinking will be visible and not discussed in length.

• Like 7

This is the quilt I finished today.  It’s nickname is the Hippy Hedgehogs.  After the Horticultural Show in September it will become a gift for my friend’s daughter to cuddle up with when she studies for A levels.

93C11FDA-AAA8-4FF6-AC60-8E5EA4C75D5A.jpeg

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

This is the quilt I finished today.  It’s nickname is the Hippy Hedgehogs.  After the Horticultural Show in September it will become a gift for my friend’s daughter to cuddle up with when she studies for A levels.

I wish i could quilt but am not precisely enough. So i like to admire someone elses work: great job!

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

It’s nickname is the Hippy Hedgehogs

What a charming design and what lovely work, mumto2.  Your friend's daughter is a fortunate young woman.

13 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Did any of you have to wear gym uniforms  -- one piece snap up rompers -- for PE? I know I had to circa 1971

Mine was white, if I'm remembering correctly, rather than blue.  This was at a public school -- Black Junior High in Houston, Texas -- in the mid seventies.  It was just one more reason not to like physical education!

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6

3 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Wow! That's beautiful! Great job, mum!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I went to Catholic school so we had these awful/great button up peter pan collared shirts with our plaid skirts. Underneath them we'd wear red polyester shorts and then for gym we'd take off our uniform skirts so we'd be out there in our peter pan collar shirts and 80's polyester red shorts.

15 hours ago, loesje22000 said:

I thought it was set just after WWII, referring back to life in the interbellum ...

Yes. It is set just a few years after WWI.

10 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

Two Heyer books land there: Frederica, and, The Foundling.   A Long Shadow, and, The Red Door both by Charles Todd trip thru there too.  Or, you could use one of your wildcards....  ?   

Looking forward to your, eventual, review of this book.    The Old Wives Tale sounds like a read I might enjoy, it's now added to my TBR list...  Thank you for the mention last week: I'm just a little late getting around to looking those up ? 

Problem solved. Downloading The Foundling now! Thank you!

• Like 4

Earlier this afternoon, I finished Charles Stross' fifth book in the Merchant Princes series.  I've already begun book six. This is definitely a series that should be read in order.

The Revolution Business: Book Five of the Merchant Princes

"Things are going badly for the Clan in this SF novel of the Merchant Princes, the immensely popular series by Charles Stross. Locked in a vicious civil war for control over the kingdom of Niejwein, their army is bottled up inside a fortress under siege in two parallel universes at once. Duke Angbard, the Clan's leader, has been laid low by a stroke: plotters are already conspiring in readiness for the deadly dance to come.

Miriam, rescued from a tight spot in New Britain, finds the hopes of the young, progressive faction focused on her. But do they want her as a leader or a figurehead? She soon finds herself thrown into a desperate struggle for power. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to the Clan, researchers working for the US government have achieved a technological breakthrough."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4

Mumto2, beautiful quilt. Love it. 

Amy, what a great idea with the coloring map. I'm doing the Wooster challenge though so even if I had printed a map, I would have lost it. 

Negin, I hope you had a lovely vacation. 

As for what I am reading, I started I Contain Multitudes and recently finished Wicked Bugs. Clearly, I don't want to sleep at night due to being worried about visible and invisible bugs. 

• Like 6

I finished Dark Queen late last night and loved it!  It’s the latest in the Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter (which I haven’t been liking too much of late). I can’t wait to read the next installment.......I just hope there is one.  It ended a bit odd really and it could end with this book. ?. What were your feelings about the ending, Robin?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36001084-dark-queen

I picked up the graphic comic yesterday for my Mercyverse reread/fill in the blanks read.  I may just reread the Yellowrock series when I finish Mercyverse.

• Like 4

Some currently free books ~

today only:  Looking Backward: 2000–1887  by Edward Bellamy  

fiction:  The Depths  by Kirk Kjeldsen

"Kjeldsen's short novel moves at a blistering pace, putting Marah through one ordeal after another... This tense, haunting tale gives readers front-row seats to the protagonist's torment."  - Kirkus Reviews

TIme travel:  A Loop in Time (Time…  by Clark Graham

Supernatural fantasy:  I See Me (Oracle Book 1) and  Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Dowser Series Book 1)  both by Meghan Ciana Doidge

LGBT:  The Music of the Spheres by Chase Potter

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I finished Dark Queen late last night and loved it!  It’s the latest in the Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter (which I haven’t been liking too much of late). I can’t wait to read the next installment.......I just hope there is one.  It ended a bit odd really and it could end with this book. ?. What were your feelings about the ending, Robin?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36001084-dark-queen

I picked up the graphic comic yesterday for my Mercyverse reread/fill in the blanks read.  I may just reread the Yellowrock series when I finish Mercyverse.

Oh man. I do know she's working on the next book in the series so it isn't The End.  

At first I was kind of miffed at Jane's attitude and it took me a bit to realize she was grieving but also trying to take care of business.  The second read through I understood her more and how she was behaving.  Then the Epilogue had me teary eyed.  So pretty much ran the gamut of emotions.   

Love the hedgehog quilt. So cute!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Robin M said:

Oh man. I do know she's working on the next book in the series so it isn't The End.  

At first I was kind of miffed at Jane's attitude and it took me a bit to realize she was grieving but also trying to take care of business.  The second read through I understood her more and how she was behaving.  Then the Epilogue had me teary eyed.  So pretty much ran the gamut of emotions.   

Love the hedgehog quilt. So cute!

I was too lazy to try and figure out if she had started the next one.  I am glad and relieved to know it’s in progress!

The epilogue was a shock in many ways.  Without doing a spoiler I have to say I have never encountered the particular problem in any of my other books with paranormal characters.......honestly I am pretty puzzled about how but I can go with it! ?

Thanks for all the compliments on the Hedgehogs.....I played with a pattern for what is known as a Hazel the Hedgehog quilt.  Machine quilting again today, a bookcase quilt that I am figuring out as I sew.  I have one more gift I need for the fall (this one will be going to conservatory with a different friend’s dd) then I can go back to my hand piecing and listening to audiobooks.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 4:12 PM, loesje22000 said:

Thanks!

I set the book a little too late then...

On 6/7/2018 at 11:59 PM, Violet Crown said:

A quick googling indicates it’s set just after the First World War.

I just finished listening to it so I know it was set just after WWI. The sleuth's husband went missing during the war and there's a good bit of talk in the book about the men who were lost in that war. 

On 6/8/2018 at 12:21 AM, JennW in SoCal said:

Royal blue. Like this one. And now apparently you can buy them on Etsy and eBay because they're vintage. Only someone who never endured the torture of gym class and wearing those things would want one.  

• Like 7