Menu

General AirBnB Questions

scbusf

We are getting ready to leave on a 2 week road trip. We will be staying in several different AirBnB houses. This will be our first AirBnB experience!!!!!!

What do I need to know? Do most places have basic cleaning supplies? Cooking supplies? (Yes, we're weird and tend to cook while we're on vacation.) What should I bring???

Are you driving? I would pack a box of staples like olive oil and a few spices, perhaps even ingredients for the first couple of meals. Otherwise stay flexible and shop when you see what they have for cooking utensils.

Usually they have basic cleaning stuff like dishwashing detergent and laundry detergent, but if you are driving...

I don't think it is weird to cook on vacation, that is one of the benefits of an Airbnb!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Are you driving? I would pack a box of staples like olive oil and a few spices, perhaps even ingredients for the first couple of meals. Otherwise stay flexible and shop when you see what they have for cooking utensils.

Usually they have basic cleaning stuff like dishwashing detergent and laundry detergent, but if you are driving...

I don't think it is weird to cook on vacation, that is one of the benefits of an Airbnb!

Yes, driving. We tend to pack light clothes-wise so we can do laundry. So we will have plenty of room for supplies.

We have found that there is usually everything one would need for cooking utensils and basic cleaning.  Often even laundry soap.  But no guarantees.  I would bring a little bit of anything you know you need like dish soap, paper towels, etc.... or plan to be flexible to make a store run should you need something not provided.  Most even have basic spices, cooking oils, and coffee, but again that varies.  These are usually left by previous guess rather than provided by the host so it is hit or miss.  We tend to just deal with whatever is there.  We usually do cook but always make a grocery run so get what we need after we see what is available.  A basic kit with small amount of spices, oils, and coffee is wise just so you don't have to lug around a big bottle of olive oil to each place.

• Like 2

I'm staying in an airbnb now. I didn't want to have to shop right away so I brought things for breakfast the next day which for me means oats, almond milk, some nuts, chia seeds, and my vitamins. I knew from the website information that some basic food like coffee and bread would be provided. I wish I had brought paper towels, tissues, and TP from home. We ate out the first night.

This thread is timely as I'm talking with a woman (locally - our dd's are friends) and she stays in AirBnB ALOT!  They are originally from CA but live here in NC. Her mother is still there and they fly back 2x a year.  She says it's the only way to go as it's more cost-conscious.  I have not stayed at an ABB yet but dd is on the other computer right now looking ABB places for us for go on a 1 night Mother and Daughter getaway.  Thinking ahead to a European vacation we may very likely stay in ABB's.  

With all of that said, I agree with skimomma!  We go to the mountains quite a bit.   Over the years we'd book for 5-7 days at a time.  To help defray eating out every meal, I would pack up those items that would be expensive to rebuy on-site.  While it's true you can buy the smaller version, many times it only takes a little more money to buy the regular, bigger version you use at home.  I packed up: dryer sheets (zip lock baggie), liquid detergent - enough for 2 loads but you'd need more and I put in a plastic tub/lid like those you get from the deli at a grocery store), large/tall kitchen trash bags for dirty/soiled clothes, and items like sugar, flour, spices, etc of which I'd use not a whole bag's worth, cards, board game, books, etc.  Remember to take all of your electronic device's chargers.  I would also buy these items on sale at home to transport (the items mentioned and the following) cereal, bread, pasta, etc, etc.  Basically, I brought from home what I already had on hand because I buy when there are sales and other items I'd get there.  Obviously other "fresh" items I'd buy there like milk, eggs, meat and so on.  HTH! 

The one I stayed at last week did not have cleaning supplies and needed a good scrub down and to be swept. The sheets also hadn’t been washed between people. I really felt taken by having to pay that cleaning fee, clearly it wasn’t being cleaned well. 

2 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Thinking ahead to a European vacation we may very likely stay in ABB's.  

I have stayed in more AirB&Bs overseas than I have in the US, which is saying a lot since it is our primary lodging mode even domestically.  I find them the only way to go for international travel.  Not only is it usually far more economical per night, the ability to cook, do laundry, and chill makes it even more cost effective.  It also brings my anxiety down a lot.  I get easily overwhelmed by crowds and "the unknown."  Knowing we can eat in or have a low-key evening at "home" any time we want makes the other travels snafus less daunting.  I can still feel like I am doing "something" by drinking wine on the deck of an AirB&B in the middle of a major European city while holing up in a hotel room seems like such a waste.

Just now, Rachel said:

The one I stayed at last week did not have cleaning supplies and needed a good scrub down and to be swept. The sheets also hadn’t been washed between people. I really felt taken by having to pay that cleaning fee, clearly it wasn’t being cleaned well. 

Did the place have lots of reviews?  Dh is more adventurous than I am and will stay in places that have sketchy reviews (or none at all) to save a few bucks when he is traveling alone.  I am not.  I will only stay at places that have LOTS of reviews.  Dh has ended up in dirty places.  It has never happened to me.  The closest to a bad experience I have personally experienced was actually the last place we stayed.  It was clean but we had to make up our own beds and were short some bedding items to have enough to go around.  A quick call to the hosts resulted in delivery of the missing parts.  We were not terribly surprised because the place was far cheaper than normal for the market and the reviews were positive but there had been more mentions of "comfortable" (AKA a dump) than I would normally be comfortable with.  However we were reserving last minute during a busy weekend in that locale.  It was that place or paying 3x as much for a crappy chain hotel room, so I agreed to it.

6 minutes ago, skimomma said:

Did the place have lots of reviews?  Dh is more adventurous than I am and will stay in places that have sketchy reviews (or none at all) to save a few bucks when he is traveling alone.  I am not.  I will only stay at places that have LOTS of reviews.  Dh has ended up in dirty places.  It has never happened to me.  The closest to a bad experience I have personally experienced was actually the last place we stayed.  It was clean but we had to make up our own beds and were short some bedding items to have enough to go around.  A quick call to the hosts resulted in delivery of the missing parts.  We were not terribly surprised because the place was far cheaper than normal for the market and the reviews were positive but there had been more mentions of "comfortable" (AKA a dump) than I would normally be comfortable with.  However we were reserving last minute during a busy weekend in that locale.  It was that place or paying 3x as much for a crappy chain hotel room, so I agreed to it.

Yes there were a lot of reviews and they were all positive. My friend rented it and actually got a hair dryer from the host, but never complained about how dirty it was. The rest of us encouraged her to make sure she leaves a review for future people but I don’t think she will. 

25 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Yes there were a lot of reviews and they were all positive. My friend rented it and actually got a hair dryer from the host, but never complained about how dirty it was. The rest of us encouraged her to make sure she leaves a review for future people but I don’t think she will. 

I seem to recall leaving a private review that only the host and AIrBnB can read. We had an unusual thing happen, and had to catch an early overseas flight, so I was trying to quickly shoot the host a text plus follow up later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

From an Airbnb superhost:  Find your reservation and click "ask for refund" or whatever it says (or otherwise contact Airbnb) right away.  You have a time limit.  Ask to be refunded the cleaning fee.  They may do it!

• Like 2

To the OP, I am a two+ year Airbnb superhost -- I don't have much to add, just wanted to say I hope you enjoy your trip!  Every Airbnb will be a little bit different, obviously.  If a place lists "kitchen" or "kitchenette" as an amenity, I would assume the very basic kitchen/cooking (and cleaning) stuff is there.  I have a kitchenette in mine and have coffee, sugar, creamer, tea, condiments, oil, vinegar and several basic spices available.  I have one of each basic pot, skillet, baking pan, dishes, silverware, and cooking utensils too. 

But I guess telling you about mine doesn't help you!  Again, my main reason for posting was to tell you I hope all goes well! 

• Like 3

I've stayed in many airbnb's and they all vary.  I'd say the only guarantee for us has been dish soap and TP.  Sometimes there is more than that, but never less.  Sometimes other guests have left things like tea and spices and coffee filters.  Sometimes the host will have shampoo and hand soap.  If there's a kitchen, there'll at least be a pan or two and some utensils, but it might be the very bare minimum.  

If we're staying long-term (we often stay a month or more), we can usually ask for things like a broom, vacuum cleaner, more towels, etc.  

On 5/9/2018 at 7:17 AM, scbusf said:

We are getting ready to leave on a 2 week road trip. We will be staying in several different AirBnB houses. This will be our first AirBnB experience!!!!!!

What do I need to know? Do most places have basic cleaning supplies? Cooking supplies? (Yes, we're weird and tend to cook while we're on vacation.) What should I bring???

i would think that would be in the listing.

I've stayed in rental condos as well as hotel/motels which had kitchens.

dh and I are staying in three different AirB&Bs during a trip this summer.  (our first time with airbnb) they each are listed to have an equipped kitchen.   

we are flying - taking with us is not an option.  so, we'll have to use what they have, or buy on site.

in my experience, what one owner considers equipped will vary from another owner. 

they all had basic cleaning supplies for washing dishes, and wiping up spills.    heavy duty cleaning supplies (re: vacuum) were dependent upon if there was daily maid service or not.

Thank you everyone! I think my plan is to pack a bag with a few general things - hand soap (I'm sensitive to certain smells), wipes, etc. I'm not going to go crazy - all the areas we are staying in will have decent grocery stores nearby.