Menu

Talk to me about toaster ovens.

We have a Cuisinart.  It's very old, the finish on the buttons is getting worn off (mostly the "toast" button), but it works great.  Don't remember how much we paid for it.  

Since we use it for a lot of cheesy things, I cover the crumb tray with aluminum foil and replace it whenever we start having cheese fires.  

I think my next one will hold a 9x13 pan... not sure yet because I'm not sure I want to sacrifice the counter space.

We used to use ours often and had one similar to this Cuisinart except ours also had permanent stones on each side and a removable baking stone for the bottom.  I don't think they make it anymore because I can't find it. At the time it cost over $200 and we had it for more than 10 years. It took up a lot of room on my counter and when we got a new stove/oven that had a convection setting I hardly used the toaster oven anymore. 

I wanted my counter space back but still needed an occasional toaster oven. We also had a regular toaster but I decided we'd get rid of that and just use the toaster oven. We bought this cheap Black and Decker and have been happy. We mostly use it for toast and to occasionally heat food. I don't use it for cooking as I did with the Cuisinart. It supposedly can fit a small pizza but we don't do frozen pizza and when I make it from scratch I usually make 2 so we can have leftover pizza. 

The bottom line is it depends on what you want to do with it. If you're going to use it for a fair amount of cooking and not just for toast and heating food, go for a better one. If it's a glorified toaster, cheap but sturdy will be fine.

• Like 1

another must have - an led/similar display so when you toast/reheat - it's consistent time instead of some general knob you have to guess... . .i now set a timer on my stove or microwave.   I've got to get another one . . .

my son's also demanded we get an actual toaster.

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

We used to use ours often and had one similar to this Cuisinart except ours also had permanent stones on each side and a removable baking stone for the bottom.  I don't think they make it anymore because I can't find it. At the time it cost over $200 and we had it for more than 10 years. It took up a lot of room on my counter and when we got a new stove/oven that had a convection setting I hardly used the toaster oven anymore. 

I wanted my counter space back but still needed an occasional toaster oven. We also had a regular toaster but I decided we'd get rid of that and just use the toaster oven. We bought this cheap Black and Decker and have been happy. We mostly use it for toast and to occasionally heat food. I don't use it for cooking as I did with the Cuisinart. It supposedly can fit a small pizza but we don't do frozen pizza and when I make it from scratch I usually make 2 so we can have leftover pizza. 

The bottom line is it depends on what you want to do with it. If you're going to use it for a fair amount of cooking and not just for toast and heating food, go for a better one. If it's a glorified toaster, cheap but sturdy will be fine.

That looks like the new version of what we have. 

Cuisinart convection user here. We have used in at least once per day for the past 10+ years. And, for a couple of years, I made bread in it- a full size loaf tented with foil to protect the top from burnt skid-marks from the upper heating element.

We love our Cusinart convection.  However I recommend the stainless steel version over the enamel version (if they even sell it anymore.)  After 10 years of use the enamel started to peel and flake.  Even though the oven still worked great, we bought a new one.