Menu

School in a box options

macmacmoo

Kids will be turning 10, 7, 4, and 1 this summer. I’m happy with the 10 year old doing Saxon 5/4 and beast academy 3 and MCT. The 7 year old is doing phonics pathways and some math thing on found on TPT that really really speaks to him. 

And I’m so ready to drop everything else and follow someone on else’s checklist for a year. And I don’t want to do a little from here and a little from there. Everything in one nice box please. 

All I can think of is Memoria Press. I know there are tons more options but I’m drawing a complete blank. 

Memoria Press uses lots of quality stuff, just be prepared to do some of the workbook stuff orally if you need to.

Alternately, maybe you have a bit of spring burn out?  I feel like all of us are ready to drop everything and sit by the pool, lol.  We're taking a partial spring break next week for at home subjects to see if that helps.  But maybe you just need summer break and wait awhile before you think about planning.  Many years back I thought a box would help me.  Everyone was 12 years and younger, dh was deployed, and I thought I would prefer not making decisions about everything.  We tried HOD and it was just too much stuff, too much shifting gears between so many little things.  We lasted 6 weeks and then we streamlined to easier things - everyone listening to SOTW together on CD, etc.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, macmacmoo said:

Kids will be turning 10, 7, 4, and 1 this summer. I’m happy with the 10 year old doing Saxon 5/4 and beast academy 3 and MCT. The 7 year old is doing phonics pathways and some math thing on found on TPT that really really speaks to him. 

And I’m so ready to drop everything else and follow someone on else’s checklist for a year. And I don’t want to do a little from here and a little from there. Everything in one nice box please. 

All I can think of is Memoria Press. I know there are tons more options but I’m drawing a complete blank. 

If you want school in a box, where they tell you what to teach and when to teach it, then you'd want something that you actually enroll your children in, like CLASS or Calvert or ABeka Academy or Oak Meadow. Timberdoodle, Book Shark, and Sonlight will send you a box of books, but you still have to do all of the scheduling and organizing and grading and whatnot. I wouldn't put  Heart of Dakota or My Father's World on that list, as in no way are they school in a box. :-)

6 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Alternately, maybe you have a bit of spring burn out?  I feel like all of us are ready to drop everything and sit by the pool, lol.  We're taking a partial spring break next week for at home subjects to see if that helps.  But maybe you just need summer break and wait awhile before you think about planning.  Many years back I thought a box would help me.  Everyone was 12 years and younger, dh was deployed, and I thought I would prefer not making decisions about everything.  We tried HOD and it was just too much stuff, too much shifting gears between so many little things.  We lasted 6 weeks and then we streamlined to easier things - everyone listening to SOTW together on CD, etc.  

I am pretty sure it is a case of spring burn out. DH is deployed. My mom keeps calling asking if I stuck the kids in school. 

I did look through all the suggestions mainly because I saw one when the 10 was really really struggling with reading that if his reading ever improved we might get it a try. But alas I didn’t find it. Or perhaps he he might like has since changed. 

Perhaps  I should start a new thread and call it “looking for recommendations for snuggle couch time” or maybe “pool side curriculum” ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, macmacmoo said:

I am pretty sure it is a case of spring burn out. DH is deployed. My mom keeps calling asking if I stuck the kids in school. 

<snip>

Perhaps  I should start a new thread and call it “looking for recommendations for snuggle couch time” or maybe “pool side curriculum” ?

Oh, I can recommend a solution for that: Put all the books away. Keep a routine, because life must go on (laundry and meals and some level of housekeeping), but don't do anything that looks like school. If you live close enough to a library, go there and let everyone hang out. They can check out books or not. *You* look for books that would be good read-alouds and bring them home. Take some field trips. Have jammy days, or movie days. And when y'all feel better, pick up where you left off.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, macmacmoo said:

I did look through all the suggestions mainly because I saw one when the 10 was really really struggling with reading that if his reading ever improved we might get it a try. But alas I didn’t find it. Or perhaps he he might like has since changed. 

We are currently on spring break - week 3. I just wanted you to know you are not the only one who's not feeling it right now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, macmacmoo said:

Oh, big hugs!!  Deployment is rough.  I've been through it.  Take a week off, at least.  After that, do math, reading, writing/copywork and be done.  Use audio books or whatever you need to to engage and enrich the kids when you need a break.  Try to have regular meet ups with friends if you can - it made the biggest difference in my sanity.  PM me if you want.  My dh went to Iraq when I had a 4yo, 1.5yo, and newborn.  He went to Afghanistan when I had 5 kids age 2 to 12.

On April 6, 2018 at 1:56 PM, macmacmoo said:

I'd get stern with your mom and tell her if she doesn't lay off that you won't talk with her for a week. You can say it more politely, but it needs to stop. You know where the school is and you see the bus. If you wanted to do it, you know how.

This winter has been so long, at least where we are. Not severe, just on and on. We've had snow twice in April! So if that's going on where you are, that's part of it. Any money to go to Disney? See if you can get a hotel on Priceline. The Hyatt gives you free breakfast. Pack 'em all up, buy your tickets through Shades of Green, and just go. Epcot is geography, right? Do something else for a while, take that long break. Or if Disney blows the bank, then go visit a relative with a pool with better weather. But seriously, sometimes you can get a room at a hotel with breakfast and a pool for $80. You'd make out pretty well with your number of kids, lol. 

As far as curriculum, you're already hitting math and LA, so you're just looking for gravy. Don't look for something all-inclusive and overwhelming, just something short and sweet that you can add. Is there something you LIKE that you've been neglecting? Something for science or art, a book you could work through for 6-8 weeks... Around that age we spent a month working through projects in the Discovering Great American Artists book. You're coming into spring. You could take nature walks each day and draw and use field guides.  Don't make it uber complicated. Go to the park every day if your weather is nice enough. That will get you social also.

The other thing you can do to encourage yourself is start looking forward. Are you a member of the Y? Ours has scholarships, and they have camps and a terrific summer swim lessons program. You might see what options you have there, something to break things up. 

• Like 1

Bingo. You're never getting a break. You take 'em to the Y, pop 'em in the childwatch rooms, and you go exercise or scream in the steam room or just talk with adults. That's what I do. My father was in the military, but for me it's my ds where I need a break. I'm a lot saner if I get a little time to talk to adults, and happily the Y pays people to sit at a desk and talk to you, hahahaha. :D

I went through a "homeschool burnout-breakdown" about a year ago.  I've always put our curriculum together myself, but we had our 5th kid 3 years ago (a boy) and lemme just say I no longer have the ability to do anything, much less build a curriculum for 5 kids.    

My dh bought MFW last year for two of my younger kids and it really helped so much.  This spring, we bought the next level of MFW for dd10 and the preschool level for ds3 (hard to explain, but he had been screaming to "do school" like the other kids).  The older 3 are using SL (a curriculum I told myself I would never use).  But, it's been so much easier this year.  I still have to do a little bit of planning to get books from the library and I revert to TWTM writing methods, but it's been very open-and-go.

Buying a boxed curriculum, I also realized I was expecting WAY too much out of my kids.  Now, when they're done for the day in the IG, they're done.   

13 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I'd get stern with your mom and tell her if she doesn't lay off that you won't talk with her for a week. You can say it more politely, but it needs to stop. You know where the school is and you see the bus. If you wanted to do it, you know how.

Thankfully my mom only calls about once a month. When I hang up I have an urge to hug each of the kids, read them a book, and then tidy the house. It's weird since I hate cleaning. 

This winter has been so long, at least where we are. Not severe, just on and on. We've had snow twice in April! So if that's going on where you are, that's part of it. Any money to go to Disney? See if you can get a hotel on Priceline. The Hyatt gives you free breakfast. Pack 'em all up, buy your tickets through Shades of Green, and just go. Epcot is geography, right? Do something else for a while, take that long break. Or if Disney blows the bank, then go visit a relative with a pool with better weather. But seriously, sometimes you can get a room at a hotel with breakfast and a pool for $80. You'd make out pretty well with your number of kids, lol. 

We had a light dusting yesterday. DH will be home very soon. We will be taking the Amtrack auto train to the Legoland in Florida and very slowly driving home. If we didn't have a the trip planed with him in May I would start looking at the hotels near us.There is an extended stay type one that not only has a pool and free breakfast but if you stay during the week has free dinner!

As far as curriculum, you're already hitting math and LA, so you're just looking for gravy. Don't look for something all-inclusive and overwhelming, just something short and sweet that you can add. Is there something you LIKE that you've been neglecting? Something for science or art, a book you could work through for 6-8 weeks... Around that age we spent a month working through projects in the Discovering Great American Artists book. You're coming into spring. You could take nature walks each day and draw and use field guides.  Don't make it uber complicated. Go to the park every day if your weather is nice enough. That will get you social also.

I'm dreadful at following the rabbit trails of complicated curriculum. I'd love to hear more examples of short and sweet options.

The other thing you can do to encourage yourself is start looking forward. Are you a member of the Y? Ours has scholarships, and they have camps and a terrific summer swim lessons program. You might see what options you have there, something to break things up. 

The kids go to a CC like co-op on Fridays. Thankfully it cost less than a hundred to enroll the two older plus hanging out in the nursery with four other moms as we keep an eye on a dozen or so four and unders. It was amazing for me to be with other moms. But we didn't do anything academic with it, the curriculum rubbed me the wrong way so I didn't do much with it at home. Which meant my kids had no idea on the memory work stuff. But 20 weeks worth of simple science and art projects for the cost isn't bad. Eldest like hanging out with the other kids. Middle son hates it. youngest son is hang off my hip and baby is her happy little self. This all end in two weeks. I might join them for a park day, but wont be doing the co-op next year.     

We also go to home school swim lessons. That a lot of fun. I like the group of mom's there more. It's currently for the two older, as soon as I potty train youngest son he will start as well. When we started the boys had back to back classes it has fluctuated to the point were there was 2 hours between their classes. We let it be our one lunch out splurge.

If I can find a place that does classes during the day versus just evenings I might add tae kwon for the boys in the fall.

I don't know it also comes down to life with DH at home. Before he deployed he was leaving the house at 4 in the morning and wasn't home till 7 or 8 at night (I hate to admit it but him deploying was an improvement in some areas). Rumors are his job when he gets back will have him away from home for fewer hours each day but with unpredictable hours most likely leaving closer to lunch and home late, or the four days and four days off, or nights, or same hours as before but once a week go work at a museum. With all those possibilities i'm just happy that none of the rumors included PCS. Eldest is almost 10, he has been through 5 PCS's already. I suppose that's part of my craziness: I'm not packing or unpacking.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Evanthe said:

I went through a "homeschool burnout-breakdown" about a year ago.  I've always put our curriculum together myself, but we had our 5th kid 3 years ago (a boy) and lemme just say I no longer have the ability to do anything, much less build a curriculum for 5 kids.    

My dh bought MFW last year for two of my younger kids and it really helped so much.  This spring, we bought the next level of MFW for dd10 and the preschool level for ds3 (hard to explain, but he had been screaming to "do school" like the other kids).  The older 3 are using SL (a curriculum I told myself I would never use).  But, it's been so much easier this year.  I still have to do a little bit of planning to get books from the library and I revert to TWTM writing methods, but it's been very open-and-go.

Buying a boxed curriculum, I also realized I was expecting WAY too much out of my kids.  Now, when they're done for the day in the IG, they're done.   

How are you liking All Aboard the Animal Train? Can I PM you about MFW and SL?

7 hours ago, macmacmoo said:

How are you liking All Aboard the Animal Train? Can I PM you about MFW and SL?

Sure!

And he LOVES All Aboard the Animal Train.  It's actually a huge joke in this house.  He will cry, because he wants to "do school".  We've done like 2-3 days of that curriculum in one day, because he keeps wanting to do more stuff.  I made the mistake of taping the squares where it says "Story Time", "Surprise Time", "Outdoor Time", etc to the wall in the living room and he'll run over to the wall and point to "Story Time" (for example) at the worst time (like when I'm cooking dinner) and frantically wait for me to read him a book.  I eventually had to take the booklist from the back of the IG and request a big stack of those books once a week from the library to slow him down.  He forces us all to listen to that CD with all the animal songs even when we it's not scheduled.  We bought the package with all the activity stuff with it - like the Discovery Blocks, the Wedgits, etc.  When we started in December, I didn't think he was capable of even sitting still long enough to read a book, but he's been able to do everything so far.  He's even able to build those pictures that come in the activity book for the Discovery Blocks (shocked me!  I didn't think he could do that!).