Menu

Bulk Non-Perishable Lunch Ideas

umsami

I visited a school earlier this week, and while I was waiting in the office, I saw a stream of kids (maybe five or more) come into the office.   The admin would go in the back, and find some food to give them.  It was lunch time.  One kid got a plate full of rice krispies, and an apple.... another kid got some cheese + crackers and something else, etc.  I realized that these kids either didn't have lunch or had forgotten it, and the secretary was trying to give them something to tide them over from what they had in the back.

I'd like to make it easier on them by dropping off a donation.  Any ideas???

nutri-grain bars/protein bars  (costco will rotate what's on sale.)

trail mix

the mozzarella cheese sticks are great - but require refrigeration. most will go through them before they expire.  dudeling hated them.

those cheese and cracker things.

• Like 2

peanut butter crackers are probably a no go for a school, but what about cheese cracker sandwiches?

pretzels? apple sauce?

a jar of peanut butter substitute (assuming peanuts aren't allowed at school, a bunch of plastic knives, a jar of jelly, and a bag of bread?

tuna salad and crackers? I've seen tuna salad sold in little packets. Is that something kids will eat? Mine would, but it might seem weird to some kids. 

• Like 1

Little boxes of raisins or other dried fruit.  Fruit bowls in the plastic containers (I know Dole makes them) with plastic spoons. The tuna pouches, cereal bars, and protein bars are a good ideas.  I don't know if there are small packages of trail mix, but that might be an issue due to the nuts.  Any individual packages/bags of crackers or cereal.   

That is so nice of you to help! 

• Like 1

Little boxes of raisins or other dried fruit.  Fruit bowls in the plastic containers (I know Dole makes them) with plastic spoons. The tuna pouches, cereal bars, and protein bars are a good ideas.  I don't know if there are small packages of trail mix, but that might be an issue due to the nuts.  Any individual packages/bags of crackers or cereal.   

That is so nice of you to help! 

There are individual portions of trail mix but they have peanuts in them, yes.

Pop-tarts or an organic equivalent.  Not terribly nutritious, but they last forever and are super filling, and kids love them.  

Bel Vita bars are also amazingly filling, although a lot of kids might not like the texture.

Luna bars or Z Bars (Z Bars are probably appealing to more kids than Luna bars).  

One of my son's famous (in our house) sayings is, "Anything's a meal if you eat enough of it," so I would not necessarily focus on things that look like meals.

ETA:  Shelf-stable chocolate milk. It looks disgusting to me, like all milk products, but my HS senior lives on them, as do plenty of her friends.

Edited by plansrme
  • Like 2

Dehydrated or freeze dried fruits - leathers, chips, etc

Fresh shelf stable fruits - apples, banana, etc

Popcorn

Granola bars

Nuts - (these may or may not be allowed) peanut butter crackers, almond butter packet, roasted cashews, pistachios, etc

Juice boxes

Salted/dehydrated meat - jerky, etc

• Like 1

I keep a lot of snacks in the car because my older son is usually ravenous after school. Clif Bars, applesauce, crackers. Pepperoni sticks. Apples can last a week or even longer sitting out so that’s another option if they go through things fast.

Another thought- do the kids have access to a microwave? Not sure if it’s a high school or not. My brother keeps those single serve Mac and Cheese portions and heat and serve pasta pouches in his car for weeks at a time and they are fine.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

I donate to a fund that pays off the “school lunch debt†that kids across the district rack up.

I do this too. The local public schools give these funds to the school administrators and they manage the funds to pay for the lunches, supplies, field trips etc of kids who cannot afford these things.

• Like 1

I would actually see if I could start a fund that would buy hot lunch or at least something like sandwiches for kids who didn’t have a lunch. That way they could have access to some more filling foods that are perishable. The school could leverage its bulk buying power that way.

Alternately, what about asking for donations toward a refrigerator, microwave, cooler, or even an instant hot water kettle? Those would allow greater varieties of food too. I just feel like they could add so many forms of protein if they could keep things cool, and those would stick to little bellies better.

Otherwise:

Good granola bars

Pudding cups

Cheese or PB cracker packages

Trail mix

Olive cups

Fruit cups

Does anyone sell small veggie packets with dip that isn’t perishable?

Packages of nuts if the school isn’t nut free.

Pepperoni

Beef jerky

• Like 1

Raisins, applesauce cups. 

Do they have microwaves available?  That would let you get Easy Mac, Spaghettios, Ravioli, lots more options, in lunch size portions.

Oh yes, they do have a microwave.  That expands the options a lot. 

Yes! I saw massive packs of Ramen and Cup-o-Noodles last time I was at the warehouse store. I'll bring some of those in, definitely.

Check and see if they have room for the big packs. Maybe buy only one first. One of the schools near me doesn’t have much room as the food drawer is one section of the filing cabinet. Also, they might not want items that have to be microwaved.

Applesauce, raisins, pretzels, those ready to eat lunch kits of tuna/chicken are easy ideas on space and no prep.

• Like 1