Menu

Allergies...(pollen)

OneStepAtATime

I got hit bad a few days ago.  I'm miserable.  Any suggestions?  Flonase and Claritin are only taking a tiny edge off.  Eyes are tearing, ears feel clogged, nose constantly runs, head is full, I keep coughing from post nasal drip, etc..  All clear discharge.  No sign of infection.   Just constant allergic reaction.  I worry, though, that this will turn into an infection.

I feel exhausted.  I have a bad allergy to blooming cedar (one of the few things I am actually allergic to) and the pollen counts are high and expected to remain high for at least a week, probably longer.  I am assuming it is the cedar that is getting me.  In fact, pollen counts are higher right now than they have been in years.  I need to keep functioning and I am struggling to do so.  It feels like my brain is made of molasses.  

• Like 1

During bad allergy season I use the following:

Zatidor eye drops

Xyzal (I change antihistamines every so often)

Flonase (or Nasacort)

Singulair (prescription)

Sudafed (the behind the counter version)

Ocusoft lid scrub if eyes extra irritated during the day (these are little wipes)

Neti pot before bed

Shower before bed

Air filter in bedroom

Clean bedding more often.

Benadryl when it’s still not enough.

• Like 2

During bad allergy season I use the following:

Zatidor eye drops

Xyzal (I change antihistamines every so often)

Flonase (or Nasacort)

Singulair (prescription)

Sudafed (the behind the counter version)

Ocusoft lid scrub if eyes extra irritated during the day (these are little wipes)

Neti pot before bed

Shower before bed

Air filter in bedroom

Clean bedding more often.

Benadryl when it’s still not enough.

Wow.   :blink:

Well, if it works...'cause dang I'm ready to try nearly anything.

• Like 1

Zyrtec by day, benedryl by night, flonase as needed? I got into some sort of allergy coughing in the fall (a rare thing for me these days, after years of shots) and my dr told me to try xyzal. If it's bad enough, they can give prescriptions - I have one for sta-hist, which I haven't used, and they gave me samples for dymista, which was amazing but insurance is a pain with filling a prescription for it. Also, shower and rinse your hair right before bed so that you don't sleep in the pollen - keep your hair pulled back during the day if its long so that you don't get pollen trapped in it. I spent years with flu-like symptoms - exhaustion, aches, etc - from allergies - you have my sympathies.

• Like 3

Zyrtec by day, benedryl by night, flonase as needed? I got into some sort of allergy coughing in the fall (a rare thing for me these days, after years of shots) and my dr told me to try xyzal. If it's bad enough, they can give prescriptions - I have one for sta-hist, which I haven't used, and they gave me samples for dymista, which was amazing but insurance is a pain with filling a prescription for it. Also, shower and rinse your hair right before bed so that you don't sleep in the pollen - keep your hair pulled back during the day if its long so that you don't get pollen trapped in it. I spent years with flu-like symptoms - exhaustion, aches, etc - from allergies - you have my sympathies.

I do have long hair (at least waist length).  I've been thinking of getting it cut by a lot.  Maybe now is the time...

I feel your pain One.

I find Xyzal works better than Clariton.  I also take Flonase.  You might also try an allergy eye drop for the eyes. 

Despite the fact I'm on every type of allergy med known to man, I still have symptoms. 

I know you have suffered a LOT.  Hugs.

Dang I wish I had strep.  I could at least take antibiotics and be done with it...

• Like 1

I know you have suffered a LOT.  Hugs.

Dang I wish I had strep.  I could at least take antibiotics and be done with it...

Oh I know. 

Although I did have a nasty cold and sore throat last week and I now know it could be worse.  LOL

My worst symptoms are my eye balls. I can deal with the rest.  I can't seem to get relief for my eyes though.  It's so frustrating.  I seriously wonder if I can build a clean room in my home or get a bubble that I can hang out in once in awhile. 

• Like 1

On the high pollen days, or molds from all the biologicals that were under the snow now becoming exposed, I keep the windows closed and stay indoors.  It's old-school, but it's pretty effective. My uncle was allergic to grass. He spent a lot of summers growing up staying indoors, and it got him involved in model trains, planes and such. Hobbies he kept for life.

I never bring any outdoor allergens into the house, either.  I learned the hard way. In Norway, they LOVE bringing birch branches indoors for decoration. It's a complete killer for me. Lilac flowers are, too. 

Other than that, I use my double-strength (20 mg) Cetirizine when needed.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Lots of environmental control as others have mentioned, hair, pillow cases, etc. Washing and brushing pets.

Sinus flushes--we use the sinus bottles. Like a neti pot but easier. Do the rinses diligently.

Sudafed, the real stuff. 12-hour is better. It can keep you up at night, but if it's bad enough, it might help you stop sleeping and running enough to sleep.

12-hour mucinex (generic is fine) if you cough much.

You can get sudafed in mucinex and in the D versions of the antihistamines, but we use them all separately because we usually "dry up" before the need for the antihistamines or cough stuff goes away.

Some antihistamines can be doubled up--like taking two different kinds. You can also take claritin every 12 hours instead of 24. (But ask your doctor.)

Antihistamines are very person-specific. We have a very clear line in our household between those who prefer Claritin to Zyrtec. Allegra works for all who have tried it here.

• Like 1

O.k. so tonight I am changing the sheets, taking a shower, using a HEPA filter and tomorrow I am browsing through the store for different meds (there was no time today).  I will probably call the doc too and set up an appointment.  In the meantime, now even my teeth hurt (feels like pressure on my upper teeth so maybe sinus pressure pushing down on the roots?).

I do appreciate everyone giving such great feedback and support.  The HIVE is awesome.

• Like 1

O.k. so tonight I am changing the sheets, taking a shower, using a HEPA filter and tomorrow I am browsing through the store for different meds (there was no time today).  I will probably call the doc too and set up an appointment.  In the meantime, now even my teeth hurt (feels like pressure on my upper teeth so maybe sinus pressure pushing down on the roots?).

I do appreciate everyone giving such great feedback and support.  The HIVE is awesome.

Oh yuck.  You might even have a sinus infection. 

That is one area I kinda luck out.  I don't think I've ever had a sinus infection.

• Like 1

I thought of this thread this morning. We spent a few hours at a park yesterday so by the time I got home even my skin was itchy. I took a Zyrtec and the Asteline at the same time and it was like Good Night Irene. Pow. I was still soooo sleepy this morning. But at least my skin stopped itching. :)  I guess I need to space them out a few hours apart like normal. 

My dh just got back from a trip to Phoenix and I told him maybe we should move there because I doubt there is much to be allergic too. :)

I had in-laws that lived there for many years.  They ran into a bit of a shocker regarding allergies when they returned to Texas.  Neither had lived in their home state for a very long time.  

On a side note, I did buy Zyrtec and will try it today...

• Like 1

I thought of this thread this morning. We spent a few hours at a park yesterday so by the time I got home even my skin was itchy. I took a Zyrtec and the Asteline at the same time and it was like Good Night Irene. Pow. I was still soooo sleepy this morning. But at least my skin stopped itching. :)  I guess I need to space them out a few hours apart like normal. 

My dh just got back from a trip to Phoenix and I told him maybe we should move there because I doubt there is much to be allergic too. :)

Yeah that is the thing even with the drugs that don't cause drowsiness.  They DO cause drowsiness once you start combining them or increasing the dose. 

When I'm having a very bad day it's a balance between getting some relief and not being a complete zombie. 

• Like 1

Try Sudafed.  Sometimes it's the only thing that works.  Get the stuff behind the pharmacy counter, though, with the ephedra stuff in it.  Not the stuff right on the shelf.

ETA: But don't take it at night!  It will keep you up!

yes, Sudafed plus Zyrtec (not claritin) plus flonase

• Like 1

An ENT once told me that when Claritin was being formulated to be over the counter they wanted it to be non drowsy. But to get that they had to reduce the dosage so much it no longer really works. He recommended pretty much any other antihistamine, but Zyrtec or Chlortrimeton particularly. 

• Like 2

I found also dealing with fungus was a huge drop in how allergies affected me.   I've been treating for fungus since december.  started with a yeast cleanse, and have been continuing with a couple sups that kill the yeast.  one specifically attacks the spores. (so they dont' 'grow up')

• Like 1

I'm a year round allergy sufferer and Spring/Fall are essentially me just trying to avoid sinus infections and namely keep overall allergy load to a minimum. 

Due to recommendations here, I ordered NasalChrom to try this season.   I've read good things on Amazon as well.  ITs a nasal spray and not antihistamine based.  I've been unhappy with Flonase, Nasacort insofar as feeling too 'amped' when I took them and not noticing enough symptom improvement to tolerate the side effects.

During Fall/Spring, I usually take Allegra or Zyrtec daily, plus Benadryl at night if its a particularly bad day. Sudafed (the good stuff) frequently as well as REDD sinus (natural combo for respiratory- thins secretions).  Also NeilMed Sinus rinse from Costco.  I also have asthma and had my first set of allergy asthma attacks last Spring.  

My upper teeth, ears and sinuses have already been hurting so I'm probably starting my allergy regime too late now that I think of it. LOL

• Like 1

Oh, add Occusoft eyelid wipes to my list. They help with irritated eyes during the day.

I'm going to look for these.  My eyes are the worst.

I think what happens too is I rub my eyes so much that I irritate them further.  It's just so hard NOT to do that because they are so teary and irritated. 

• Like 2

I've had all the allergy testing and tried just about everything. There is something getting to me all year long.  During heavier allergy seasons, I usually take the max amount of nasal steroid sprays (this is the best if you have nasal allergies and congestion).  I also usually take Zyrtec, but am taking Claritin right now for the persistent post nasal drip caused by the allergies.  It seems to have a better effect (for me).  

Of course, changing your filters, washing your sheets, and taking a shower before bed or after being outside are all helpful too!

Hope you find some relief!  

Edited by Calli
spelling
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for continuing to make suggestions and showing such awesome support!  I am implementing various things and do feel better.  I sounded awful yesterday with all the coughing, sneezing and weird voice (and constantly tearing eyes) but honestly I was a lot more functional yesterday and those things did not feel nearly as bad as the day before.  I guess it looked worse from the outside looking in.  LOL

• Like 2