Menu

Which has better prices for glasses?

ashfern

We're not comfortable with online ordering of glasses (due to our own ineptitude at measuring and whatnot), so we recently went to Eyemart Express.  It was great.  About half of what we would pay at LensCrafters.  I was impressed.  (And by the way, I have -10ish and an astigmatism.  My dd is -5 ish.  We got both pairs for $474 total.)

• Like 2

Zenni has always worked for me.  The measuring is super easy.  I buy the cheapest frames possible because I have little kids and I'm irresponsible, so I tend to leave them down and/or lose them a lot.  I go through maybe 3 pairs a year. but at $10 or so a pair it is no big deal.

When I was in high school, before Zenni, I still went through 3 pairs a year, but only one was covered by insurance and my parents were not paying for 2 more (nor could they) at minimum $100 apiece.

So I did all kinds of creative things, including buying random glasses from the thrift store that more or less matched my prescription (that is, when I put them on I could see better than with them off and they didn't make me dizzy).

FWIW, I am -2.5 in both eyes, no astigmatism. 

• Like 1

I have been very pleased with my Walmart glasses.  I got the $9 frames and they held up very well and had a 1 year warranty.  I even returned a pair of glasses there and there was no problem.  I had tried bifocals and hated them......they were made correctly, I just hated the bifocal part.  I returned them and got a plain less glasses and they gave me the difference in price back in cash, no problem.

• Like 1

I also recommend Goggles4U. I have astigmatism, different scrips for each eye, and bifocals, and they worked out just fine. For less than half of what I would have spent on a pair at Costco with no bells and whistles, I got prescription sunglasses along with transitions lenses for my regular glasses--first time I've ever had those!

• Like 2

We use Zenni for my dd's glasses (-1.5 in one eye, +2 in the other, astigmatism). We get a call every time to doublecheck since she has a near and far sighted eye. So far, every one has worked. For a few years, her eyes changed so fast, she had a new prescription every 4-6 months. 

They won't give pupil distance out here. A couple of times I was able to peek and read the distance so we didn't have to measure. When we do order from the eye doctor, it'll come out to about $200 a pair after insurance. With 4 people in glasses, that's a no. 

• Like 1