Menu

Squeee!!!! My exciting grocery score!

TheReader

Okay, I'm so excited, and it's a surprise, and I have to tell someone, so you guys are it!!

My dh LOVES a certain flavor of ice cream (Buttered Pecan, by Blue Bell), which has lately been impossible to find. I actually messaged Blue Bell about it, and due to limited supply, increased demand, and higher cost of the type of pecans used, they are making it in limited quantities at the moment. Waah!! 

Well, this weekend is DH's birthday. And, today our brand-new, local H.E.B. opened up. And DH asked me to go ahead and get a variety pack of ice cream treats (ice cream sandwiches and such) because that was our substitution during the Blue Bell Listeria Drought of ....whatever year that was. So, I did, and that's in the freezer for him to find when he gets home from work tonight. 

But!!!! On a whim, I checked for Buttered Pecan. Just in case. Actually said out loud to my kids, "maybe by some Birthday Miracle, they'll have Dad's ice cream...." 

And they did!!!!!!

I unashamedly bought 4 cartons of it (leaving 2 on the shelf) (sorry folks) and stashed them in our outside freezer, to reveal to dh on his bday this weekend. 

It's been exceptionally stressful at our house lately, this week in particular; he just said to me today, "I just wish we could have a good day for a change, all of us...." 

He's going to be so thrilled!!! 

On top of that, oldest is in a good mood, the dog didn't get into anything at all while i was gone, and this might just be the good day dh was hoping for. 

Just had to share! (please no one chastise me for taking the majority of the stock....)

• Like 38

[quote name="TheReader" post="7975435" timestamp="

Just had to share! (please no one chastise me for taking the majority of the stock....)

No chastising from me, that’s my least favorite flavor and I’m not a huge fan of Blue Bell (ducking now and avoiding all Texans). Now if it had been Black Raspberry Chip from Graeters I wouldn’t have let you off so easy. 😊

Seriously though, it’s great you were able to find it for your husband’s birthday. I love it when things work out like that.

• Like 1

No chastising from me, that’s my least favorite flavor and I’m not a huge fan of Blue Bell (ducking now and avoiding all Texans). Now if it had been Black Raspberry Chip from Graeters I wouldn’t have let you off so easy. 😊

Seriously though, it’s great you were able to find it for your husband’s birthday. I love it when things work out like that.

re: the first bit.....I don't think I follow you....don't like Blue Bell????? Sorry, does not compute. ;) Now, the flavor, it's not our favorite either. No one in the family eats it but DH, which is already unfair he gets a whole half-gallon to himself, and the other 4 of us share a half gallon of Cookies & Cream. But....."not a fan of Blue Bell".....yea, can't wrap my head around that one, LOL! 

We were definitely in the "look, rest of the world with other ice cream flavors, when there's no Blue Bell, *there's no ice cream!* Period. The end." camp when the listeria hit. (which is why we switched to frozen treats like ice cream sandwiches and those drumsticks and such; it didn't feel like cheating on Blue Bell, and it didn't make us sigh and say "this is okay, but it's not Blue Bell..." 

Re: the end, thank you! 

Chastise you? I wouldn't have left any for others!

I'm so glad you got the good day you needed.  :hurray:

Well, I debated getting all 6 cartons.....but I'm still a little worried if it will be okay in the deep freeze or not, and if we decide to bring it to the regular freezer, I can only fit 4, probably. ;) 

But thank you! I'm actually waffling on giving him some now, it's just been that kind of day. But I think saving it for his bday will be even better, if I can pull it off. 

• Like 2

re: the first bit.....I don't think I follow you....don't like Blue Bell????? Sorry, does not compute. ;) Now, the flavor, it's not our favorite either. No one in the family eats it but DH, which is already unfair he gets a whole half-gallon to himself, and the other 4 of us share a half gallon of Cookies & Cream. But....."not a fan of Blue Bell".....yea, can't wrap my head around that one, LOL!

We were definitely in the "look, rest of the world with other ice cream flavors, when there's no Blue Bell, *there's no ice cream!* Period. The end." camp when the listeria hit. (which is why we switched to frozen treats like ice cream sandwiches and those drumsticks and such; it didn't feel like cheating on Blue Bell, and it didn't make us sigh and say "this is okay, but it's not Blue Bell..."

I think it’s because I have so much family in Texas always bragging about how great it is, it could never live up to my expectations!

• Like 1

Well, I debated getting all 6 cartons.....but I'm still a little worried if it will be okay in the deep freeze or not, and if we decide to bring it to the regular freezer, I can only fit 4, probably. ;)

But thank you! I'm actually waffling on giving him some now, it's just been that kind of day. But I think saving it for his bday will be even better, if I can pull it off. 

We are HUGE Blue Bell fans. (though I like a Christmas flavor that HEB has as well -- but it is seasonal and only available in the small pints).  We tried Graeters over our Ohio holiday and they do seem to have more variety this summer but we'll stick with Blue Bell.

• Like 3

There seems to be a stroke of good luck when it comes to ice cream lately on this forum.  LOL

I thought of you when I posted! I almost started with "This isn't as exciting as Kinsa's ice cream find, but close!!" LOL! 

Did they ever discover it? Was it enjoyed?? I missed the update, if there was one.....

Aw, I vote for give him some now, if it's been that kind of day.  He can have more on his birthday.  Twice the delight!

I might....I could put one carton in the freezer inside, and keep the other 3 hidden. I'll ask the boys and see what they think. (the ice cream treats, the drumsticks and such, will probably be enough of a pick-me-up for him that waiting is probably okay.....If I hadn't gotten those, too, I'd for sure give him one carton today. We'll see...)

I've never tried buttered pecan ice cream.  Now I want to try it. :)

It's okay. DH loves it, and it's good, but not my favorite.

And, for those who may ask, he was having such a bad day when I got home from Bible Study last night (we passed each other on the way in/out of the neighborhood....) I went ahead and showed him. He had asked me about my trip to the store, I mentioned getting ice cream (referencing the drumsticks he told me to buy....) and he asked, all excited, "Did they have my flavor???" 

:sigh:

I cannot lie to the man even when I try to, so I said "No!" but of course it came out sounding like "What? How did you know???" (he could totally tell from my tone of voice), so since he kind of knew already, I just took him out and showed him. He was surprised and delighted and really touched by the *FOUR* half-gallons of it, and I knew it was the right call. 

Some days, you just need your birthday surprise a few days early. 

And, because he loves me, he's waiting to eat it on his bday, so the kids don't know I blew the surprise. 

• Like 3

It's the little things sometimes isn't it? :) How fun to have that surprise for him. We have a similar situation with popcorn. One day we were out on a drive and stopped at a little hole in the wall station. Dh found a couple bags of the best buttered sweet corn tasting popcorn. We moved shortly after and couldn't find it anywhere except for Amazon at a ridiculous price. Turns out the local Dollar General started carrying it. I buy every single bag, lol. Usually between 6-8 of them. I don't feel a bit bad about it either. If others wanted it, they could have gotten their happy butts in to buy it. Meanwhile, I have a happy hubby because he gets his favorite snack.

I'm thinking they base their inventory orders on what's selling. So, you gals are keeping the demand high, right?

• Like 1

Them's fightin' words, missy...

I can't say I don't like Blue Bell, I mean it is ice cream after all and how can you not like ice cream but it's pretty low on the my list of brands to buy.  I'm from WI we have frozen custard in abundance, so I don't ever really need to settle for the low on the totem pole choices.