Menu

What's my responsibility re: keeping chicken pox from spreading?

My dd has chicken pox at the moment and her younger brother has not had it. I figure he could contract it from her anywhere from Nov. 5 - 9 which means IF he didn't contract the virus before then, then he could *possibly* be contagious from around Nov. 12 - 30. Does that mean I keep him from all activities that involve other children until the waiting time is over? He'd miss Awana, hockey, Sunday school, and our homeschool group's events which include my participation.

Thoughts? I want to be responsible, but not ridiculous, kwim?

Our Homeschool Group has a 21 day restriction from activities from the first sign of CP in a family.

I went thru this last year with an outbreak at the Public School dd3 attends for speech. It was NOT fun trying to sort out at all.

It's your choice if the groups in question don't have plans in place.

"Chickenpox is normally a mild disease. But it can be serious and can lead to complications, especially in these high-risk groups:

* Newborns and infants whose mothers never had chickenpox or the vaccine

* Teenagers

* Adults

* Pregnant women

* People whose immune systems are impaired by medication, such as chemotherapy, or another disease

* People who are taking steroid medications for another disease or condition, such as children with asthma

* People with the skin inflammation eczema

A common complication of chickenpox is a bacterial infection of the skin. Chickenpox may also lead to pneumonia or, rarely, an inflammation of the brain (encephalitis), both of which can be very serious.

Chickenpox and shingles

Anyone who had chickenpox is at risk of a latent illness called shingles. After a chickenpox infection, some of the varicella-zoster virus may remain in your nerve cells. Many years later, the virus can reactivate and resurface as shingles — a painful band of short-lived blisters. About one in 10 adults who've had chickenpox experiences shingles. The virus is more likely to reappear in older adults and people with weakened immune systems.

Shingles can lead to its own complication — a condition in which the pain of shingles persists long after the blisters disappear. This complication, called postherpetic neuralgia, can be severe.

Chickenpox and pregnancy

Other complications of chickenpox affect pregnant women. Chickenpox early on in pregnancy can result in a variety of problems in a newborn, including low birth weight and birth defects, such as limb abnormalities. A greater threat to a baby occurs when the mother develops chickenpox in the week before birth. Then it can cause a serious, life-threatening infection in a newborn.

If you're pregnant and not immune to chickenpox, talk to your doctor about the risks to you and your unborn child."

http://mayoclinic.com/health/chickenpox/DS00053/DSECTION=complications

Since you know he's been exposed, and the chances for him contracting the virus are high -- it's only right to prevent intentionally exposing others to the disease.

FWIW, I had shingles for a full week before I even knew what I had. Who knows how many people I inadvertently exposed to the chicken pox, girl scouts, grocery stores, even the birth center for my mid-wife appointment. Prior to getting in to see my doctor, I thought the pain was my TMJ acting up- and most people thought the rash on my forehead was a series of bug bites that were horribly inflamed.

Since you know he's been exposed, and the chances for him contracting the virus are high -- it's only right to prevent intentionally exposing others to the disease.

FWIW, I had shingles for a full week before I even knew what I had. Who knows how many people I inadvertently exposed to the chicken pox, girl scouts, grocery stores, even the birth center for my mid-wife appointment. Prior to getting in to see my doctor, I thought the pain was my TMJ acting up- and most people thought the rash on my forehead was a series of bug bites that were horribly inflamed.

Oh man - that is what it was? I'd asked you about your visit before the board went down one night. OUCH!

To the OP - i live in a retirement area with LOTS of compromised immune systems, we restricted outings as much as possible. We lightened up once we had it confirmed that the siblings of the kids in the school weren't in speech at all.

CP is contagious BEFORE any symptoms are shown...

Most children are fine with 'catching' CP--BUT there are some who can get VERY ill--usually ones with reactive airway type of asthma (something that has been on the rise due to viral mutations). With these children there is an increased risk of the CP lesions developing INSIDE --especially in the throat and lungs.

Even if a child has had the 'shot' they can still get CP.

I remember the TERROR I experienced when I picked up my then 3yo dd from a Sunday school class and noticed a child with an ACTIVE case of CP and a group of parents and teachers standing around talking about it being a 'convenient' time for their dc to catch it! My dd happened to have severe RAD and CP would have landed her in the hospital. My dd had just received her shot three days before so it was not in effect yet--PTL she did not contract it!

If you want to be responsible you can contact the parents of the children in any small group your exposed child wants to attend to see if they have any problems since no symptoms are shown. I would avoid taking them to large group activities and outings like going to the grocery store (CP is VERY bad for the elderly).

I'm sorry--it is a HUGE pain and I've BTDT with my other dds.

I was a school nurse before the the chicken pox vaccination. Children were not considered contagious until they had a pox even though they were the day before. He might not even get the chicken pox this time around. You can't keep people that aren't sick in for weeks at a time. I'd avoid the elderly, ill, and very young and that sort of thing. Read up on chicken pox, and it's transmission. He doesn't have to be that close to other adults. Do what makes you comfortable.

Even if a child has had the 'shot' they can still get CP.

IME, they are just as likely to get it and get it just as badly. I don't know what the supposed rate of contraction is, but I've never seen it work in a daycare/preschool setting. A couple kids manage not to catch it, but the rest catch it despite being vaccinated. And I don't see a difference in how badly they get it either.

Of course most our our children are not in situations like that. We can be reasonably careful as we deem necessary.

Edited by 2J5M9K

"The virus is transmitted by direct contact with the rash or by droplets dispersed into the air by coughing or sneezing.

A person who has chickenpox can transmit the virus for up to 48 hours before the telltale rash appears and remains contagious until all spots crust over. "

http://mayoclinic.com/health/chickenpox/DS00053/DSECTION=risk-factors

To also chime in on the side of he's not going to be contagious all the time and also that you shouldn't avoid all things for that long of a time...

In our case, we knew the children were exposed and likely to get it, so we contacted the places where they would normally be going, and let them make the decision with us...

So, the elementary school said to have the children attend until they got sick. They wanted the children in school and to not interrupt the flow of class and all... and for me to be aware of any runny nose or sign of "starting to catch a cold", which is what did, in fact happen. Teachers were watching and as soon as son didn't feel good, he came home. Then he broke out. Yes, children in school were exposed to some small extent. I did not hear of anyone outside of my family getting the cp, but it could have been because of immunizations.

We also attended some playtimes at an athletic club, but nobody there caught it and we also didn't go as soon as they showed signs.

I think it depends on the group/event and when son was exposed. We had 7 chidren in the house. One started it by breaking out first. It took about 2 weeks and another few broke out and then another couple. I was surprised that the school wanted the children to attend. In fact, one son attended elementary school the entire time all siblings caught it and got through it - he never did break out, ever.

By all means think of who you will be around. If dd is home sick and your son is feeling great and shows no sign, I say carry on unless you will be around infants or elderly... But, that's mho, and could very well take a good bit of criticism.

It is wonderful to hear of so many responsible Moms on this board, will you please all move here to cen. Texas! I have not gotten nearly as much cooperation from our church or activities (other than the hs community which has been wonderful).

Others have said it well with links! Please do call people who might be at highest risk for complications from CP. Some don't realize how dangerous this disease can be, and it is easier to deal with if caught early in suspectible people.

Wendy - Mommy to 3 munchkins

I would let any pregnant moms who have been near your children that they've been exposed to chicken pox. I would not keep DS from his activities, though. It is just as likely that he won't get it, as he will. Seems a shame to keep him locked up, but would mention that DD has chicken pox in case others wish to stay away.

We were at our club pool 2 years ago when I discovered DS had CP. We left asap and told the management. Really surprised that they wouldn't even notify the other families, nor did they close the pool to clean.

My vote would be to keep him away from others. My biggest concern would be pregnant moms. I know several have suggested you contact anyone you know is pregnant, but what about all the ones who are in their first trimester and have not announced their news (which is when a pregnant mom catching the disease can be most dangerous for the baby)? Or the moms who do not even know yet they are pregnant. A friend just called me 2 weeks ago with news that she just found out she was 12 weeks pregnant. She was still nursing and hadn't even had a cycle yet so she was shocked to learn she was expecting.

I realize it can will be very inconvenient to keep your ds out of activites (or at least it would be for me) but I would still do it anyway.

Funny story relating to what Jennifer was saying:

Our homeschool group was doing a recital tea last year at a senior's residence. One lady had shingles and wanted to come in. My mom was there and before the performance started, she was asking some moms in my group if anyone was pregnant (to my horror...I didn't know at the time why she was doing it). Well, when she explained I told her there was only two women you needed to ask (everyone else was done having kids). It turns out my dear friend had found out just that morning she was pregnant, so she had to fess up and tell mom so that we could keep the shingles lady out of the performance. Her dh didn't even know!!!! lol Poor friend. :)

I wouldn't. Most people have had their children vaccinated, so even if they were to contract the disease, it would be a mild case. For the people who have chosen not to vaccinate, they probably want their children to contract the disease so that they have lifetime immunity.

I also look at it like this. If your kids were in school and one came down with the chicken pox, you wouldn't keep the other out of school for almost a month because they might contract it, would you? At least that certainly isn't what was done when I was a kid and children weren't even vaccinated for this disease back then.

Lisa

I also look at it like this. If your kids were in school and one came down with the chicken pox, you wouldn't keep the other out of school for almost a month because they might contract it, would you? At least that certainly isn't what was done when I was a kid and children weren't even vaccinated for this disease back then.

Actually last year, my DD was almost asked to NOT be at speech.

She is considered un-vaxed because she hasn't had the CP vax, and they had a borderline epidemic at the school. They had to strongly consider whether she could come to speech or not - it was within their rights to keep those unvaxed kids out of school.

SOOO, it's going to depend on how big the outbreak is in a school. And FYI at the school - all the kids in the epidemic had had the vax!

I would have him miss those things to keep the risk down of him contaminating other kids if he were to be infected. It is not only the other kids, but other people in general...for instance, a pregnant woman who has not had CP, or an infant that stays at home while big brother/sister are at the co-op meetings. KWIM? I think you are being safe and not silly...and I, for one, appreciate parents like you who actually CARE. :)

A slightly different perspective for anyone who is curious: my son caught chicken pox from someone at school. OK. I kept him home. It was a bummer for him because it was the Christmas season, and he was missing all of the activities (this is when we lived abroad and he was in a foreign school).

Then I caught chicken pox. Not shingles, chicken pox. (Yes, I had it as a child, but I have some weird immune system issue.) I was SO much sicker than my child had been. I had to be put on anti-virals, narcotics, and bedrest. I was covered from head to toes. I can't begin to describe the pain.

Needless to say, I'm a proponent of keeping infectious kids away from others.

asta

...and I, for one, appreciate parents like you who actually CARE. :)

:iagree:I appreciate it to.

BTW, they're requiring boosters of the chicken pox vaccine for 4-6 year olds now because vaccinated kids still get it. I wonder what that will do? All these shots! And in VA, you have to get them the same as PS kids even if you homeschool. (Unless you have a religious objection to them.)

One of my younger boys got the chicken pox and broke out during church one Sunday. He was fine that morning, started looking sick at church and I noticed he was warm. We brought him home and saw the tell tale signs.

The man who has been sititng at the end of our bench had never had the chicken pox. He got very very sick and was in the hospital for days. I don't remember all the details, but I remember he was hospitilized and after he was very angry with us. I apologized and did feel bad even though I had no idea the kids were sick when we left the house that morning.

So, if it were me and my kids were exposed with a good chance of being contagious, I would stay out of public until I was sure.

Just my 2 cents :)

Edited by Quiver0f10

She was horribly sick for 3 weeks, and weakened for months.

Chicken pox is so contagious and so dangerous to very young babies that our ped won't even let you in the waiting room if it is suspected. She comes out to the car to verify the diagnosis, and then she sends you home.

It's just not fair, IMV, to risk other people's health to that extent. I know it's hard, but quarentining is really part of normal life. When I was a kid, all three of us got chicken pox and then mumps, in sequence. None of us left the house for 2 months. It worked out OK.

Then I caught chicken pox. Not shingles, chicken pox. (Yes, I had it as a child, but I have some weird immune system issue.) I was SO much sicker than my child had been. I had to be put on anti-virals, narcotics, and bedrest. I was covered from head to toes. I can't begin to describe the pain.

You're not the only one who had it more than once. I had it twice (ages 5 and 10, second time I had lesions in my throat, between my toes, between my eyelashes---awful), and my pediatrician's son had it 3 times.

I was exposed to shingles when I was pregnant and no one was concerned about it except the person who had accidentally exposed me. Because I had a bad case when I was older (age 11), the doctor wasn't worried about me being exposed.

My kids haven't gotten it yet. I'd like them to before they are too much older. They've been exposed once but didn't get it and we've missed every other opportunity. Most of our friends have gotten it already.

If my kids had it, I would keep them home rather than deal with the wrath of the parents. My son would definitely have to stay away from taekwondo because two of the kids there have immune system issues. I'd let our friends now about it.