Menu

More Cat Advice

goldberry

Some of you may have seen the post on my cat drama..

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/666105-since-were-venting/

Basically I have two kitties I am trying to keep apart until I can find a temporary home for one of them.  My DD will be taking her in the summer when she gets her own place.

I have been rotating them, one in the bedroom, one out, then switch.  Only now when they are out, they run from me.  And the bullied kitty just scratched the crap out of me when I took her back to the bedroom this morning.  :crying:  

Is it absolutely horrible to keep one kitty in the bedroom and not switch them? Until I find a home?  I feel awful doing that, but the switching is now causing problems as well.

Depends on the kitty.  I have one that rarely leaves my bedroom.  She is happier there.  She is very introverted and prefers quiet.  I have other cats that would probably be ok with it as long as someone played with them periodically and petted them, etc.  And still others that would get claustrophobic and hate me for it.

• Like 2

Depends on the kitty.  I have one that rarely leaves my bedroom.  She is happier there.  She is very introverted and prefers quiet.  I have other cats that would probably be ok with it as long as someone played with them periodically and petted them, etc.  And still others that would get claustrophobic and hate me for it.

This. 

My mom has had about 50,000 cats in her lifetime.  There have been decades where she's had a cat that lives alone in a room by him/herself.  Some cats really are happy if they're alone in a room, as long as they're given attention at some point in the day--or at night if you sleep with them.

If the cat isn't at the door trying to dash out, then you're probably ok.

• Like 1

The thing is, I think it's agitating them further.  They are now paranoid while they are out, watching me to see if I come toward them to move them to the room.  So even if I protect myself from the scratching, is it really better for them than one of them just being in the room?

Sorry I haven't been watching this story closely, but, have you tried not "managing" them and just letting them duke it out for territory on their own.  Might be ugly for a few days, but they'll likely settle into something they can both live with.

They both dash at the door.  They are used to having the whole house.  But I don't know how to keep doing the switching anymore now that they figured out what is going on.  I can't keep getting mangled. 

• Like 2

Sorry I haven't been watching this story closely, but, have you tried not "managing" them and just letting them duke it out for territory on their own.  Might be ugly for a few days, but they'll likely settle into something they can both live with.

That was one thing we tried, but the vet said no more.  Based on the behavior she would end up dead.  This isn't territory, the one cat is determined to harm.  One cat tries to flee and hide, and the attacking cat will keep following and attacking.  It's bad.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 1

Can you set up each kitty in their own room? Then when one naturally goes back in that room for whatever reason, you can shut the door and let the other one out?

Actually, maybe if you isolated each kitty in their own room for a while, with neither running free in the house, they will calm down.

• Like 1

Can you set up each kitty in their own room? Then when one naturally goes back in that room for whatever reason, you can shut the door and let the other one out?

Actually, maybe if you isolated each kitty in their own room for a while, with neither running free in the house, they will calm down.

:iagree: They're probably not liking being put in a small space that smells like the other cat.  Separate rooms with a common central area would be best. Also make sure that those rooms have food, water, and litter box so no sharing.

• Like 4

Personally, I would isolate the kitty that I was trying to rehome. I'd let the other one have the run of the house, since it will be living there from now on. I am quite sure that a room in the house with all the amenities is better than a cage at a shelter, and many cats live like that quite contentedly for years. I have found with mine that consistency is important. They will get used to whatever you do, given time. But changing constantly only messes things up and keeps them constantly wanting what they can't have (in my case, it is outside cats that I made inside cats). If you do the same thing always, they will eventually settle into things.

• Like 4

I kept my senior kitty in our master bedroom alone for several years to keep her safe from the other cats. She was content and happy. She got lots of attention from me at night and in the mornings and sometimes we'd do some school in there. My bedroom was large, with a big bathroom and closets for her to wander in and it had plenty of windows. She wouldn't have been fine in a small room.

• Like 2

Do you have a part of the house you rarely enter?  Like a basement or attic, or even the garage?  If so, I'd let the cat you're planning to keep have the run of the house, but for more reasons than stated.  At some point, the cats may start trying to cover up the other's smell by spraying or going to the bathroom where it shouldn't.  So maybe by limiting the smell of the other cat in the main house areas you will prevent future problems.

Then, I'd put the cat that will be leaving in the basement or garage, etc.  You'd still want to visit her and spend time with her to socialize her.  Maybe one of your kids could sit with her while he does his homework or something.  

Which one is leaving?  The more aggressive one or the less aggressive one?

• Like 2

This is actually what we were doing, I just didn't describe it in detail.  They eventually stopped "wandering" into those rooms.  :glare:   

I would move that more aggressive cat to the bedroom full time. It’s only for a few months and you can give the cat plenty of attention while keeping the other cat safe. When your DD takes that cat home in the summer, it will have the run of her place.

• Like 1

At first I read this as the vet was going to wind up dead, LOL.

Have you spoken to the vet about anti-anxiety or other meds for the killer cat?  Or is it possible to let one cat (the one that seems to have more affinity for the outdoors) and outdoor cat? 

That was one thing we tried, but the vet said no more.  Based on the behavior she would end up dead.  This isn't territory, the one cat is determined to harm.  One cat tries to flee and hide, and the attacking cat will keep following and attacking.  It's bad.

Edited by reefgazer

At first I read this as the vet was going to wind up dead, LOL.

Have you spoken to the vet about anti-anxiety or other meds for the killer cat?  Or is it possible to let one cat (the one that seems to have more affinity for the outdoors) and outdoor cat? 

Ha!  No, that might be me.  I have been mauled quite badly twice now.  

Killer cat was on some chill meds at the beginning (no help) and now kitty-prozac type med.   We live in a rural-ish area with wildlife.  Outdoor cats disappear at an alarming rate here.  There's a joke about another word for outdoor cat = snack.

• Like 1

Two days now of keeping killer kitty in the bedroom.  It's not going as bad as I thought.  Both kitties have clawed at the door and meowed a bit.  Killer kitty goes for the door but is easily backed off.  Neither one are eating very well though, but I expect that's a transition.