Menu

Allergy to wine/mead?

Granny_Weatherwax

I bought DH a bottle of artisan blueberry wine for Christmas. We opened it tonight and I had a glass with dinner. Well, it was a partial glass since after two or three sips the lining of my cheeks began to tingle and my food took on a funny taste. After a couple more sips, my tongue began to swell and my right cheek is obviously swollen. I immediately quit drinking and have been icing my cheek. The swelling seems to have plateaued and my breathing is okay.

The wine is a blueberry mead, handcrafted in WV. 

I have celiac and checked the label for any obvious gluten. Nothing was listed so I assumed it was GF. I have never had this type of reaction to anything containing gluten.

Edit: IT's been 15 min and my tongue and cheek are still swollen. I'm thinking about going to the ER for a steroid shot.

Have you ever reacted to blueberry before? Or yeast? Or other alcohol beverages? You can probably contact the manufacturer for a complete list of ingredients, including maybe the predominant type of nectar the honey was made from. 

I hope you're okay!  Could it be the sulfites?  Have you reacted to blueberries before?  I'd guess that blueberries in wine are particularly concentrated.  I read that "blueberries have high salicylate content. If you are allergic to blueberries, it is often because you have a sensitivity to this compound."  Maybe it has to do with that?  Give us an update when you can!

• Like 2

Scoutermom - Hope everything went alright. Did you have to go to ER?  Sounds like you are in need of some strong antihistamines and/or an epi-pen on hand at all time for situations like this. Allergies are strange creatures, and can be unpredictable. I am in the same boat as you.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I did not go to the ER although I am rethinking that decision today.  I took a bunch of Benedryl last night and this morning and it has helped a bit. My cheeks and tongue are still swollen but not to the extent they were last night. I told myself I would give it 24 hours or if it got worse before going in. I admit to being quite frightened last night about anaphylaxis. I have never had my cheeks or tongue swell before and it was/is quite disconcerting.

I have never had a reaction to blueberries so DH and I think it had to do with the ingredients in the mead, more than likely the sulfites.

What a freaky thing to occur. I don't drink that often so having the glass of blueberry wine was special. That particular item is now on my Things To Avoid list.

• Like 2

Thanks guys.

I did not go to the ER although I am rethinking that decision today.  I took a bunch of Benedryl last night and this morning and it has helped a bit. My cheeks and tongue are still swollen but not to the extent they were last night. I told myself I would give it 24 hours or if it got worse before going in. I admit to being quite frightened last night about anaphylaxis. I have never had my cheeks or tongue swell before and it was/is quite disconcerting.

I have never had a reaction to blueberries so DH and I think it had to do with the ingredients in the mead, more than likely the sulfites.

What a freaky thing to occur. I don't drink that often so having the glass of blueberry wine was special. That particular item is now on my Things To Avoid list.

You probably want to have something a lot stronger than Benedryl, as it's more of a sleep enhancer than anti-histamine. You can get prescription anti-histamines with double the dose of over-the-counter stuff. (eg., 20 mg of cetirizine)

• Like 1

You need to follow up. This reaction should be tested by an allergist and you need to keep an epi pen on you. Allergies can occur to known “safe†foods for any person at any time. Lips/tongue swelling is an emergency and may happen to a worse extent any time in the future. You need to redose Benadryl every 6? Hours as it gets metabolized, but I’d consult with a doctor to get steroids, an epi pen rx, and a consult with an allergist, as well as the right dose of Benadryl. I hope you get better soon!!

• Like 2

They can offer more than benadryl if you go to see the doctor--I am cleared to take multiple doses of claritin, Allegra, an H2 blocker, and mega benadryl, for instance. And sometimes I need all of them!

Sulfites are a real possibility, but anything that is aged or fermented has a strong possibility of being high in histamines. I have not sorted all my issues, but I don't do well with high histamine foods anymore. Triggers can be very individual, and it can also be a "load" issue. Like one food might not put you over a threshold, but some combinations of foods might.

• Like 1

Glad this one seems to have turned out ok and wishing you the best in your future.  If you can afford it, I'd agree with the others regarding at least seeing a doctor for an epipen.  Kids at school who have similar allergic reactions can get them super quickly from foods they don't expect to cause problems.  It's nice having some peace of mind at hand.  It's rare, but... you already know it could happen to you at this point.

• Like 1

I saw a doctor as I now have an ulcer on the inside of my right cheek (probably form biting on it due to swelling). I am on steroids and have a referral to an allergist.

If this didn't happen to me, I wouldn't believe it.  I mean, really?? Three or four sips of wine and bam...

What stinks is I only started drinking wine about a year ago. My therapist recommended it as a way to relax. Hah!

I think I will let DD, DFSIL, DS, and DH do the wine tasting for the wedding reception. I'll stick to chai.

• Like 5

I saw a doctor as I now have an ulcer on the inside of my right cheek (probably form biting on it due to swelling). I am on steroids and have a referral to an allergist.

If this didn't happen to me, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, really?? Three or four sips of wine and bam...

What stinks is I only started drinking wine about a year ago. My therapist recommended it as a way to relax. Hah!

I think I will let DD, DFSIL, DS, and DH do the wine tasting for the wedding reception. I'll stick to chai.

If you still want alcohol to relax, you can have a different alcohol. After testing by the allergist, you will probably be ok with a shot of liquor instead. Or tea!

I hope you are feeling better!