Menu

Oh, jiminy! Gift for 7 year old dd

Rockhopper

Somehow we got to the 18th of December and I'm still short the big/wow* gift for my 7 year old. 

*Only in size/impact, lol. Budget preferably not over $50.

She recently bought herself some Legos with money from her grandparents.

She isn't into dolls. At all.

She mostly uses (LOTS OF) paper and (LOTS OF) tape to make animals that live in the pretend aquarium she manages. (She's already getting a Costco size package of tape refills and more printer paper, so she'll be very happy.) She has stuffies but doesn't really play with them or utilize them in her pretend play.

She has a bike but is scared to ride it. Dh would like to get her a scooter, but she doesn't seem interested. Her permitted range in our neighborhood is just a few houses in each direction and she seems content running that. She saw skates at the store and was interested -- but we're somewhat hesitant because of past experience with kids and skates, especially without a lot of good sidewalk to skate: 15 minutes to get the skates on, 3 minutes of skating, 5 minutes to get them off, rinse, lather, repeat.

I'd love a swing set but obviously that's not in our price range. We have no trees so no hammock or slackline. 

I feel like I'm missing some obvious ideas... Help, please?!

Is she interested in playing an instrument at all? I bought my granddaughter (8) a child’s ukulele kit. It’s a learn to play with book and CD. Amazon has a bunch of them. She had asked for this. I also got her a Hatchimal and a child’s sewing machine with a bunch of scrap fabric I had.

• Like 1

One of mine wanted a Faux Bow Pro... but I had already bought all the "big" items for this year, so it'll be waiting until a summer birthday.

https://www.amazon.com/Faux-Bow-Pro-Patented-Archery/dp/B074QZ8GK9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1513636244&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=faux+bow+pro&psc=1

(My girls are a bit older, though, so it may not be appropriate.)

My younger nieces are getting a stomp rocket from Auntie Alisoncooks. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Stomp-Rocket-Glow-Rockets/dp/B00000K3BR/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1513636384&sr=1-2&keywords=stomp+rocket

(They have different variations/sizes...and my young nieces are getting some corresponding books about rockets and space.)

Our Swingball set (2-3 Christmases ago) was a surprise hit.  We've had some epic tournaments with it, and it travels really well (if you camp or stuff like that, it's super fun).

https://www.amazon.com/All-Surface-Swingball-Tether-Tetherball/dp/B00024JRM6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1513636480&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=swingball&psc=1

At that age, my dd loved paper and drawing as well, but her favourite thing was Littlest Pet Shop characters and she set up a city of them on a bookshelf.  She didn't play with dolls at all either, but these little characters struck a chord in her.  She had her Littlest Pet Shop city for probably 5 years, at least.  

• Like 3

Little Pet Shop sounds like a winner to me.  

Is there a computer game about a vet center or an aquarium?  A trip to an aquarium?  I once bought a beautiful book, written and illustrated by a homeschooler, with beautiful ocean fish- one for every letter of the alphabet.  National Geographic has some hand sized books about animals of the woodlands, birds, hawks, etc. or just a book about various fish?   Perhaps there's a few of those that would give her ideas in stocking her aquarium?

A real aquarium or perhaps there's a board game about fish?

• Like 1

How about Schleich animals?  My girls loved those (and still do)!  We have tons of them (and sets for them) -- my girls tend to favor the wolves and African animals.

https://www.schleich-s.com/en/US/

Or Calico Critters?  They are a bit girly (and pricey) but my non-doll girls love teeny, tiny stuff.  And Calico Critters have tons of tiny stuff.

http://calicocritters.com

• Like 3

Playmobil? Or calico critters. My DD5 is obsessed with Calico Critters. They're spendy but have a ton of pieces. Or there's Lil' Woodzez at target which is basically their version of Calico Critters and runs cheaper. Unless all of those options are too doll-like. But they might be closer to the animals she cares for in her pretend aquarium. 

My DD5 is also scared of bikes, but she likes her razor scooter. It gives her more control and ability to drop it and be off than the bike does. She doesn't go very fast, honestly she's probably much faster just walking, but she likes it and it makes her feel more included if she's outside playing with DD9 while she's on her bike. 

*BTW, my DD9 would be thrilled with a huge pack of paper and massive amount of tape!

• Like 1

What about a large box of sculpty clay? Or make your own erasers clay? The eraser clay is great.

Adopting an animal from Clearwater marine aquarium.

Just suggesting so don’t throw a key at me;)- what about a beta fish? Sounds like she really likes fish. She could make the very easy to care for fish wonderful backgrounds for the tank. They exactly sell a tank that uses coloring pages for the background.

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

I've also seen books on something called quilling I think, where strips of paper are twisted up into little coiled shapes.

I was going to suggest quilling as well - see my avatar for an example. My girls (almost 9 and just turned 6) both enjoy it. Here's a starter kit on Amazon: 

https://www.amazon.com/Lake-City-Craft-Quilling-Starter/dp/B0013JRMZ8

Other ideas that have been a hit around here:

Camera - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D11ZOEQ/

Kid luggage (for sleepovers with grandparents, in our case) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PLXSWE/

Fairy garden - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RH2FK4/

• Like 1

I like the Schleich animals too, but if she's into making animals herself out of paper and tape, I don't know that I'd try to circumvent that by providing the animals ready-made.

Maybe some aquarium furniture and plants?  Does she make those too, or would she like stuff like fake seaweed plants and rocks and mermaids or whatever?  

• Like 1

My dd7 is getting a 'Frozen' scooter, a fold-up chair, cricket set (bat, ball etc...it's an Aussie thing), and a book.

She also likes jigsaw puzzles and games so they would be other options. You can also get some pretty cool science kids for that age group.

Edited by LindaOz
  • Like 1

A scrapbook? Like with little stickers, washi tape, and photo corners and colored/patterned paper?

Or just a plain sketchbook? Art supplies?? Art case, colored pencils, markers?

Kids national geographic or something for her to read and then cut the images out?

A light table so she can trace images. Not like one of the super expensive ones. You can maybe find a cheaper kid-friendly one. When I was a child I looooved mine. I was super into art. Mine was made of plastic.

Crayola makes the Crayola Light Up Tracing Pad. It costs around $15-20 and it works very well. They come in different themes, like Trolls or Star Wars, and I think there are more generic "girl" and "boy" varieties as well. Amazon sells them, but local stores like Walmart have them, too. I think Michael's might have them, and they would probably end up being the cheapest because there's always a Michaels coupon. :)

• Like 2

We got my dd7 a sewing kit that she will really like. Or maybe a few months of Kiwi crates? They are great art fun!

ETA: we got this one, but there are lots of others in various themes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F3V2MW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513714638&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=kids+sewing+kit&dpPl=1&dpID=510e3Hk1GtL&ref=plSrch

Edited by TABmom
  • Like 1

Playmobil? Or calico critters. My DD5 is obsessed with Calico Critters. They're spendy but have a ton of pieces. Or there's Lil' Woodzez at target which is basically their version of Calico Critters and runs cheaper. Unless all of those options are too doll-like. But they might be closer to the animals she cares for in her pretend aquarium. 

My DD5 is also scared of bikes, but she likes her razor scooter. It gives her more control and ability to drop it and be off than the bike does. She doesn't go very fast, honestly she's probably much faster just walking, but she likes it and it makes her feel more included if she's outside playing with DD9 while she's on her bike. 

*BTW, my DD9 would be thrilled with a huge pack of paper and massive amount of tape!

My dd hated her bike, but loved her scooter.  She rode (drove?) that thing like a maniac, but refused her bike.  It always felt too tippy.  To this day, she still hates riding a bike, and I still don't understand it :)

• Like 1

Such wonderful ideas! THANK YOU all so much! Dh really wanted the scooter, so that's what we went with. We got one with bigger tires and it's pink so I think it'll be good.

However, thanks to you all, I have a great list tucked away for the future (or even this year, as I don't think her older sibs have shopped for her yet).

I especially think she'd love a fish/aquarium (don't know why I hadn't thought of that), a science mag subscription/box, or something like the Little Pet Shop/Calico Critters.

I also thought of setting up a desk for her -- for doing aquarium business - with envelopes, order forms, calculator, etc., and also a place for her crafting supplies. Maybe during the February doldrums as a together project, or for her birthday.

Edited by Rockhopper
  • Like 1