Menu

bacon press?

gardenmom5

calling cooks who use one.  what do you like, what is a good bacon press.

thinking of getting one for dh as he cooks it frequently.  (and . . . if it reduces splatters across the stovetop and counter - all the better. he won't use a screen.)

• Like 1

calling cooks who use one.  what do you like, what is a good bacon press.

thinking of getting one for dh as he cooks it frequently.  (and . . . if it reduces splatters across the stovetop and counter - all the better. he won't use a screen.)

I used to only cook bacon on the stove-top.  I was a stove-top enthusiast.  But I hated the mess and the smell that lingered for a day or two.  So, I didn't cook bacon often.  Then I discovered this method:

Take parchment paper and lay on a large baking sheet.   Lay out slices of bacon on the parchment.  Cook in the oven at 375 for apprx. 10-15min.  turn bacon over and cook an addition 4-5min or until your favorite crispiness is achieved. 

OMG..  It is a life-changer.  No messes, super easy clean up... and no lingering smell in the house.

Of course, this doesn't help with Christmas present ideas for your husband.   :laugh:

• Like 4

I also oven-bake.  I can do one lb on a large baking pan, two side-by-side pieces of foil (turned up in the middle so as to avoid getting grease on the pan; if you have one of these large baking pans you'll know what I mean - they take up about the entire rack.  love them).  For a family of 8, I cook 1 or 2 lbs, so it's nice to be able to get one done in 20 min.  It has been years since I've cooked bacon in a frying pan - never again.

Anyway.  I do 350 for about 20 minutes (give or take) until the doneness is how you like it.  Convection works even better.  I do not turn it.

If you are looking for a kitchen gift, well this would probably be for yourself, but if you have a big family, I find I can't live without them - how did I ever survive all those years without big pans https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-2105-0109-Perfect-Non-Stick-Bakeware/dp/B00KIF5LLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512313028&sr=8-2&keywords=nonstick+sheet+wilton

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

I bake a whole 2 1/2 lb pack of bacon atboncebon two pans in the oven. I then line up my bsconnon wax paper and roll it up. I put half in the fridge and half in the freezer. It’s like diy precooked bacon and it’s so fast to reheat. It lasts us about two weeks.

Yeah see the problem is when I do this, I just end up eating all the bacon.  :lol:

• Like 1

Here is my bacon hack.....a huge bag of precooked bacon pieces. I buy mine much cheaper in Shipshewana IN, but the idea is the same.

I take my 5 pound bag and divide it into quart size freezer bags and freeze it all. Then whenever we need bacon for pizza, soups, salads, casseroles, even blts (although bacon strips have an advantage here) I just take out however much I need and microwave it for 30-90 seconds depending on how much and how crispy I want it and I have bacon with no mess and no waste.

https://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/21295864/Fully-Cooked-Bacon-Piece.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk9-yrrPu1wIVW57ACh0A4Q5YEAQYAiABEgK8OvD_BwE

Any weight that you can place directly on the bacon in the pan that covers most of a slice can be used.

I don't use one. I don't see how it would reduced spatter. It won't be covering all of the pan.

it's about keeping it flat so it doens't curl, - not reducing splatters

I hate it when I didn't know a thing existed, then I find out about a thing, then I can't live without that thing.  

Thanks a lot, gardenmom!  :cursing:

you're welcome.   :001_tt2:

I used to only cook bacon on the stove-top.  I was a stove-top enthusiast.  But I hated the mess and the smell that lingered for a day or two.  So, I didn't cook bacon often.  Then I discovered this method:

Take parchment paper and lay on a large baking sheet.   Lay out slices of bacon on the parchment.  Cook in the oven at 375 for apprx. 10-15min.  turn bacon over and cook an addition 4-5min or until your favorite crispiness is achieved. 

OMG..  It is a life-changer.  No messes, super easy clean up... and no lingering smell in the house.

Of course, this doesn't help with Christmas present ideas for your husband.   :laugh:

I like it.  It would only be one thing, so not a big deal.  It also means I don't' have to find a place to "park" it.

I also oven-bake.  I can do one lb on a large baking pan, two side-by-side pieces of foil (turned up in the middle so as to avoid getting grease on the pan; if you have one of these large baking pans you'll know what I mean - they take up about the entire rack.  love them).  For a family of 8, I cook 1 or 2 lbs, so it's nice to be able to get one done in 20 min.  It has been years since I've cooked bacon in a frying pan - never again.

Anyway.  I do 350 for about 20 minutes (give or take) until the doneness is how you like it.  Convection works even better.  I do not turn it.

If you are looking for a kitchen gift, well this would probably be for yourself, but if you have a big family, I find I can't live without them - how did I ever survive all those years without big pans https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-2105-0109-Perfect-Non-Stick-Bakeware/dp/B00KIF5LLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512313028&sr=8-2&keywords=nonstick+sheet+wilton

thank you.  convection is good . . . .

and no, it's not for me.  he cooks bacon more than I do.  but then, I do dislike curled up bacon.

I have the Lodge Cast iron bacon press.  I have used it for bacon a few times, but I primarily use it for grilled cheese/paninis.  

It's a nice weight and I like it, but because it's cast iron I have needed to re-season it when a damp dishcloth was left sitting next to it for too long. 

I've been flirting in cast iron - and there are some things I have come to prefer doing cast iron.