Menu

I walked into church this morning....

bodiesmom

And had to walk right back out. 😟

They had it beautifully decorated in a country style complete with gorgeous wood benches where our chairs had once sat. Being that our service is a good 90 minutes long, there is no way my back could have endured sitting without support for that length of time.

I'm getting old, aren't I.....

They had it beautifully decorated in a country style complete with gorgeous wood benches where our chairs had once sat. Being that our service is a good 90 minutes long, there is no way my back could have endured sitting without support for that length of time.

I can relate.  :grouphug: Quite a bit of what I do or don't do revolves around my back.

• Like 2

While trolling for xmas gift ideas I saw this thing for back support and thought about it for my mother.  Basically it went aganst your back, and the straps came down and velcroed just below your knees.  Using your own body weight to give it the support to lean against.  It was for things like games watched from hs bleachers and things with now back support. 

• Like 1

Can you get one of those portable bleacher chairs that people use at sporting events and use it on the bench? I've found that those can really help prevent back pain when I have to sit on bleachers for a long time.

Yes, we have several! 😄

This is definitely an idea to ponder. It would feel awkward at first, but if I'm able to get one of the benches in the back of the room it might work!

• Like 1

While trolling for xmas gift ideas I saw this thing for back support and thought about it for my mother. Basically it went aganst your back, and the straps came down and velcroed just below your knees. Using your own body weight to give it the support to lean against. It was for things like games watched from hs bleachers and things with now back support.

Really??!!

I've got to research this- it sounds fascinating!

Yes, we have several! 😄

This is definitely an idea to ponder. It would feel awkward at first, but if I'm able to get one of the benches in the back of the room it might work!

Try not to feel awkward.  I bet you are not the only person who has a hard time sitting on a backless bench.  Not just older people either.  I am thinking of some families with spirited kids who would be falling backwards off those benches (accidentally or on purpose).   Maybe if you are the first to bring one, others will feel comfortable following suit.

• Like 3

Why?! Why would they do this? Is it a long term change? Or only for the season? Surely there are others that are not okay with this!

• Like 5

Why?! Why would they do this? Is it a long term change? Or only for the season? Surely there are others that are not okay with this!

I just found out that this was due to a wedding that had occurred there yesterday. They didn't have time to replace all the regular seating before this morning's service.

PHEW!!!!

It must have been one gorgeous wedding though!

• Like 12

I just found out that this was due to a wedding that had occurred there yesterday. They didn't have time to replace all the regular seating before this morning's service.

PHEW!!!!

It must have been one gorgeous wedding though!

You mean PEW?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Like 9

My mom has to leave if the church decorates in poinsettias, she is allergic.

However, she hasn't gone to church for over 6 months and is pretty much housebound now.

Im so sorry. I often wonder how many people don't attend church regularly due to allergies to seasonal plants that are displayed throughout the year.

• Like 2

Im so sorry. I often wonder how many people don't attend church regularly due to allergies to seasonal plants that are displayed throughout the year.

I wonder too.  But there are a lot of reasons people don't attend, and this is just one of them.

• Like 1

And perfume, excessive use of smelly detergent, etc. 

I knew the lady who decorated at our old church, and I asked her in advance of holidays about lilies and things. She was super kind and made beautiful silk flower arrangements instead for seasonal use. 

The new church doesn't do as much of the "real flower" kind of decorating, and it's a huge sanctuary where the smell can dissipate if you are not up front. 

The choir, though? My husband often has to change his clothes after being in the choir, or I can't be in the same room with him. Way too much perfume.

Our church moved services earlier by one hour, without discussion, and for various reasons it doesn't work for me.  I haven't been in 2-3 months. I miss going; not sure what I am going to do.