Menu

Food allergy people....reaction to Honey Mustard Pringles

Ottakee

Last night we were to the doctor with 20 year old dd as she had a finger that was swollen and super sore. By the time.we gt there both hands were swollen and itchy. Doctor figured some sort of allergic reaction and prescribed Benadryl and a steroid burst.

This morning dd seemed fine but then ate some honey mustard Pringles (only thing she ate today) and her hands started swelling and she said her lips were tingly and her heart rate was up and she said it was harder to breathe.

I called 911 and gave her Benadryl right away. Reaction did not progress and her O2 was fine, etc so they just said see your doctor.

We are headed there in a few minutes. This DD has never had any food or other big allergic reactions. She ate some of the Pringles yesterday afternoon before the hand swelling so those are a likely culprit as they were a new food/flavor to her and common to both reactions.

Any idea what in there might be causing the reaction?

I plan to ask for epi pen today just in case. It is hard not knowing to call help early and then not really need them (like today) or risk waiting too long. Even running priority 1 we are at least 15+ minutes from help.

I'd look at MSG. I'm sorry!

Edited to add: some people (including myself) have a sometimes allergy to MSG. We can get away with it sometimes, but if we're already in a histamine response situation, the MSG allergy kicks in. Obviously, we should avoid msg, but it's weird that it only gets us when we were already in trouble.

There's something about honey mustard flavoring. I've had allergic rations to snack mixes with it, enough times that I avoid it. I don't think it's turmeric because I can use that in regular cooking.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar

Turmeric? How often does she eat mustard?

That is really scary sounding. Glad you were proactive in both cases. Never hesitate to call 911 but be aware that most 1st responders do NOT have epipens.

We will be asking for an EpiPen today.

I am wondering mustard or tumeric as she doesn't eat that often at all.

I would definitely ask for an epi pen right away and then make an appointment with an allergist. We suspected milk/wheat with DD but were not sure so he did a panel with the most common allergens. It turned out to be corn.

Edited for typos because I'm on my phone

Edited by melbotoast

I'm sorry. Mystery reactions are hard! Take the package with you to the allergist, they can help identify the most likely allergen and test.

Definitely ask for an epipen right away.

FWIW, my money is on a recently developed mustard or seed allergy but that's a total guess!

I just read recently that dry mustard can have gluten in it. Some brands use flour to keep it from caking. Could the honey/mustard flavoring use dry mustard? Could she have a wheat/gluten allergy?

I don't have an allergy to gluten, but I avoid it for health reasons. That's why I even noticed that dry mustard could have it. 

That was anaphylaxis. You did the right thing calling ER. The ambulance should have done an epi pen (assuming they didn't). My son's first ever reaction "resolved," and then later became biphasic. He went into shock with that second/biphasic reaction. The reactions not treated with an epi are more likely to do that. In other words, I think they mis-handled her based on what you wrote, but I'm glad she's ok.

She does need allergy testing. My first guess is mustard, it's a seed and required to be labeled as an allergen in ingredients in Europe (I think it's a top 14). It's a significant allergen and can cause anaphylaxis. Avoid all the ingredients listed in those chips until she has testing and have her carry an epi (get as soon as possible) everywhere. Anaphylaxis is any two body systems. She'll want to read up on symptoms so she can recognize it. adding: I'd remove anything containing mustard from my house until I knew that wasn't it or at least have any family members eating mustard containing foods be careful with crumbs and wash hands after eating. 

I'm sorry. My husband developed his first ever allergy in his 30's, and it was anaphylactic. It happens at all ages. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

I just read recently that dry mustard can have gluten in it. Some brands use flour to keep it from caking. Could the honey/mustard flavoring use dry mustard? Could she have a wheat/gluten allergy?

I don't have an allergy to gluten, but I avoid it for health reasons. That's why I even noticed that dry mustard could have it. 

FYI-Pringles are not gluten free with or without the mustard flavoring.

• Like 1

I wonder if she just had a biphasic reaction to whatever set her off last night?

As in, maybe the Pringles had nothing to do with it, but she ate them at the same time the Benedryl was wearing off?

Best wishes; food allergy mysteries can drive a mom bonkers.

I wonder if she just had a biphasic reaction to whatever set her off last night?

As in, maybe the Pringles had nothing to do with it, but she ate them at the same time the Benedryl was wearing off?

Best wishes; food allergy mysteries can drive a mom bonkers.

We just don't know. I just don't really have time to have food allergy reactions right now...as if any mom ever does. She had surgery 2 weeks ago and has some other medical appointments coming up, other DD had a big medical thing a few weeks ago and has surgery coming up, and MIL is on hospice.

• Like 1

When you mentioned the swollen hands, it made me wonder about serum sickness. Has she been on an antibiotic recently? Serum sickness is an allergic reaction that is delayed, so it appears at the end of a run of antibiotics (7 days or more after the first exposure), instead of when the drug is first ingested. Swollen hands, itchiness, and hives are symptoms.

That doesn't explain the Pringles reaction, of course.

When you mentioned the swollen hands, it made me wonder about serum sickness. Has she been on an antibiotic recently? Serum sickness is an allergic reaction that is delayed, so it appears at the end of a run of antibiotics (7 days or more after the first exposure), instead of when the drug is first ingested. Swollen hands, itchiness, and hives are symptoms.

That doesn't explain the Pringles reaction, of course.

This happens to me when I take penicillin. I get about 7 days in and then get hit with hives that start with my hands and quickly spreads.

Best wishes for your DD. I'm so glad she is OK!

Edited by tdbates78