Menu

Recommendations for cloth pads, please.

itsheresomewhere

FWIW, both my daughters LOVE their Diva Cups. I haven't tried one, but they just love, love, love them. It seems highly advisable for someone with relevant allergies. There are many brands, so if the Diva Cup didn't fit well, I'd try other brands. I think they are all made of silicone, so very unlikely to cause allergic reactions. My youngest dd wanted one as soon as she began her menses, and started using it on her 2nd period! 

• Like 1

For those of you chiming in with suggestions, is it possible to say something you like about the ones you recommend? 

I've been using Hag Rags for over a decade, but they're no longer around.

I'm building up a stash for my daughter. So far I've only bought one brand (Glad Rags) which I order wholesale from Frontier. They're okay. She likes that they come in colors and can be stuffed according to the day's needs. I ordered myself a few of the organic ones. They work fine, but aren't super super absorbent so I don't wear them on heavier days. But I like that they're organic. My daughter doesn't like that they're only in natural cotton color because she's squicky about how stark the blood looks against it. 

Ladies, how do you decide what kind to get? I would like some panty liners that are absorbent and stay put. I don't sew and don't have time anyway so buying is pretty much my only option.  Any suggestions?

I bought some underwear from Amazon that have built in panty liners (only they cover more area than panty liners do.  

Next bit put in different font, so beware:

I once used them at night when there was a chance I'd bleed, but I really didn't think so.   I woke up thinking, "Why am I sleeping in a puddle?"  Those panties really held the liquid in.  

I sew my own, but I would advise buying a couple of different shapes and toppers to sample because the best fit is highly dependent on body shape and flow.  Our pads with Zorb fabric are much thinner than those with flannel/terry inners. 

My DD prefers Minky toppers because there is literally no staining.  I prefer cotton toppers for daytime use for sweat reasons and minky heavys for nights.

• Like 2

I bought some cheapies from Amazon and it seemed like my period got much lighter on them.  When I went back on disposables the heavy period came back:

These for heavier days:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZGD8SG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These for lighter days, often combined with a diva cup: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KC2AXTI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1

ETA:  I kind of figured I'd switch to more expensive ones from etsy if I liked them, but I haven't seen the need.

Edited by Katy

I bought a stack from New Moon Pads years ago. I love them, and not only have they held up remarkably well, I never leak and my cramps lessened when I started using them. I will not hesitate to get more from this seller when my daughters' begin their cycles. 

I use these & love them.  I have the wingless ones as I bought them over 13 years ago.  My daughter uses LunaPads & likes those.  I do have a Diva Cup now & use that as well.  As I am getting on in years & my cycle isn't as regular as it use to be I wear a regular New Moon pad each day, just in case.  I'd be in real pain if I hadn't found cloth pads as disposables cause rashes for me.

JMHO,

I tried lots of different brands and my favorite by far are from MamaBearBabyWear on Etsy. I had slippage with almost all other brands and it drove me crazy. (Nylon-backed pads like Party in My Pants wouldn't stay in place at all.) Her folded-center design is fabulous and I like all the fun prints. You can't choose the prints, but you can request light or dark colors or ask her to not include any patterns you don't like (for example, no cartoony prints or no florals or whatever). I've been happy with what I've received. They wash up very well without a lot of staining. I like the flannel ones best, but the velour-type material is also nice. Highly recommended! 

Edited by MercyA

I like party in my pants. They are really thin and absorbent and the patterns are cute. I have used a diva cup too but it has not fit the same after my vaginal delivery. I need to try some other cups but I am not sure I want to buy a bunch of different ones to figure out which one fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend makes these and they help support her midwifery business: http://www.joyfullivingnaturals.com/product-category/cloth-menstrual-pads/

I prefer cloth pads with flannel tops, I do not like one with minky/minkee top layers. The minkee ones don't stain as much but I just don't like the way they feel. I just go with darker patterns to avoid issues with staining. 

I wash in a separate wash with cold water and all free & clear detergent that I use for almost everything, use vinegar instead of fabric softener, then hang to dry on a line inside my laundry room.  If they were particularly bad I might use oxyclean or another peroxide sort of detergent booster. 

If I had stomach flu I would probably bleach them then wash again with only vinegar to make sure the bleach was neutralized, but I would only do that when I was sure I had a bad virus or as a last resort to throwing them out for an ongoing odor issue because I think bleach breaks down the water resistant fabric.

I think there was some instructions that if they started to leak around the seams I should throw them in the dryer to kind of melt the water resistant component into the seams, but I only had to do that once.

ETA:  Don't wash them in the sink and then hang them in one of those bags they use for diapers until you can launder them - they are not as waterproof as you think and blood will stain the edges and seep out.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

How do you all wash the cloth pads?

Do you need any specific laundry detergent ? 

I wash mine with my diapers. If I'm in a diaper-free season of life, I still wash them this way:

COLD CYCLE without detergent followed immediately by a HOT CYCLE with detergent.

• Like 1

My girls and I like these from MamaBearBabyWear on etsy. https://www.etsy.com/listing/94813461/complete-set-of-9-mamabear-ladywear?ref=shop_home_active_10

We like them because they are cheaper than most and very good quality. The sizes are nice too.

I bought these ones too and have been happy with them. I don't care about fabric patterns either, so I like that she keeps her prices low by only selling random fabric lots.

I soak them in a bucket with cold water and soap.   Then do a cold water wash with detergent.   Then do a sanitize wash.   Often I'll add an extra, quick wash first, then add in all the underwear to the next two washes.  

eta: I am a bit compulsive about my laundry.  Only thing I'm compulsive about.  

Edited by shawthorne44

When I find them (DD has a habit of leaving them in the regular laundry, still snapped around undies...we're working on that), I put them in the washer on speed wash, with a 15 min. soak, with oxy-clean. Then I toss in the rest of a regular load and wash it all together (on cold). 

Ideally, DD would put them in a bucket under the bathrooom sink to soak with some peroxide or oxy-clean...but then ideally she would willingly shower every day and her room would be tidy. I don't live in that world. :b

• Like 1

I have a wetbag under the sink.  We put used pads in there (without rinsing).  I then dump bag into the washer with a scoop of off brand Oxiclean and an All Free & Clear pod, put on a hot cycle with an hour soak, 2nd rinse and extra spin.

I also throw mine in the dryer.  I does wear them out quicker but since I sew our's, I don't mind replacing every 15-18 months or so.  It usually costs me about $20 a year to make them since I use scrap fabric from other projects for our toppers and someone gave me a big stash of PUL, so all I have to buy is the Zorb.

Edited by TeenagerMom
  • Like 1