Menu

Electronic Christmas Cards -- too tacky?

I could save a ton of money this Christmas on printing and postage by sending out Christmas cards via email. I always design my own with photos of the kids. Would it be tacky to send out the card as a jpeg to the majority of my list? I would still need to print and mail a very few to those who don't do email. How would you feel if you got one via email?

I think it may become a sign of the times. I've noticed over the last few years we get fewer and fewer cards anyway. I enjoy knowing I've been thought of and would not be offended.

I might even go that route with some people this year. I would probably still send regular cards to the older people on my list. Parents, grandparents, etc, that haven't adopted the digital age.

I think this is one area where it's the thought that counts and where technology is changing the way people do things.

You might get a few cards to send to people who might not be tech savy. My dh's grandma is very "with it" and checks her email. My grandma may not even know what the internet is. She's in a nursing home, so I'll send her a physical card to put up on her wall.

I don't think its tacky, but I so love getting cards in the mail and I even like the newsletters that make everyone's lives seem better than they are. I have an area of my wall dedicated to taping up the cards (which, I admit, may be tacky).

since my dh is x-mil and I'm halfway across the country from my family of origin, our family & friends are scattered far & wide, so I can feel your pain about the cost involved. I also take the time to sign each of my cards personally, and add a little personal note to 99% of them....it is a big investment of time and money, but I look at as a small price to pay to keep in touch with people who are or at one time were important to us.

...but it would be a disappointment if I got email Christmas cards from people who usually send me a "hard copy". :tongue_smilie:

I'm one of those people who hangs up the cards and the photos, and we enjoy seeing the smiling faces from those who send pictures, and reading the words of those who thought about us enough to send a card with a hand-written note, and enjoy reading the newsletter-type updates from friends and family. We also use the cards/photos as a tangible reminder to pray for each of those people, and we leave them up all year. :D

I wouldn't be offended, but it would maybe feel like someone was fitting me in at their convenience rather than thinking and caring enough to put in a bit of extra effort. If all you have time/money enough for is an email version, definitely go for it! Hearing from someone via email is better than not at all.

I don't think its tacky, but I so love getting cards in the mail and I even like the newsletters that make everyone's lives seem better than they are. I have an area of my wall dedicated to taping up the cards (which, I admit, may be tacky).

...but it would be a disappointment if I got email Christmas cards from people who usually send me a "hard copy".

I'm one of those people who hangs up the cards and the photos, and we enjoy seeing the smiling faces from those who send pictures, and reading the words of those who thought about us enough to send a card with a hand-written note, and enjoy reading the newsletter-type updates from friends and family.

I agree about loving to get cards. I do, too. We also used to hang up all the cards, but we now get so few that it's depressing.

I will admit that I am also one of those people with the huge display of cards hanging on the wall. BUT this season going electronic will probably mean the difference between doing cards and not doing cards. Thanks for all of your responses. It is nice to hear that most people would consider it OK.

I would prefer to get an e-card that had either a picture or a message, than a real card that lacked either. I really do NOT like getting mass-produced cards with nothing more than a signature - - I mean, what's the point? But I always enjoy seeing photos, especially of growing kids. Add a personal message, and I'd think you were one happening chick.

I attached the newsletter as a pdf, with color photos and such. If someone wanted to print a hard copy, they could easily do it. But, this is from the point of view of one who has only sent Christmas cards once in the past ten years or so, and that was to include a newsletter that said we were moving. I decided it was either do an email or not at all. The cards we've gotten in recent years are less personal. We received one with handwritten text inside "To all of you" and "From all of us".

That said, I'm a bit of a Grinch about cards to begin with. My husband and I prefer not to buy and send birthday cards.

Erica in OR