Menu

s/o Why do we have so many?

Scarlett

I like having so many. Once I visit a thread, I rarely return unless someone checks "like this." When there is a spin off thread, I will go to it because I know it is about something additional or different.

same. I don't usually return to a thread unless someone quotes one of my posts. Or if it was a really interesting thread, but someone usually has to like a post of mine for me to remember it and go back to it. Or if it's suddenly getting a lot of replies, but then I usually just skim for the OPs responses.

I like having so many. Once I visit a thread, I rarely return unless someone checks "like this." When there is a spin off thread, I will go to it because I know it is about something additional or different.

Why don't you return to a thread?  People say things to you that you never respond to.  Sometimes it is important.  But hey you probably won't see this post to you either so I don't expect an answer.

• Like 2

I like spinoffs.  Sometimes the original thread doesn't catch my attention, but the s/o does.  Sometimes I read a thread (may or may not post) and never return (though I did figure out how to set my settings so I get notified on here, not by email, if someone quotes me).  Sometimes I'm interested in the subtopic, but hate weeding through long threads to follow it.  In my mind, spinoffs are so much easier to follow.

Edited by JudoMom

I think it’s helpful to start a spin off if you want to cast a wider net. People may have passed over the original, or peeked inside and decided they had nothing to contribute. Then they won’t check back to see that the thread actually went in a different direction. The spin off, however, may catch their eye and be more relevant to them.

I like spinoffs.  Sometimes the original thread doesn't catch my attention, but the s/o does.  Sometimes I read a thread (may or may not post) and never return (though I did figure out how to set my settings so I get notified on here, not by email, if someone quotes me).  Sometimes I'm interested in the subtopic, but hate weeding through long threads to follow it.  In my mind, spinoffs are so much easier to follow.

I find myself trying to figure out what the s/o thread is spun off of.  I drive myself insane some days.

• Like 3

What is t/j?

I started a s/o because I didn't want to aggravate others or distract from their discussion. The intention of a s/o thread, I think, is to continue a related but not directly relevant discussion. For instance, I wanted to talk about the general attitudes towards care giving for our elders, which was only tangentially related to the original thread that touched on that topic. 

The s/o brings more focus to a specific topic/tangent that someone wants to discuss. 

• Like 1

What is t/j?

I started a s/o because I didn't want to aggravate others or distract from their discussion. The intention of a s/o thread, I think, is to continue a related but not directly relevant discussion. For instance, I wanted to talk about the general attitudes towards care giving for our elders, which was only tangentially related to the original thread that touched on that topic. 

The s/o brings more focus to a specific topic/tangent that someone wants to discuss. 

This.

Some threads need a spin off in order to discuss a specific aspect without derailing the discussion in the original thread.

Why don't you return to a thread?  People say things to you that you never respond to.  Sometimes it is important.  But hey you probably won't see this post to you either so I don't expect an answer.

Well, I'm not Janeway (I'm pretty sure her reasons for not returning to threads are different), but I can say that sometimes I don't return to threads, or maybe only return once or twice, because I usually don't have time. When I have time to spend a few minutes here, it's usually to occupy myself (OK, it's usually to procrastinate and avoid my work!). I may spend a minute or two to offer a quick reply to someone's request for help or insight or to make a quick joke, but then I log off to go do what I'm actually supposed to be doing, and I don't come back for hours, or maybe even a day or so. By then the discussion has usually moved on. 

If I have a question related to a post I was reading, I don't want my question to get buried in the original thread because I'd like a good sampling of responses, so I post a S/O. I also don't want to threadjack, because I've seen people accidentally threadjack and then discussion goes a different way and the OP doesn't get a lot of useful replies. 

I hope that makes sense. I'm typing fast because, well...I'm procrastinating on my actual work as usual!

• Like 2

I often post on a thread and then don't open it again unless someone quotes me or unless it's something I'm really interested in. Some threads are pretty simple, like asking for an opinion on something. I often give my opinion and move on, unless someone quotes me.

As far as one huge thread or spin offs -- it doesn't make much difference to me either way. If I'm interested in a topic I'll keep up with it whether it's one humongous thread or three or four smaller spin offs.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

A lot of threads turn into 50 people saying the same thing. I tend to quit checking back after the 10th. Or 5th.  Or 2nd, if the topic is especially blah, lol.

Spin offs tend to present a new take or deeper level.  Sometimes I'll revisit the original to find out where it turned.

Of course, that's not always the case.  Sometimes spin offs are redundant.

• Like 1

I don't mind thread jacks and rabbit trails. I enjoy them. These are real conversations we're having here! Of course we're going to go off on tangents. I personally would rather keep most of the related conversation in one place so I can keep up with it better. 

However, sometimes the OP doesn't want that for whatever reason, and I (usually) try to respect their wishes.  

• Like 1

It's funny you're bringing this up, though, Red, because I keep thinking, "What more can we even say about that 15yo girl? Haven't we covered it? And we're not even part of the solution!"

• Like 3