Menu

Let's play everyone's favorite game - "Would You Still Eat This?"

Okay so I hard boiled eggs in the afternoon. I took them off the burner and moved them to a cold burner to cool. I then of course forgot about them. I found them the next morning.

They are still in their shell, still in the cooking water. The A/C has been running and the house is around 76/77 degrees.

So - Would you still eat them? Are they still good?

My college roommate brought a whole case of fresh eggs back from home one weekend. Of course, we couldn't fit them into the fridge. She said they would be fine to eat without refrigeration.

We ate these eggs for at least two weeks before they started going bad. Then they stunk like crazy and we knew better than to eat them. I never got the least bit sick.

Maybe this was crazy college behavior, but I think sometimes we are over zealous about what not to eat.

I'm not sure I'd eat your eggs now, but I know my hubby would. He eats stuff like that all the time and never gets sick.

Julie

Okay so I hard boiled eggs in the afternoon. I took them off the burner and moved them to a cold burner to cool. I then of course forgot about them. I found them the next morning.

They are still in their shell, still in the cooking water. The A/C has been running and the house is around 76/77 degrees.

So - Would you still eat them? Are they still good?

Yep. They're fine.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
m

My college roommate brought a whole case of fresh eggs back from home one weekend. Of course, we couldn't fit them into the fridge. She said they would be fine to eat without refrigeration.

We ate these eggs for at least two weeks before they started going bad. Then they stunk like crazy and we knew better than to eat them. I never got the least bit sick.

Maybe this was crazy college behavior, but I think sometimes we are over zealous about what not to eat.

I'm not sure I'd eat your eggs now, but I know my hubby would. He eats stuff like that all the time and never gets sick.

Julie

Saw this in Egypt! We spent a week in Cairo, among other places, and there were little food shops - not grocery stores - all over the place, and they didn't have refrigeration in these little shops. There were lots of eggs piled up in large carton things..just sitting there. I have no idea how long they were sitting there, but I got the idea that they were probably not fresh eggs every day. A couple of the people in our group actually bought some of the eggs and kept them in our apartment (in the fridge :tongue_smilie: ) and ate them for breakfast for the rest of the week, and they were fine.

Saw this in Egypt! We spent a week in Cairo, among other places, and there were little food shops - not grocery stores - all over the place, and they didn't have refrigeration in these little shops. There were lots of eggs piled up in large carton things..just sitting there. I have no idea how long they were sitting there, but I got the idea that they were probably not fresh eggs every day. A couple of the people in our group actually bought some of the eggs and kept them in our apartment (in the fridge :tongue_smilie: ) and ate them for breakfast for the rest of the week, and they were fine.

They just sit in their box in a cupboard in the kitchen. They aren't refrigerated in the supermarket either.

FWIW I'd eat the boiled-eggs-left-out too, so long as they were properly cooked at the time.

Laura

:001_smile:

Julie

I never store eggs in the fridge, I keep eggs for up to a month regularly at room temperature in the pantry. I never have had a problem.

I always crack eggs into a cup before using them though.:001_smile:

Julie

From what I understand fresh eggs don't have to be refrigerated and will be fine for a month. The reason they refrigerate them in the US is because of they way they are cleaned to make them look nice to put in the store. As Laura said, eggs here are not refrigerated in the shops, nor do we store them in a refrigerator.