Menu

Makeup for very light skin

TravelingChris

Can any of you that use makeup sold at counters tell me if one of the brands is more likely to have a pale foundation?  I find that drug store brands are usually too dark for me.  In fact, when I was in high school and went on a trip to Ireland, I was really sad to see that even there, the makeup sold in the drug store was way too dark for me (and for many of the Irish too).

Go to an ulta or a sephora and talk to someone. They'll hook you right up. If they recommend something and it looks good, ask what other brands would be similar. That way you can compare finishes, textures AND price points.

The first OTC foundation that ever worked for me was by L'oreal called  Alabaster.  Prior to finding it, I was having custom blended foundation at the Prescriptives counter.

Now, there are more options.  One of the Bare Minerals powdered foundations works, but not the cream/tinted moisturizer.  Sonia Kashuk used to have a very light tinted moisturizer that worked, but I can't find it anymore.  

I am also alabaster.  Are you warm toned or cool toned?  I'm cool toned and can wear Bare Minerals powdered (fair) in the winter, or in the summer I can wear Bare Minerals fairly light or IT cc cream in Fair. 

I'd also look at the NARS All Day Luminous Foundation in "Siberia", Tarte, Urban Decay, and maybe Covergirl Trublend...

• Like 1

Fenti is a new line, it's available at Sephora https://www.fentybeauty.com/pro-filtr/soft-matte-longwear-foundation/FB30006.html

Super-pale shades to super-dark.

Also, make sure you get the correct undertone (cool, warm, or neutral) You can have the correct level of darkness or lightness, but the wrong undertone cnnmake you look ghastly or garish.

• Like 1

Also, make sure you get the correct undertone (cool, warm, or neutral) You can have the correct level of darkness or lightness, but the wrong undertone cnnmake you look ghastly or garish.

I'm also wondering if this is the issue. I'm about as pale as I could possibly be and don't have trouble finding makeup that's light enough. 

• Like 3

Undertones are critical. My daughter is very pale with pink to neutral undertones and we've found the vast majority of foundations lean to yellow undertones. Her superpower is turning any foundation orange, even those labeled "cool" or "neutral." Definitely go to an Ulta or Sephora if they are nearby in addition to the counters at a higher-end department store, ask for help finding a shade, then ask for samples to take home and try wearing for a day, even if it looks great right then. Sometimes things will oxidize and turn more orange or darker as the day goes on. Ulta doesn't have as many options for samples, but does have a mix of drugstore and high-end, as well as a very liberal return policy if you try it and it doesn't work. Level of coverage will also influence, as not all lines will go as pale in all formulae.

In case it helps, my daughter's best matches have been Lancome Teint Idole Ivoire 90N (very expensive), Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua (even more expensive) in 12 beige rose, and Revlon Colorstay in 110. Mac's warm/cool designations seem to run counter to those of other brands, as their Waterweight in NW13 was much less orange than NC 15 and works better for her. She's got a sample of Bare Minerals in Fair 1 but hasn't worn it yet. Suggestions she's had swatched but hasn't had samples of yet are Too Faced in Snow and Tarte hybrid gel in Porcelain. She can use Tarte's tinted primer in the lightest shade. Clinique didn't have anything light enough. NARS Siberia is too dark. We've joked there needs to be a shade called Ghost or Vampire (but not sparkly!  :laugh: ) . Can you tell it's been a frustrating journey to try to find something?

The Body Shop has a shade lightening product that I am considering ordering. You add a little to the liquid foundation just before applying and it's supposed to lighten and neutralize the yellow to an extent. It's on sale now at 40% off, so only $12. https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-us/makeup/foundation/shade-adjusting-drops-liquid-foundation/p/p000512. I'm also looking at a brand called Bourjois--their Healthy Mix is supposed to be a dupe for the Chanel at a much, much lower price point ($8.50 on sale vs $50!!) and does have a Rose Ivory shade that I think will work. Downside is that I'll have to order it from the UK, but there's a site called FeelUnique that ships to the US for a reasonable cost.

Good luck!

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 2

Fenti is a new line, it's available at Sephora https://www.fentybeauty.com/pro-filtr/soft-matte-longwear-foundation/FB30006.html

My daughter ends up looking jaundiced with most.

Are they doing samples of the Fenty in-store? We haven't been able to get over to the closest Sephora to try yet, but it may be worth a drive soon if they are. I've looked at it online and think 100, 110, or maybe even 120 might work for my daughter. At $34, it's in the same range as the MAC or Tarte and better than the Lancome or Chanel. She'd also prefer to find a product that is cruelty-free, which the Lancome and Chanel aren't.

Edited by KarenNC

Yes, I know a few ladies who finally found the right shade with this brand!

• Like 1

Another option is just mixing a white foundation with one with the correct undertones. I'm too pale for all but a handful of brands (Bareminerals was a shade or two too dark for me. And too orange) and have yellow undertones, so I tend to go for a good match on the tones and use Body Shop Shade Adjusting Drops (Lightening) to augment. It's saved me a ton of money since I can use my brands that were a tad too dark instead of tossing them.

As for the correct tone, Kjaer Weis 'Lightness' is pretty much correct. Urban Decay Naked Skin in shade 1.0 works too.

https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-us/makeup/foundation/shade-adjusting-drops-liquid-foundation/p/p000512?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2dbup9q51gIV3oWzCh28OQ7MEAQYASABEgLnnvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNKz9anaudYCFcMQgQodq2AMcg

https://kjaerweis.com/shop/foundation-lightness/

http://www.ulta.com/naked-skin-weightless-ultra-definition-liquid-makeup?productId=xlsImpprod4550001&sku=2302288&cmpid=PS_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&cagpspn=pla&CATCI=aud-298467364766:pla-119453301150&CAAGID=23977609350&CAWELAID=330000200000514188&catargetid=330000200000762815&cadevice=m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI482Sy9q51gIVSIezCh2KjgTVEAQYAyABEgLAYPD_BwE#

I'm also wondering if this is the issue. I'm about as pale as I could possibly be and don't have trouble finding makeup that's light enough.

It might be. SweetChild is currently in esthetician school and I'm a cosmetologist... this past week she was the only one to get a correct shade on a fellow student who always ended up looking like a deathly Goth undead ghost... just by changing the undertone.

My daughter ends up looking jaundiced with most.

Are they doing samples of the Fenty in-store? We haven't been able to get over to the closest Sephora to try yet, but it may be worth a drive soon if they are. I've looked at it online and think 100, 110, or maybe even 120 might work for my daughter. At $34, it's in the same range as the MAC or Tarte and better than the Lancome or Chanel. She'd also prefer to find a product that is cruelty-free, which the Lancome and Chanel aren't.

I don't know, Sweet Child is itching to check it out, she's been too busy with school and work. Call the store and ask, even if they're sold out, they should still have sample to try and you can check back until they're in stock

To say I'm pale is putting it mildly. I have such a hard time finding foundation. There used to be an Estée Lauder shade that worked, but they discontinued it years ago and I've been searching ever since. I recently discovered MAC has a shade that is light enough. And yes, undertone is huge! I really need something neutral- most things either make me look flushed all over or jaundiced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To say I'm pale is putting it mildly. I have such a hard time finding foundation. There used to be an Estée Lauder shade that worked, but they discontinued it years ago and I've been searching ever since. I recently discovered MAC has a shade that is light enough. And yes, undertone is huge! I really need something neutral- most things either make me look flushed all over or jaundiced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's probably why I like the Kjaer Weis so much, even though I had to lighten it a bit with the foundation tint drops while I still lived in Alaska. The undertone on Lightness is pretty much dead neutral. L'Oréal True Match in N1 is decent too, but maybe a little too much peach to it. Still good though!

I'm such a foundation junkie :o

Edited by Arctic Mama