Menu

Who's not homeschooling anymore but still hanging out? ;-)

jenn&charles

Add me to the list. My kids are both in college. Neither one of them plan to homeschool their own children, so not only am I done with mine, I'm unlikely to be involved in any homeschool any time in the future either. This has been my community for eight years though. I mostly stop by the college board and check in, but occasionally I stop by the chat board too. 

• Like 4

There is a whole school for dyslexic kids? Wow. I know you probably have more people in your city than we do in our entire country but still that is amazing.

Eta. I came for the after schooling board but am just waiting for approval to come through to homeschool my ds8.

Yes!! They specialize in dyslexia but also accept students who have ADHD and some (but not all) other learning challenges.

We love it. When I was homeschooling, I found I didn't have enough time and energy to meet the various needs of each of my kids, so we appreciate having a school we can use. It's expensive, though.

There are other schools like it in our state and around the country, but there are plenty of people who do not live close enough to one to attend. Some kids who go to our school travel an hour or even more to get there each morning. We are very fortunate, because we live less than ten minutes away.

Yes!! They specialize in dyslexia but also accept students who have ADHD and some (but not all) other learning challenges.

We love it. When I was homeschooling, I found I didn't have enough time and energy to meet the various needs of each of my kids, so we appreciate having a school we can use. It's expensive, though.

There are other schools like it in our state and around the country, but there are plenty of people who do not live close enough to one to attend. Some kids who go to our school travel an hour or even more to get there each morning. We are very fortunate, because we live less than ten minutes away.

Sounds great. NZ believes that dyslexia is "a learning difference" not a disability. Ds10s best friend finally got diagnosed last year when his parents got enough money together for testing but the school thinks he just doesn't try hard enough or isn't very bright. Not really helpful. We actually don't have special education either. Unless you are extremely high needs (and sometimes even then) you are mainstreamed. If you are lucky you get enough support.

My youngest is 19yo and graduated last year.

I started working full time as a public high school teacher three years ago (the 11th grade year for my youngest). Because of that, 11th and 12th grade were done entirely at CC with whatever we couldn't get done at CC being covered by a 1x/week tutor (even though math and science are what I teach). I just didn't have the bandwidth to do hs on top of working full-time in my first years as a teacher.

• Like 1

Ds is now in his 3rd year of college. Ironically, we have a class together, although I'm in there because I work as a supplemental instructor for the class. Next semester we may end up taking Chinese together. I graduate in the spring, so it will be our last time to take a course together, seems like a fitting end to our educational journey. 

• Like 8

Sounds great. NZ believes that dyslexia is "a learning difference" not a disability. Ds10s best friend finally got diagnosed last year when his parents got enough money together for testing but the school thinks he just doesn't try hard enough or isn't very bright. Not really helpful. We actually don't have special education either. Unless you are extremely high needs (and sometimes even then) you are mainstreamed. If you are lucky you get enough support.

:sad:

It can be difficult here in the USA to figure out how to get testing and how to address learning disabilities, even though by federal law public schools are required to evaluate those suspected of LDs. Schools don't often offer the kind of help that dyslexic children need, and schools do not technically diagnose dyslexia --- they will just say it is a learning disability in reading. So there are still challenges. Which is why there is a market for private evaluations and private schools for dyslexia and other learning disabilities. Students can still get pegged with the "lazy" label.

Every school district handles special needs differently; although they must provide help, the help really varies. For example, we are looking at moving to a different school district to better meet my other child's needs when he reaches high school age. Some schools are definitely better than others.

I hope that special education improves eventually in NZ. I am not well versed in all of the history of special education here, but I think changes came over a long span of time, in response to advocacy and lawsuits by parents. Even with systems in place now, parents really have to keep advocating.

I hope your little friend is able to get good help somehow. His school's attitude is unfortunate and sad.

Ds is now in his 3rd year of college. Ironically, we have a class together, although I'm in there because I work as a supplemental instructor for the class. Next semester we may end up taking Chinese together. I graduate in the spring, so it will be our last time to take a course together, seems like a fitting end to our educational journey. 

Ds and I have an online class together this semester. We may have one more next semester, but the rest of my classes next semester will be graduate courses, so that will be it. Unless of course, he decides to get the same master's degree I am. He could start before I finish. It seems pretty unlikely, but it isn't impossible.

• Like 1

We just graduated our one and only.  I have made some connections with people here over the last 14 years that I'm not ready to give up on yet. :)

I'm glad you haven't changed your icon/avatar - whatever you call it, lol....because that's how I recognize it's YOU. Some of the others have changed theirs so I don't know if it's who I think it is or not. ;-)

I'm glad you are still here!

Just wondering if anyone else is hanging on, even if you aren't homeschooling anymore. I refuse to leave, lol....

I can't leave either.  I was here starting back in the late nineties. I even have some posts printed out that are dated 1903 (yes, that is correct). After Y2K, the board's dating system took a while to get straightened out.

My daughter graduated from college in 2013, so it's been a while since I've homeschooled.

I primarily participate in the Book a Week thread, but I also like to read the high school and college boards.  I offer documents to those who have children applying to college as a payback for the many homeschoolers who helped me years ago.

I also read the Chat board from time to time to stay informed as to popular culture.

Let me say thank you to Susan Wise Bauer for so generously providing these boards; they have been a gift.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8