Menu

Who's not homeschooling anymore but still hanging out? ;-)

jenn&charles

I haven't had time to visit the boards much, but I MISS all of the great conversations. I need to hang out more here, even though I'm "retired" from homeschooling. I put about 15 grammar related pictures books on hold at the library for a curriculum I'm working on. Does that count? ;-)

Just wondering if anyone else is hanging on, even if you aren't homeschooling anymore. I refuse to leave, lol....

Edited by jenn&charles
  • Like 11

Me! My youngest wanted to go to school full-time and she's doing well there, so I guess I am done schooling at home after 15 years.

I have extra kids over every once in awhile now. There's a Discovery Toy that I always wanted to get for my kids that I never did, not sure why. May go ahead and order it just to have around when young children are around!

• Like 3

Very close. Last year, last child, and this kid is pretty much on autopilot. We still do a little at home but it's much more a mentor relationship these days than a teacher one.

Eta I should say, there's still quite a bitnbeing done at home, but I'm not involved all the time so it seems like much less fornme to do that in those early days.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 3

There's a Discovery Toy that I always wanted to get for my kids that I never did, not sure why. May go ahead and order it just to have around when young children are around!

Yeah, I bought myself a Playmobil set....lol...and then I set it up in my craft room. ;-)

I may not have kids anymore, but I still love toys.  :laugh:

• Like 7

Here!

When I first joined about 12 years ago, I was all about the K-8 Curriculum board. This was the old board, way back when. Never went to chats. As the kids got older I went to the logic ages board a few times, but it just stressed me out. Maybe that's when I got to know the Chat Board better. This is a great place to hang--lots of intelligent women out there. I still learn quite a lot from these boards, it's just usually not about homeschooling anymore! So no plans to leave--you're stuck with me!

• Like 5

Me! Kids are all in public school for the first time in 8 years and I'm home alone. I'm expecting a baby soon, but who knows if we'll homeschool and it'll be years before I need to think about it. I'm still after schooling a little bit so that justifies my presence.

• Like 1

No longer homeschooling.  Oldest is in college, second has been in PS for 3 years and is graduating this year, and youngest started PS for 7th grade last year and loves it.

I am working as a school counselor in a public school, my 2nd year back after homeschooling and I am loving it as well.

• Like 2

Close. My last is a senior doing college applications. DE calculus, online English, Skype French lessons with my sister and brother in law in France, Community choir plus symphonic concert series and reviews for music appreciation, and pretty independent for chemistry, American Government, and Economics means that I have very little homeschooling to do. Once college apps and essays are in, transcript submitted, it is easy street until the final transcript is generated in May.

So this part of the journey is ending. I am cool with that. Eldest was homeschooled 1st- 4th, and 8th-12th. Next oldest 1st - 12th. Third child k-12, and the last as well.

Seventeen years total when I am done and homeschooling a niece for a year when we had guardianship of her, tutored many couch surfers who landed her for weeks and sometimes months at a time while they got their lives together, and tutored an honorary daughter through high school.

Most of the couch surfers did okay. One did not, tragically, did not and it took a real toll on us which is when we decided we would be officially done taking teens in. Niece got a two year degree and is doing well. Honorary Dd earned a BA, and is peachy keen. Our Dd had a BS, paramedic license, EKG tech license, and IV tech license so we are pretty sure she just likes poking people, LOL! She is married and has had an almost two year old boy whom we adore. I mean, we do love his parents, but snicker snicker, they are kind of chopped liver compared to him now. :D

Eldest son is a junior at U of Michigan, middle boy is a sophomore at WMU, and now the college applicant who can't decide between electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or aerospace engineering. Really cannot complain here.

I don't know if I will be around the hive much next year. I hope so. But my mom and MIL are in poor health, and Dh's job is moving to an office far from here...too far to commute every day. So he will be in an apartment during the week. I will need to be working at least part time with three in college, with the elderly ladies to watch over, all of their yard work and since MIL is soon to lose her car key, all of her transportation needs on me. I don't think it is going to be a pretty year.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 2

I'm enjoying my retirement from homeschooling, though I do still tutor math and help kids prep for our local spelling bee.  

I'm enjoying it as well! I used to wonder what I would do with myself when I was finished, and it turns out I have LOTS to do, and it's finally what I want and not centered around the kids.  ;)

• Like 1

I'm still here! I loved homeschooling while I was doing it, but the older two wanted to try public schooling. I think the good parts (more people their ages) outweigh the bad (pointless assignments) for them. I don't think we'll ever return to homeschooling unless we end up moving again. For personal health reasons, my younger two are at an awesome Spanish preschool. So my house is empty during a good part of the day. Things stay cleaner, but it's very quiet. I'm trying to limit on the boards because I have other things I should be doing. But here I am...

• Like 1

I have a freshman and a junior in college who are commuter students.

I currently work full-time from home, but that may need to change because DH and I are separated, and he is living in another state.I make decent money for what I do that supports us, but I have no retirement and no benefits. So I'm already poking around. The local college is talking to me about 2019-2020 when their new STEM building opens because they need my expertise. I used to work for them and went to another college where I'm 3/4 time as an online professor. That may or may not be soon enough. I have other contract work that helps too, and am looking into more of that.

If I have to get an "away" job, I'll probably not be around much here. I'm here though for the 2017-2018 school year. 

• Like 1

Me

Oldest is married now but living with us and youngest is a junior at a tech school.

But, you are my people, my best imaginary friends and 18 years of being together just doesn't go away. <3

I love this. Whenever I talk to DH about anything on the boards, I'll say "One of my imaginary friends...." or "I was reading on my imaginary friends board about..." or "I'll ask my imaginary friends about..." :)

• Like 6

I just started posting within the last few months, but I'm a long time lurker :)  All of mine went to PS this year after 8 years of homeschooling.  There are pros and cons, but the kids have adjusted very well and they are happy.  I would not be disappointed to bring them home in future years and I can't quit this board :)

• Like 1

Me! I put my kids in school, maybe just for this year, for several reasons. I just got through with my DD's parent/teacher conference and her teacher went on and on and on about how smart and responsible she is... but gave the vibe she was amazed at how smart and responsible she was *despite* her homeschooling. Things like "the homeschooled kids are usually so behind" and "we're so glad she's back in school." Of course she couldn't be so smart and responsible BECAUSE she was homeschooled. *Eyeroll* Kinda makes me want to pull her out right now if I am being honest. *sigh*

Edited by DesertBlossom
  • Like 4

My youngest is 16, so technically still homeschooling, but really she's mostly working on her AA through DE. My older two are sophomores in college.

But, yeah, I don't think I'm going anywhere. Mostly now I'm on the BaW thread, the College Board sometimes, though I do dip into other threads if they catch my eye... but seriously, what would I do without the Hive??

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

Me! I put my kids in school, maybe just for this year, for several reasons. I just got through with my DD's parent/teacher conference and her teacher went on and on and on about how smart and responsible she is... but gave the vibe she was amazed at how smart and responsible she was *despite* her homeschooling. Things like "the homeschooled kids are usually so behind" and "we're so glad she's back in school." Of course she couldn't be so smart and responsible BECAUSE she was homeschooled. *Eyeroll* Kinda makes me want to pull her out right now if I am being honest. *sigh*

Ick.

*rolls eyes in solidarity*

• Like 1

Me too!  My kids graduated from homeschooling in 2014 and 2015.  Both are doing well in college, but still living at home.  I've been a part of this community since the old days when the boardies would post "First!" when the board flipped.  Those of you who have been around that long will know what I'm talking about!  We may not always agree as individuals, but I still consider the homeschooling community my people.

• Like 3

I'm no longer homeschooling. My four children are enrolled in three different private schools. The boys are at a K-8 private Christian school, where one son in particular benefits from the tiny class size, individualized attention, and intervention services (he has LDs). My oldest can't go there, since she is in 10th grade, and the boys' school does not have a high school. So she attends a different private Christian school, which is a great fit for her. And my youngest, who has dyslexia, goes to a private dyslexia school.

And I spend much of my time driving them around, because there is no busing. But they all are doing well in schools that are a good fit for them, so it's worth it.

I still hang around here, because the Learning Challenges board is an amazing support system for me and functions as my online group of friends. I also like to pop in to the the other boards.

• Like 1

I haven't had time to visit the boards much, but I MISS all of the great conversations. I need to hang out more here, even though I'm "retired" from homeschooling. I put about 15 grammar related pictures books on hold at the library for a curriculum I'm working on. Does that count? ;-)

Just wondering if anyone else is hanging on, even if you aren't homeschooling anymore. I refuse to leave, lol....

I haven't actually homeschooled in, oh, 20 years, and yet, I'm still here. :D

• Like 7

I think I'm too old to find another online peer group - esp one with so much knowledge worthy of gleaning from.

Yes, this!  I've not been on another board with the same dynamics as here.  I like here. :)  

DH makes fun of me how often I say "well, the homeschool moms say" or "one of the homeschool moms said..."  or even, "huh, maybe I'll ask the homeschool moms..."  He often responds "homeschool moms know all..."  And I think he's right, between all of us, ya know, there's usually an answer somewhere. ;)

ETA, homeschool dads in the Hive are also included! 

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 9