Menu

Merging Traffic Lanes

goldberry

I guess I have always figured that traffic signs are put where they are for a reason. "Single lane 1/2 mile ahead" to me means "There is going to be a crunch soon, so get over as soon as you get a chance!" Most people around here seem to think it means " Stay exactly as you are until the absolute last minute, then speed up and drive like a maniac to get ahead of as many people as you can, then slam on your brakes, lay on your horn, and swear and gesture rudely at the drivers who didn't let your precious snowflake self in!"

Yup, that's how I always interpret it too. I've never seen explicit signage indicating otherwise though, so some must be regional.

Yup, that's how I always interpret it too. I've never seen explicit signage indicating otherwise though, so some must be regional.

On the Glenn Highway when the were redoing the Parks/Glenn interchange they actually had signs saying "Please use both lanes" and people still wouldn't do it. But to be fair that is the first I'd seen them be so explicit in any state I've lived in.

• Like 1

I'd never even heard of zipper merging until last week on this board. As others have said, where I live, you see signs that say something like, "Right lane ends in -- miles. Merge left." And if you wait till the last minute, nobody will let you in, as has also been said. Seems like way too much traffic stuff is regional. Glad I don't travel much, or I'd get into lots of accidents, lol.

On the Glenn Highway when the were redoing the Parks/Glenn interchange they actually had signs saying "Please use both lanes" and people still wouldn't do it. But to be fair that is the first I'd seen them be so explicit in any state I've lived in.

Ah see on the Glenn end by Gambell they start signaling the land narrowing a good 1/4 mile before it happens, with merge left/right instructions. Interesting! I'd have to ask my husband but I think managing flagging and signage is the responsibility of the contractor more than a DOT standard.

I'm seeing more zipper merging here, but it seems to take time for people to get over the idea it is rude.  I live in a pretty polite place, so taking your turn is observed socially by most people.

But I've seen it work so much better the other way - I was once in an area with merging for construction, with busy traffic, and one lane was almost entirely empty.  But the line of traffic in the other lane was so far back it extended into the intersection.

Ah see on the Glenn end by Gambell they start signaling the land narrowing a good 1/4 mile before it happens, with merge left/right instructions. Interesting! I'd have to ask my husband but I think managing flagging and signage is the responsibility of the contractor more than a DOT standard.

I mostly remembered it on the Parks interchange and haven't seen it in town where they specifically mentioned "Use both lanes". . Maybe the difference is that the cars would line up for miles and miles and miles which was really wasteful. I've never seen it line up that long in town. People would be turning on and off before that happened. Too many intersections. 

I'd never even heard of zipper merging until last week on this board. As others have said, where I live, you see signs that say something like, "Right lane ends in -- miles. Merge left." And if you wait till the last minute, nobody will let you in, as has also been said. Seems like way too much traffic stuff is regional. Glad I don't travel much, or I'd get into lots of accidents, lol.

We've had no problems doing a late merge in VA on I 95 or 81.  On I 95 we often get a lot of experience with it.   :glare:

We haven't had problems getting into line near the merge point in any state at any merge point.

I definitely like construction sites where they tell folks to use both lanes to the merge point, but even when it's stated point blank, there are several who don't.  Their choice.  It's definitely more efficient when it's done that way.

This is SO funny.  I also thought that you were supposed to merge early and looked at those that waited until the last minute as cutting in line.  In fact, I don't let them in.  I had absolutely no idea. Where in the world were we supposed to learn that.  I have never seen that posted anywhere!!!   I've never heard of the term zipper merging either. 

I'm not really sure where we learned it TBH.  It's always been common sense for us to realize that using both lanes until the merge point would move traffic more efficiently.  Hubby's a Civil Engineer and I know he had to take a "traffic" class, so maybe our knowledge came from him somewhere early in our dating or marriage days.

Construction crews certainly give themselves plenty of distance after a merge to handle what they are doing (as long as drivers are paying attention).  They don't need a mile or two longer of one (or two) lane traffic.  If they did, they'd set the merge up further back.

• Like 1

This is SO funny. I also thought that you were supposed to merge early and looked at those that waited until the last minute as cutting in line. In fact, I don't let them in. I had absolutely no idea. Where in the world were we supposed to learn that. I have never seen that posted anywhere!!! I've never heard of the term zipper merging either.

Well, this is an education forum. I've learned many things here. :)

• Like 1

This is SO funny. I also thought that you were supposed to merge early and looked at those that waited until the last minute as cutting in line. In fact, I don't let them in. I had absolutely no idea. Where in the world were we supposed to learn that. I have never seen that posted anywhere!!! I've never heard of the term zipper merging either.

I too always thought it was rude to zipper merge...but I definitely let one or two in.

Dh is from southern CA and he says zipper merging is more effective but he he believes the law intends us to merge as soon as we see the sign. We never heard of these 'use both lanes ' signs.

Yeah, but I am 50 and am just now learning this. I guess people have been really mad at me. I would have done it right if I had known!!! I HATE making mistakes.

No, I don't think so. Social norms in most places have said you should que early. You agree with most people but recognizing when a social norm doesn't work is a good thing. In most places I have lived I would say most people get angry at the people passing others in the empty lane! I didn't hear about it until a year ago or was it two when they had major work on a main artery where I live and there was a little mini campaign to fix the miles and miles of queing. But as more and more people learn it I hope they recognize it as logical rather than sit in a line an extra hour or two.

I don't get angry if people don't want to let me in at the end because I probably passed them anyway but I also don't want to join in making the problem worse. I can wait for a few cars to go by before I get over. I honestly hate that some may be angry with me.

It is great that info can now be spread in other ways but I do wish states required updated tests every decade or so even if mainly to let people know new laws. Most people probably can't even tell you driving laws much less what are simply good practices such as using both lanes.

Edited by frogger

This is SO funny.  I also thought that you were supposed to merge early and looked at those that waited until the last minute as cutting in line.  In fact, I don't let them in.  I had absolutely no idea. Where in the world were we supposed to learn that.  I have never seen that posted anywhere!!!   I've never heard of the term zipper merging either. 

This should be part of driving instruction.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

This should be part of driving instruction.

It is not covered here at all, and my two just recently got their learner's so we've just been through all the rules.

I just had to take the interstate a ways to my orthodontist appointment this morning and there was road work on one lane. Way ahead, there was a road work sign. A bit farther was a "one lane road ahead" sign.  Next was a "right lane closed, merge left" sign. Then, there was a big white "Keep Left" sign. About a half mile later was a big electronic arrow where the barrels blocking the right lane began. Just my latest example.

For the record, the interstates I drive on have very little traffic to begin with, so that may make a difference. But I'd still never heard of this zipper merging, which could only work if everybody knew about it, and would actually agree to do it. Which rarely happens.

• Like 2

. We never heard of these 'use both lanes ' signs.

I've seen them once or twice.  And it seemed to work so much better.  It's a good thing to be able to change based on evidence.  But then America still rejects the metric system despite it being the scientific standard, so..... ;)

• Like 3

Yeah, the people who jump the line of cars are cut in right at the cones? I just make them wait, I refuse to let someone merge who didn't plan ahead a good two hundred feet or so. I don't care if it's right or not, it drives me up the wall.

ETA - read the link and I wonder if that is part of it - I learned to drive in California and merging last minute on an on ramp or traffic cut was considered the height of jerkdom and much discouraged. Like, merge early or prepare to be run off the road.

LOL. I hope you don't get stuck behind me, because I often let a whole bunch of cars in at the cones both in recognition that they kept things a little less clogged for the rest of us, and also because you never know whether they're going to get a line of people behind me who stare ahead stonily as they focus on hugging the bumper in front of them. Also, I live in a city where I am still unfamiliar with many routes, and many times a kind driver has let me in for much dumber moves than failing to merge early (I will end up in a "right turn only" lane or "left turn only lane" without warning, or perhaps with warning but I didn't see it) AND give me a friendly smile upon seeing the passel of kids in my car, when they could just as well be shouting "Pay attention to the road, @*%!""

• Like 2

Also, I live in a city where I am still unfamiliar with many routes, and many times a kind driver has let me in for much dumber moves than failing to merge early (I will end up in a "right turn only" lane or "left turn only lane" without warning, or perhaps with warning but I didn't see it) AND give me a friendly smile upon seeing the passel of kids in my car, when they could just as well be shouting "Pay attention to the road, @*%!""

I have SO been there!  It's not always on purpose!

When there's no slowing or stopping (bumper to bumper) of traffic, it really doesn't matter when someone switches lanes as long as they do it by the merge point.  It's when traffic is significantly slowed that using all available lanes until the merge point helps.

• Like 1

That was what I was saying in my hurry this morning... without clear thinking.   ;)  You're right.  That's not the difference locally.  The local difference is that whoever has the more difficult turn gets the right of way whether they were there first or not.  At a four way stop, everyone takes turns as it's supposed to be.  At a normal intersection with two stop signs, it's common for someone turning left to get to go first if the traffic allows even if they technically aren't supposed to because someone across from them is turning right or going straight.  

It finally all makes sense!  I wondered what the HECK was wrong with people around here that they don't just Take Their Right Of Way!!! Just take your right of way!  Grrr!  

Now I finally understand why they seem to randomly wave me through when they're not supposed to.  So, it turns out it's a local norm if someone has the more difficult turn--which is ludicrous, because there's not enough traffic to make it a big deal.  I'd rather for everyone else to clear out of the way and them to make my left. Honestly, I'm not paying proper attention when I know someone else has the right of way.  I will momentarily relax my attention waiting for them to go before I check to see if I can go.  When someone who is supposed to go just sits there and then waves me on, I find it frustrating and I still have to pause and double check that it's safe and that they won't suddenly move because I didn't follow their wave fast enough.  (You know how that is--one person waves, the other doesn't move quickly enough so the waver things they won't go, but then they both start to move at the same time, then they both stop...blah.)

A guy tried to wave me out onto the road the other day, but had no clue that someone was coming up behind him to make a turn into a business and would have hit me if I'd followed his wave.  He stopped in the middle of the road to wave me out and if I'd following his little waving hand, I'd have been in an accident.  I don't like being waved on when it's not my turn, and just wish everyone would follow the rules as written.

I saw this discussed on facebook under an article. I guess it's more efficient to merge later, but in reality people aren't going to operate like the article. So I say merge sooner.

I hate driving in general where lanes keep ending (not because of construction but because part of my drive there are like 4-5 lines, then 4, then 3. Ugh it's a navigating nightmare when I need to take an exit and can't remember what lane to be in. Should I get in the far right or will that lane end before my exit?)

(edited: construction not traffic)

Me, too!  I haaaaate when the lanes randomly drop off and I don't know where I'm going.  It's a little better now that I have a GPS to direct me back to where I want to be if I end up missing an exit (or taking a wrong one), but is very frustrating.  I hate merging back and forth between lanes.  

I heard about it on Facebook a few months ago when someone ranted about how we should all be zippering in (never heard that particular term until today).  I was gobsmacked.  I thought it was terribly rude and dangerous driving to wait to merge until the last minute.  I mean, it makes sense to stay in both lanes, but I still thought we were supposed to merge quickly after seeing the "right lane closed" signs.

Edited by Garga

Apparently the zipper merge is illegal in Tennessee!!!

How can it be illegal? If the lane is open, you can use it, right?  I think they mean they haven't yet encouraged or tried to convert drivers. But I can't see how it's illegal to stay in the closing lane until it actually does end. 

But funny you mention Tennessee- that's where I had the problem last weekend. We were all in the right lane and some yahoo rushed past all of us in the last 150 feet and pushed to get over. I could tell the other drivers weren't happy. Several one finger salutes. 

I mostly remembered it on the Parks interchange and haven't seen it in town where they specifically mentioned "Use both lanes". . Maybe the difference is that the cars would line up for miles and miles and miles which was really wasteful. I've never seen it line up that long in town. People would be turning on and off before that happened. Too many intersections. 

Don't know if either of you are on the Glenn Hwy Rants and Raves Facebook page, but the Zipper Merge was a HOT topic last summer, and especially in regard to those signs on the Glenn heading toward the Valley during last summer's construction season. The signs were fairly explicit in their instruction to merge AT the merge point, and not sooner, but people still got angry at those who waited to merge.

I'm a big believer in the zipper merge method, and wish we had more highway signage and perhaps informational PSAs instructing people to stick to their lane until the merge point so that all lanes are fully utilized as long as possible. Merging early is a social convention that will be tough to change! People are under the impression that it is the polite way.

• Like 2

I like the zipper merge in nearly all instances but I do have a problem on a highway that is splitting with one (or more) lane going in one direction and one (or more) in another but more people are going in one direction than another so someone drives up the less frequented lane well past the split then uses the shoulder as a new lane to cut into the traffic-y lane leaving other people with the option of either hitting them or allowing them in. (There was a spot during construction on the GW Bridge out of NYC where this happened all the time and random drivers would speed up the one lane then cut over quickly into traffic...well past the merge area.)

• Like 1

Just going to point out that it seems obvious to me that if EVERYBODY does the zipper merge, nobody is "cutting in line" because the line isn't backed up into the next state. If other people are too silly to see the obvious, that's hardly your fault for being sensible - and it's not like they're going to take down your plate number and tattle on you to your mom, are they?

• Like 2