Menu

Reusable lunch containers, plastic concerns, oh my

Moxie

It bothers me how much trash our school goes through at lunch every day so I'm trying to do my part.

I bought all the kids water bottles.

I bought a bunch of plastic boxes at the Dollar Tree for sandwiches but now I'm concerned about BPA. I know nothing about BPA other than that I should avoid it.

What about chips? What can I pack chips in that I can reuse?

Should I be concerned about the sandwich boxes?

I use a lot of plastics for sending lunches to work and school.  I buy ones that are labeled BPA free though I know there are other substances that are of concern. Everything goes in a reusable container:  sandwich, cookies, even chips.  I have little rubbermaid bowls that hold enough chips.  I send a cloth napkin too. Everything just comes back at the end of the day.  

I just can't worry about it.  We never ever heat anything in a plastic container (if something is going to be microwaved I send a ceramic bowl or mason jar).  I'm sure others disagree but I haven't found a substitute so... I just can't worry about it.  

At home I use mostly glass for food storage, though I have some plastic containers for flours and sugar.  I've never seen glass containers big enough and with a big enough opening (for scooping out flour).  Glass containers that size are also so heavy!  But now I'm getting off topic, sorry.  My point was about lowering, but not eliminating, my use of plastics.

• Like 1

I use NudeFood movers. They are airtight , so even chips stay crisp. The tube container is great for snacks. They even have a freezable container that is great for yoghurt. Nothing needs to be wrapped at all.

Edited to add. They are plastic, but last for years.

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

It bothers me how much trash our school goes through at lunch every day so I'm trying to do my part.

I bought a bunch of plastic boxes at the Dollar Tree for sandwiches but now I'm concerned about BPA. I know nothing about BPA other than that I should avoid it.

I hear you. I pack food for DH daily, but he can't take glass into his plant as it's a food production facility. He eats In His office or conference room, not anywhere near production, but rules are there for everyone. I would love to do the mason jar salads for him and he would eat them, but no glass.

Look at Mighty Nest. They have all kinds of lunch boxes, divided, not divided. Very few are plastic. It's all about being reusable and sturdy at Mighty Nest.  :)

They have a variety of thermos sizes as well.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I though BPA leeched when you heated it. Don't tell me otherwise. Lalalaaaaaaa.

This is true. BPA only leaches when food is heated, worse with some foods than others. Dh was an environmental chemist and did plastics testing. Plastic is non reactive if not heated.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 4

I love chips from a bpa free reusable container - they don't get crushed!

You can google bento boxes, there are some metal ones. You can line them with parchment paper, but liquids are still a challenge. I have a glass water bottle, but the drawback is its weight.

We use metal bento boxes and glass containers. Mason jars in different sizes work for almost everything and are inexpensive. We also use fabric bags; they are simple to sew and are washable.

They have banned glass at our schools.  Kids were bringing those Starbucks iced coffee bottles and they would break and kids would get hurt trying to clean it up (or leaving it and people stepping on it.)

• Like 1

I hear ya about plastic. It's disturbing how much plastic there is... and how much gets thrown away. I don't think we really know how much plastic may be affecting our health.

I LOVE love love the UKonserve metal containers. They do have plastic tops though. They are awesome because they NEVER leak. NEVER ever!  They are expensive but worth it. I've had mine for 3+ years and they're still good as new. I put chips/crackers in them, too, and they're practically as light as a plastic bag.

http://www.ukonserve.com/