Menu

I need advice on sheets. Good. Queen.Size.Sheets

FaithManor

I have some 600 thread count from Target and they are only a year old and pilling up. I am going through this sensitive skin thing - very much I believe a hormone swing of peri-menopause because a dear friend is going through the same and currently can not wear any clothing except 100% cotton without going out of her mind - so need to purchase sheets and do not want to get more that have limited lasting power.

Dh and I are also struggling to get to sleep at night, so since we just bought a new bed and mattress - ours was 20 years old, the box springs beginning to sag, and definitely falling into the middle a bit with the mattress - I want to just get our bedroom and sleep arrangement set up as comfortable as possible.

I'd be willing to spend up to $100.00 for a "wears like iron, feels like a cloud," set.

Suggestions and where to purchase?

• Like 1

We got these a couple of months ago. So far they've been great (which is, admittedly a small sample size . They're a sateen, but they feel thicker and sturdier than any sateen I've ever felt.

They are comfy, but not slippy/slidey/drapey, if that explanation helps at all...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030GWF4U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

We bought what we thought were higher quality/high thread count sheets from Target two years ago and the fitted sheet has developed a large area that went quickly from threadbare to being a hole and is now developing another one.

We've never had sheets that wore like this, some sets lasted more than 10 years before they'd start to pill and that's with being the only set we had, and not designer or high-end sheets either.

I love these. My night sweats are no longer an issue and I am actually sleeping even with the temps ranging for hot to OMG-I-am-going-to-melt.

https://www.bedgear.com/shop/performance-sheets-and-blankets.html

ETA I see price limits. Check the Wow Deals section for lower prices.

Edited by Χά�ων

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/11/04/thread-count-does-not-matter_n_6121180.html

The article explains a lot about what to look for beyond thread count (that does matter, and it advises to buy above 200 but no more than 800 as anything higher is a marketing scheme.). Also, to extend durability, you want to look for longer fibers. Those come in Egyptian, pima, etc. cottons. And, if the sheets say "shrink free" or something like that, they have been treated with chemicals. You'll want 100% organic cotton.

I know you said $100 max. But this is your night's sleep, every night....

costco has a very nice queen size set.  <$100

I also like the better wamsutta sheets that bedbathbeyond sells.  (i've been doing those for twins and xl-twin)

and it's supima cotton that's the longer staple.  egyptian cotton has historically been long-staple - but isn't as dependable anymore - I've come across some pretty lousy "Egyptian cotton".  . .

the thing about long-staple fibers is there are fewer "ends" to stick out.  same for wool - long staple isn't itchy.

I bought some sheets on clearance with free shipping at pottery barn teen and pottery barn kids. Both have queen sized, and I mean, who doesn't want astronaut or elephant sheets?? No worries, they have boring ones, too :p They felt stiff at first but softened well and quickly, and my daughter's are still going strong after 5 years (which isn't saying much after that one thread with the 50-year old grandma sheets).

https://www.pbteen.com/m/shop/girls-bedding/girls-sheet-sets/

• Like 1

Lands End no-iron Supima is more than that, but our first set lasted ten years and were only retired because a hole appeared in the fitted sheet. The current set is three years old, but they are still soft and smooth. It only requires a 15-minute airing out to refresh them daily.

I bought some sheets on clearance with free shipping at pottery barn teen and pottery barn kids. Both have queen sized, and I mean, who doesn't want astronaut or elephant sheets?? No worries, they have boring ones, too :p They felt stiff at first but softened well and quickly, and my daughter's are still going strong after 5 years (which isn't saying much after that one thread with the 50-year old grandma sheets).

https://www.pbteen.com/m/shop/girls-bedding/girls-sheet-sets/

My kids' Pottery Barn sheets are wonderful and have held up for 10 + years.

I bought some sateen sheets from Costco several years ago that I hated because of how cold they felt, but that might be what you are looking for.

Ralph Lauren sheets are usually great quality. I learned about those from my stepmom. I've seen a lot of them recently at TJMaxx, Marshalls and Home Goods. I bought a king set for $60 so I'm assuming the queen sets are a little less.