Menu

Outlander movie being made (finally?)

Yipee! It's about TIME! I have been hoping Outlander would be adapted to the big screen for many years now; what a fantastic series of books! Gabaldon is one of the best fiction writers to come along in my lifetime, that's for sure. I just hope the screenwriter does a good job!!!

As for actors, I am trying to think of who I would want to play the main characters.

It's definitely going to be hard to find the perfect Jamie...and he's GOT to be perfect! ;)

I wonder if the powers-to-be will let us lowly fans make suggestions when casting time comes 'round? :w00t:

Gerard Butler also gets my vote. Of course, I don't know any other Scottish actors so I may be a wee bit biased.

...to discount Gerard Butler from playing any role, lol...but he's too old!!

Jamie was, what...early twenties in the first book?

G. Butler would be spot-on perfect for an older Jamie, IMO, twenty years later (movie two)...but they'll have to find a younger version of him for the first one, IMO.

I'd vote for the girl who's in the Twilight movie to play Claire. If they take a couple of years to get filming started, maybe she'll look a little older. ;-)

Oh yeah! Gerard Butler would make a fine Jamie...he could pull off the young look couldn't he?? I mean he looks mighty young to ME! ;) I always pictured Jamie as being pretty 'buff' though. Butler would have to buff up a bit, I think.

How about Jeffrey Dean Morgan? I'd be more than happy with HIM too. Oh, I mean, more than happy with him playing the part of Jamie that is... :blush:

:lol:

I'd vote for the girl who's in the Twilight movie to play Claire. If they take a couple of years to get filming started, maybe she'll look a little older. ;-)

Claire is about 10+ years Jamie's senior right? [i am going off a several year old memory]. Claire also needs to be a natural beauty who ages VERY well, with curly hair and a small, but sturdy build.

Hmph. I guess that leaves me out of the picture... :glare:

:D

Claire is about 10+ years Jamie's senior right? [i am going off a several year old memory].

I think it's only 5 or 6 years? (But it's been quite a few years since I read Outlander). He's 23 and she's 28 but turns 29 in the story. I think. Now I want to re-read it. Might be a good idea anyway since by the time Snow & Ashes came out I had forgotten some of the characters!

I'm more anxiously awaiting the next book than the movie, though.

Cinder

I'd vote for the girl who's in the Twilight movie to play Claire.

Oh, yes.... the single facial expression known as Kristen Stewart.

I've seen the Comic-Con trailer, and the 2 theater trailers, AND the teaser scene just released this week. I've been really looking forward to the movie, but one of the things that worries me the most about this movie is nearly everything Kristen Stewart says is in the same tone of voice and with the same facial expression.

I'd love to see someone like Emma Thompson as Claire. Who's like a young Emma Thompson?

As much as I was addicted to those books when I read them, I will not see the movie. No one can duplicate the Jamie I made up in my mind. And I certainly don't want to see anyone replacing me as Claire.;)

I'm torn about the movie. On one hand, I love the books so much that I'm dying to see the movie, but on the other hand I'm afraid the movie will ruin it for me. :confused1:

I read somewhere online recently that the next book in the series has been written and going through editing right now... though who knows how long till it's actually published. I'm hoping the story moves back to Scotland. It's been fun reading about NC as the story is set around the area I live so I am familiar with the places. But the Scotland setting is key for my enjoyment of the story. I loooooooooooooooooooove Scotland!

someone said that they saw Claire as looking like Jane Seymore, no, no, no.

Claire looks like small, about 5 ft, shoulder length curly brown hair, a little chubby and how shall I say it fairly buxum, Oh, wait, that sounds like me!

Jamie, I have always seen as very tall, muscular and of course long red hair, no- one I know in real life looks like that.

Quit drooling all over the message board, you people are going to force me to read the book now! It's been sitting on my nightstand for a few months. It has now moved from the bottom of the stack to the top.

I'd watch anything with Gerard Butler in it (swoon), but I guess I should read the book before I cast a vote.

Quit drooling all over the message board, you people are going to force me to read the book now! It's been sitting on my nightstand for a few months. It has now moved from the bottom of the stack to the top.

I'd watch anything with Gerard Butler in it (swoon), but I guess I should read the book before I cast a vote.

Paula, you MUST read it...really you must. ;) I recall the first book being a tad hard to get into at first. If you find that being the case with you, give it several chapters; you'll then be hooked. Even my 72 year old mother loved it. In fact, she has read the entire series and can't wait for the next 'episode'. :D

I will never watch it. WHile I love outlander, I will not have my image of Jamie ruined but some stupid actor who can never be half theman Janie is in my head

Exactly how I feel. I probably won't watch the movie.

I'm English, I've lived in America, I've visited Scotland, obviously *I* am Claire. Jamie is MINE, sorry, not sharing. :D

I'll fight ya for him. :D

someone said that they saw Claire as looking like Jane Seymore, no, no, no.

Claire looks like small, about 5 ft, shoulder length curly brown hair, a little chubby and how shall I say it fairly buxum, Oh, wait, that sounds like me!

Jamie, I have always seen as very tall, muscular and of course long red hair, no- one I know in real life looks like that.

Yes I can't picture Jane Seymour as Claire by any stretch of the imagination. She's too glamourous. Claire is more down to earth. I can't for the life of me think of anyone she looks like tho. Umm...looks like in my head that is.

Kate Winslett as Claire? I really liked her in Sense & Sensibility.

As I remember, she is only a little older than Jaime the first time she meets him, but then, when she goes over (under? through? back? whaddaya think?) the second time, she's like 20 years older.... I'm trying to remember now, was it one of those Narnia-like things where time did not elapse equally in both timelines?

If they make it Kiera Knightly, I will boycott. Perhaps Anne Hathaway, if she can get the accent consistent?

Kate Winslett as Claire? I really liked her in Sense & Sensibility.

As I remember, she is only a little older than Jaime the first time she meets him, but then, when she goes over (under? through? back? whaddaya think?) the second time, she's like 20 years older.... I'm trying to remember now, was it one of those Narnia-like things where time did not elapse equally in both timelines?

If they make it Kiera Knightly, I will boycott. Perhaps Anne Hathaway, if she can get the accent consistent?

I was thinking Kate Winslett as a possibility as well. ;) I don't think I'd like Hathaway though...to tall and lanky...not quite 'buxom' enough. She did do a very good job in her latest movie Rachel Getting Married. It was very out of character for her and she did a great job. The movie, on the other hand, bored me to tears. :tongue_smilie:

Goodness, I am putting waaaay too much thought into this! I'll have my Outlander actors all picked out before they even start casting and be crushed when they don't take my suggestions! :glare:

Since there are all of you who love the Gabaldon books here, does anyone have any good similar authors to suggest. I have read all of hers and would be thrilled to find someone else in the same genre.

Thanks.

Since there are all of you who love the Gabaldon books here, does anyone have any good similar authors to suggest. I have read all of hers and would be thrilled to find someone else in the same genre.

Thanks.

I like Sara Donati's series - the first one is Into the Wilderness. It doesn't have the time-travel element but otherwise it is much like the Outlander series. Also, if I remember correctly, there is an instance or two where Jamie and Claire are in the book (I think?! - it's been awhile since I read it). I've only read the first two but they were very good.

Y'all have piqued my curiosity today. Here you can sign a petition to voice your approval as Gerard Butler as Jamie.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/GerardButlerIsJamieFraserInOutlanderSeries

If you have not seen him in a rough and tumble role you can rent "Reign of Fire". It's a futuristic drama about dragons, sorry I was watching Christian Bale the first 3 times I watched the movie, but Butler handles his role as Bale's sidekick quite nicely.

I had no idea there was already a petition drive when I threw out his name earlier in this thread! I just fell in love with him when I saw Phantom of the Opera (I mean, come on, Christine, how could you choose silly Raoul over that hunky, complex & mysterious phantom????).

I finally saw P.S. I Love You within the last month and, tho I am no Hillary Swank fan, I was reminded again of just how adorable Gerry is. Oh, this is so totally distracting.....!

Just good to know I am in good & plenty company!

I had no idea there was already a petition drive when I threw out his name earlier in this thread! I just fell in love with him when I saw Phantom of the Opera (I mean, come on, Christine, how could you choose silly Raoul over that hunky, complex & mysterious phantom????).

I finally saw P.S. I Love You within the last month and, tho I am no Hillary Swank fan, I was reminded again of just how adorable Gerry is. Oh, this is so totally distracting.....!

Just good to know I am in good & plenty company!

Be distracted today, AuntieM, for tomorrow we shall write. :lol:

Y'all have piqued my curiosity today. Here you can sign a petition to voice your approval as Gerard Butler as Jamie.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/GerardButlerIsJamieFraserInOutlanderSeries

...when I clicked through on that link, there was an ad for...Gerard Butler ringtones!!

I am getting a little tired of my current ringtone (Looney Tunes theme)...but what in the world does a Gerard Butler ringtone sound like?

(I know someone is going to say..."Does it matter?!")

I'm guessing his voice saying, "Tonight we dine in hell!!" or..."What's that...the key to your heart?" ;-)

...when I clicked through on that link, there was an ad for...Gerard Butler ringtones!!

I am getting a little tired of my current ringtone (Looney Tunes theme)...but what in the world does a Gerard Butler ringtone sound like?

(I know someone is going to say..."Does it matter?!")

I'm guessing his voice saying, "Tonight we dine in hell!!" or..."What's that...the key to your heart?" ;-)

Maybe it says P.S. I love you. women everywhere would be dialing their own phone and never answering it. :lol: