Menu

Can I learn how to crochet from a video?

Penguin

I want to crochet with my mom. She is an expert crocheter, and I think she can help me get better but not help me get started.

What do you think? Can I get started from a video?

I will be spending the month of July at my mom's house, and I want to surprise her that I have finally started to crochet - she has probably been secretly wishing for this for decades, lol. I can't find a local class between now and then so I am going to try to just use Youtube. Or is there a specialized site that you can recommend?

• Like 2

I did- last summer...

I started with a throw that had a few different stitches then moved on to ponchos and shalls/wraps.

I must admit that I did know the bare bones basic stitches (my grandmother taught me when I was little)-- but I never made anything until last summer.

If you go to the moogly link (post # 2) click on patters/videos and you can find directions on basic stitches.

You might start with some Simply Cotton (WalMart or craft store) and practice basic stitch patterns by making some dish cloths...

there are LOTS of free patterns for beginners for these...

Avoid starting out with cheap ugly/scratchy yarn...you will be more inspired if you use better materials even while learning... Michaels and Hobby Lobby have at least a 40% off 1 item coupon each week...  this week I found a coupon for 30% off all yarn at Michael

• Like 2

OK, ladies you have boosted my confidence to figure this out from tutorials. Thank you so much! I have experience with cross stitch and hand sewing, and I think that will help.I am going to Michael's tonight :)

My mom will be so surprised!

Also, there is a yarn store nearby that has a drop-in night for knitters and crocheters and I am also motivated by that possibility.

• Like 2

Why do you think she can't help you get started? If you've tried before, I'd find another person who could help. My mom was invaluable in getting DD started with knitting, and she picked up more on her own while watching videos.

I just know the personalities involved :) Anyway, now that I have decided to do this I want to do it NOW, and I won't see her for a couple more weeks.

• Like 2

YouTube is your friend.  I mainly used how to crochet books from the library, but later I discovered YouTube.  Now I check it all the time before doing something unfamiliar, whether in knit or crochet.  

What really helped me was practicing using a multicolor yarn like this Red Heart, because every stitch or two it changes colors and it really helped me to distinguish one stitch from the next.  

• Like 1

Agreeing with everyone else - I've taught myself many things about knitting from videos. Also, don't rule out books - if your library has any, some of the older books actually have really good step by step pictures and instructions - b/c they were written before YouTube! :-)

Have fun!!!

Anne

• Like 1

I taught myself with books and websites and I'm a teacher now. Knitting and spinning too. In fact, there is not a single fiber art I do that I didn't teach myself except batik.

I joined a CAL (crochet a long) this february, one with video tutorials and have almost finished my first project.

I definetly recommend to learn to crochet through video's as some crochet descriptions are very cryptical.

With video tutorials one can crochet sooner more complex things

• Like 1

I joined a CAL (crochet a long) this february, one with video tutorials and have almost finished my first project.

I definetly recommend to learn to crochet through video's as some crochet descriptions are very cryptical.

With video tutorials one can crochet sooner more complex things

I remember when you linked to that beautiful shawl with the embroidery over crochet - was that the project? Gosh, that was pretty. I actually showed that to my mom at the time, but she didn't offer to make it for me lol. 

• Like 1

I remember when you linked to that beautiful shawl with the embroidery over crochet - was that the project? Gosh, that was pretty. I actually showed that to my mom at the time, but she didn't offer to make it for me lol.

Yes it is.

This is all the information in English:

http://www.scheepjes.com/en/cals/scheepjes-cals/scheepjes-cal-2017/information/

I also started this one:

http://www.scheepjes.com/en/cals/cals-sponsored-by-scheepjes/nuts-about-squares-cal-2017/information/#title

I changed the colors but that one is much harder.

The hygge is an ideal starters project IMO

Not too much different stiches.

The Nuts about squares is a challenge, and I crochet that one with the video in front of me.

I just copy her movements and read afterwhile how it is called what I did :)

Besides the video's a Call is also practical to me as it divide a huge project in portions.

Even if it takes three weeks to crochet week 1,

It helps to know I finished week 1 :)

I almost finished the border of the Hygge and will then update my notebook at ravelry:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Loesje22000/hygge-scheepjes-cal-2017

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My initial post was three weeks ago, and I am ready to give an update :)

I watched and analyzed a bunch of beginner videos, but

helped me the most. But after two weeks on my own, I was still mucking it up, and it wasn't until I was able to sit down with my mom that I had an ah-ha moment of clarity on the single crochet. But my mom has been doing this for over 50 years, and it is hard for her to explain what she is able to do without even thinking about it. So I watched her hands, and that helped a lot.

My goal is to do amigurumi, and my mom has never done that. She is going to help me figure out the "magic chain" while I am here, which will also be a new technique for her.

But the coolest part was her surprise and delight when I told her that I was finally going to learn how to crochet :)

This is the book I bought to inspire and motivate me: Literary Yarns: Crochet Projects Inspired By Classic Books. Always thinking ten steps ahead of my ability, I think that once I master the techniques in this book I could design my own characters.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 3