Menu

Help with my cream cheese frosting

Night Elf

I'm trying a new cream cheese frosting and it's not setting up. It has butter in it and my old recipe did not. I think that's the culprit. It called for 4 oz. room temp butter and 4 oz. room temp cream cheese. I've put it in the refrigerator to see if that will help thicken it, but even it does, won't it liquefy again when it warms to room temp on my cupcakes? I have them in a special cupcake holder container and it's too big to put in the refrigerator. I guess I can take them out and put them in the refrigerator. I'm also thinking of scrapping this batch and making my old batch without butter. What do you think?

You can add a tub of store cream cheese frosting. ;) Seriously, it's actually a thing people do when they like the consistency of the store stuff but not the flavor. I've done it a couple times recently, and it's ok. It also sounds like your house might be warm right now. Can you refrigerate the frosting and frost them right before you use them?

Well, I lied. My regular recipe also has butter so the second batch was kind of runny too. I went ahead and frosted the cupcakes and put them in the refrigerator. I'm hoping the frosting sets up on them so when we eat them they are not super messy. I just made them for us so no one is going to see them. They certainly won't win any cupcake presentation awards!!

I use Crisco instead of butter (they measure equally), because it stays very solid at room temperature.

Healthy eating takes a back seat to stable frosting!

:)

I think the reason for the "room temp" warning is so that they can be beaten together smoothly.

Best wishes in finding a remedy that works for you!

Edited by Beth S

Coconut oil might help for staying firm at a higher room temperature than butter.  If your house is hot enough for the butter to melt, then cupcakes probably should be eaten up soon after frosting them or there could be risk of the cream cheese going bad, I would think.

Coconut oil might help for staying firm at a higher room temperature than butter. If your house is hot enough for the butter to melt, then cupcakes probably should be eaten up soon after frosting them or there could be risk of the cream cheese going bad, I would think.

The high sugar content acts as a preservative.

If its too runny add more powdered sugar till its the consistency you like. If its too sweet you can add a bit of salt to cou ter it.

• Like 1

I just made some yummy and thick cream cheese icing yesterday for my boys birthday party.

1 8 oz cream cheese

1 stick salted butter

3-4 cups powdered sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix cream cheese and butter with a hand mixer until blended. Add vanilla and powdered sugar in increments until thickness and sweetness is what you desire.

Everyone loves the cream cheese icing, and it's so easy! It was very humid here yesterday, too, and it had no trouble thickening.

I just made some yummy and thick cream cheese icing yesterday for my boys birthday party.

1 8 oz cream cheese

1 stick salted butter

3-4 cups powdered sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix cream cheese and butter with a hand mixer until blended. Add vanilla and powdered sugar in increments until thickness and sweetness is what you desire.

Everyone loves the cream cheese icing, and it's so easy! It was very humid here yesterday, too, and it had no trouble thickening.

That's pretty much what I used, only I halved it because I didn't need so much.

When I researched the problem online, it said adding more powdered sugar wouldn't work and would only make the frosting super sweet.

The only time I use this frosting is when I make apple cake which I don't even take out of the pan so I've never noticed the consistency of the frosting. 

Having the cupcakes in the refrigerator is working. The frosting isn't running down the side. It's fine for the rest of the family because they do like cold cake. I prefer it warm or at least room temperature.