Menu

what's for dinner?

Elizabeth86

It was pizza tonight.

Last night it was beef mushroom soup, sauteed red cabbage, and loaded cauliflower casserole.  The night before that, it was chicken, rice, and peppers with green chili sauce from Aldi, made in my magic pot (that's what we call the Instant Pot).

Do you have an Aldi?  We love their Asian-style simmer sauces -- chili, korma, jalfreezi, dopiaza, and our favorite, tikka masala.  Saute some peppers or onions if you have them, throw chicken in with them in the magic pot with a little water, cook for twenty minutes, add rice, cook for five minutes, add frozen veggies (peas, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower), cook for a couple more minutes, stir everything and chop the chicken a bit, add sauce, switch to saute, and heat it all through.  I end up eating way too much because it's so good.

Burgers are always a huge hit here.  DH likes to create fun combinations out of random ingredients.  One is hash browns, sliced cheese, coriander chutney (insanely expensive from Amazon but dirt cheap from a local Asian grocery store), mushrooms, and artichokes on (Aldi) guacamole ranch dressing.  Another is fried onions, chipotle mayo (just mayo mixed with a bit of the sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce), and pepper jack cheese.

DH loves chicken Caesar salad in the summer.

These are ideas I'm considering for this week: 

BBQ brisket--my granny's recipe (I've never made it because I'm afraid it won't be as good as hers!), served with hash brown casserole and green beans. This is comfort food for me.

Cottage pie, served with fruit

Tacos, served with Mexican rice, refried beans, and maybe corn.

Sloppy Joe's, served with carrots and any other fruits or veggies we have around

This stir-fry: https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/08/beef-cabbage-stir-fry/, except ground turkey instead of beef and broccoli slaw instead of cabbage, served with rice

Chicken corn chowder, served with salad

Instant Pot chicken and sweet potatoes

This is our basic schedule:

Saturday: pasta+vegetables

Sunday: potatoes, vegetabeles, meat

Monday: idem

Tuesday: noodles+chicken+vegetables

Wednesday: rice+chicken+vegetables

Thursday: beans+vegetables

Friday: fish, potatoes, vegetables

This is for the eveningmeals.

I actually have a plan this week!

Tonight: roast chicken, baked potatoes, napa cabbage from the garden, maybe the last of the sugar snaps, stir fried

Sunday: leftovers and whatever is served at small group

Monday: Deconstructed egg rolls, fruit

Tuesday: Philly cheesesteak lettuce wraps, baked sweet potato fries

Wednesday: Merguez meatballs, stir fried veggies

Thursday: pina colada chicken, cauliflower rice and regular rice, fresh salad from garden produce

Friday: make a meal with the fragments

I have lots of fruit, Lara bars, almonds and popcorn for the making for snacks this week. Hot dogs, nuggets, quesadilla and sandwich fixings for kid lunches, leftovers and salads for me and dh.

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

We had to eat at Wendy's tonight... It's definitely not my favorite (FIL's choice), but their chicken mozzarella salad with balsamic vinegar dressing was pretty good.  

Last night it was Bill's BBQ in Wilson, NC.  That was very, very good (Hubby's choice - did anyone else drive 7 1/2 hours for a "Father's Day" meal for their hubby??? :lol: ).

The last thing we made for ourselves was this lamb and lentil stew (in the crockpot):

http://www.food.com/recipe/hearty-lamb-and-lentil-stew-375190

We made a few modifications like adding curry. It was pretty good, but I like lamb with various beans better than lentils I think.  Still, it was worth a try.

Not sure yet what tomorrow will bring - quite probably a stop at Steak and Shake on the way home (we don't have them around us and they make the BEST milkshakes).  I'm not sure though - hubby will choose again.  There is a Kabob place on our way home he might pick instead.  It won't be Wendy's!