Menu

Fiesta ware serving dishes/extras

DawnM

Do you have anything other than your regular plate set?

Serving dishes/pieces????  What do you LOVE and use often?  

I have a gift card I am going to use and may be increasing my fiesta ware collection. I need more soup bowls, but I still have some $$ leftover and want something fun/useful.

HELP!,

Thanks

I have 2 platters---a small one (9.5"?) and a larger one (14-15"?). I also have a large bowl w a curved edge and a slightly smaller bowl w a flat edge.

I also have the taller bowls that we use for chili and stews. They're also good for serving dishes when we host buffets.

I have a very large round platter that is much more useful than I would have thought.

It holds roasts to be carved at the table, but it's also great for a big cheese platter (4-5 varieties of cheese slices or chunks in different areas, plus a bunch of crackers or a little block of blue cheese in the middle).  Also, this year at Easter I bought 3 little potted herb plants and put them in the middle with alabaster and rock Easter eggs all around them, very artistic looking on a turquoise platter.  It's also a great size for a serving platter for steamed artichokes or rebaked potatoes or stuffed winter squash.  I plan to serve an array of different kinds of decorated cookies on it the next time I host our book group as well.  It has more depth than the average big flat plat type platter, so it's great for things where you really want a very shallow but broad serving bowl.  Plus it's casual enough to avoid the whole intimidating hostess thing.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

I use my medium and large bistro bowls the most, sometimes I reach for these instead of a plate no matter what I'm having. Love these for salads, soups, sandwiches and chips, and I use them for serving bowls as well.  I also regularly use 9x13  and 8x8 baking dish. 

• Like 1

One of my favorites is a round platter that is just a little bit bigger than a plate.  It even fits in my dish cupboard under the plate stack.  It is great for a serving dish for regular family dinners.

I didn't buy the premade sets.

We have dinner plates, luncheon plates, bistro bowls. the bowls with the lip, fruit bowls and the cups with a regular handle (not the little circle).  I really like that I picked what I wanted instead of being stuck with random pieces I didn't want.  I also bought according to use, not sets.  So we have about 12-16 plates but only 8 cups, everything else is in between, with the amount based on if I seem to run out before the dishwasher runs LOL. 

We also have a large chip/dip platter that is used for various things.

My baking dishes are all Denby, so I can't speak about FWs, but I think they would be wonderful as well.

Pieces of fiestaware that we have besides plates, serving dinner to a family of 4 adult eaters:

Used almost nightly:

- medium bowls -- serving side dishes, or for individual servings for soup or stew

gusto bowls -- ditto (glad I did NOT get the chowder bowls, which would be too short for how much soup/stew my men-folk want to put in a bowl)

medium bistro bowl -- serving salads and sides; I love the shape and size of this one much more than the large bowl and pedestal bowl (below)

Used fairly often:

fruit bowls -- surprisingly used a lot more than I would have guessed -- for condiments, family uses them as ice cream bowls, and for when I have a lot of guests, they work great as butter dishes, or I slip a salad plate under them and can use them for seasoned oil for dipping bread

utensil crock -- I do have one on the counter as my only utensil holder for daily use, and it's cute, but a bit short and not as wide as I would like -- man, it's hard to squeeze all the fat handles of the modern utensils in there to get all of my daily use utensils into it

Disappointed:

- stacking cereal bowls -- DH wanted something in between the fruit bowls and medium bowls, and while volume-wise this fits the bill, and they do nest nicely so they don't take up height in the cupboard, BUT... the design is so flared that it takes up too much cupboard space width-wise, and because they're so flared and shallow in shape, it's very easy for liquids to slop out of these :(

Used when we have a family dinner (a few times a year):

- large bowl, pedestal bowl -- serving larger amounts of side dishes when having company for dinner

small, medium, and large oval platters -- for meat, bread/rolls, or other sides that don't need a bowl

pitcher -- to have water on the table

gravy boat -- gets used once a year for Thanksgiving dinner ;)

covered butter dish -- ditto

Never used:

mugs and teacups/saucers that came as part of dinner sets -- love the look, but the handles are too difficult to get more than 1 finger through them for holding comfortably :(

Edited by Lori D.

The 6 1/4 oz fruit bowls are used the most here.

If I didnt have them, I would consider the 9 oz fruit/salsa bowls now, as they would be good for soup, ice cream, and fruit. The 6 1/4 aren't good for soup, but they do fit well in the dishwasher.

Second most used are individual oval casserole dishes.

I got rid of the little cups that came in the set too but I bought lots of the Java Mug.  I really like the size of them for hot chocolate, tea, broth, small amounts of soup for a sick person etc. I'm sure they would work well for coffee too but since I can't stand coffee we've never used them for that.

Fiestaware....sigh...I love it so. We have mugs, salad bowl, butter dish, gravy boat and a serving dish. I love them all even if some rarely get used. When they do I adore them. We have fiestaware dish towels. I might steer clear of those as ours are not great quality.

I have 2 of the oval platter, and it is probably the piece I'll continue to buy more of as it's just a really good serving platter as far as size, shape, what it holds, etc. 

I also have the rectangular baker, which I like and holds heat really well; I may get more of those. 

I have 2 deep-dish pie plates, and the cake platter, which are good, but not something I need more of. 

We are good with mugs.  I have 12 of the Jumbo 18 ounce mugs.

We actually use those for drinks and soups and even ice cream!  HA!

We have enough plates, luncheon plates, and most bowls, but I need a few more.  The soup bowls seem to fit best in the dishwasher.

What I really want now are serving items.

I have a handled serving plate - which looks like a larger plate with ears. Nice for serving cakes, cheeses

I use my butter dish daily

I have countless bigger bowls and platters. And I love the oval bakers.

Have a couple covered casseroles.

Really all fiesta is awesome!!

• Like 1

There's not much in Fiestaware that I don't own!!  Don't judge me -- I live near the factory and all of my pieces are seconds!  

If I was only going to buy one thing, it would probably be the baking pans.  I have two 9 x 13's and things bake up wonderfully in them and they're super easy to clean.  

The only thing I've bought that I'm not excited about are the soap dispensers.  The opening is small so they're hard to refill.  Since you can't see through them, it's hard to tell when they're full and the lids don't seem to fit all that well.