Menu

Trying to remember a children's picture book

PrincessMommy

A friend of mine was asking, but the thing is I've also been trying to find this very book.  I remember reading it to my children in the 90s, it may have been as old as from the 70s or 80s, but nothing older than that, because of the paintings.  I thought I'd ask the Hive, since we have a lot of readers of picture books here:

"Many years ago I bought a picture book for my children about a man (he was 18 or 19) who left home, walked into a virgin valley, built a house from the timber in that valley, and married a woman. Every time the page turned his wife told him he had to make the house bigger (babies, invalid parents, widowed sisters,etc.) until the last page when his children built a house for him and his wife to live in in their old age. It is one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. I no longer have this book. I do not remember the title or the author. I would love to buy another copy. Do any of my friends recognize this story and know who wrote it or the title?"

• Like 2

no.  The pictures were more realistic & colorful.  It showed the house with a flower garden and yard... and he kept adding to the house.  

Thanks though.. it was worth a shot.

Homeplace? 

https://www.amazon.com/Homeplace-Anne-Shelby/dp/0531071782/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497102920&sr=8-3&keywords=homeplace

Your description doesn't fit exactly, but it is about a young couple who build a house and then each successive generation keeps adding on to it.

That might be it!! because I may have misremembered parts. Unfortunately, there's no good photos of it on Amazon.  I'm going to get it from the library and see.  I'll get back to you.

• Like 2

That might be it!! because I may have misremembered parts. Unfortunately, there's no good photos of it on Amazon.  I'm going to get it from the library and see.  I'll get back to you.

I wish I still had our copy of it, but I'm pretty sure I gave it away. I got it from the Chinaberry catalog years ago when my kids were small. It is a beautiful book!

• Like 1