Menu

Bat infestation at the roof line...

1GirlTwinBoys

Anyone experience this??  We saw at least 50 fly out of our roof line/attic area tonight at dusk and you can hear them in there when standing outside.  I'm assuming we should call an exterminator?

Was hoping some of you had experience with this.

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys

Do you mean they are getting into your attic?  When you are in your attic (if you can get there easily), can you see their droppings?  If they're getting inside, I'd call the professionals.  Not an exterminator per se, but someone who will check your home thoroughly to find places where they might be (or could be in the future) entering.  They'll seal them up, leaving a couple openings in the attic with a little "door" that opens to the outside (in case any bats are in the attic) but will not open from the outside to the inside.  That way bats can fly out, but not back in again.  Now is the time of year when bat companies can do this.  If you wait until it gets cold and the bats might be beginning to hibernate in your attic, they'll have to wait til next spring.

I don't mind bats, just not in my house!  Once they are in our attic, they eventually seem to find their way through the walls into the main living area.

We were told that once bats include your house as part of their route, they will keep it on their route for up to 15 years, usually trying to find a way inside once the weather starts cooling.

I would consider professionals.  My parents had bats, in very large numbers, they fought them for the entire 20 years they had that house.  

We have a pair of bats that come and go here.  They are isolated to one section of the attic.  We try to block them out, and are successful for a year or two, then they find their way back in.  On expert advice we sealed all the ceilings and casings so they can't access any of the rest of the house when they are here.  Luckily, we are in an area that just won't support a large population.  We are going to put up a bat house.

Edited by melmichigan

We have a LOT of them I'm sure of it.  I called a professional today and he's coming back soon and it will take a few hours.  He needs to seal off entry points and install the vent where they can get out but not back in.  He said all of them should leave tonight at dusk.  If not, definitely within the next 3 days or so they will all be gone.  He thinks there is a large colony living up there in the attic.  One of my boys can hear them at night above the ceiling.  Probably right before dawn when they are all coming back in.  

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys
  • Like 1