Menu

Duck Tape prices

So, let's say you go through an industrial amount of duck tape constantly. Colored, black, silver... the whole deal. I don't suppose anyone has already done some price research on this to figure out what's the cheapest way to buy in bulk? Brand not an issue.

• Like 1

I needed to buy 25 rolls for a class recently, and after lots of driving and internet searches found the best prices on Amazon. I should have just trusted my gut and gone there first.

I'm pretty sure Amazon is the center of the universe.

• Like 3

I don't know. 

But my boys ask for duct tape for presents from extended family. It's easy for extended family to buy, no need to go to special toy stores, or worry about getting the wrong thing. It's also available everywhere, so even easy for their grandfather who only shops at hardware and grocery stores to buy. 

Those extended family members usually package it with empty toilet paper and paper towel rolls. 

• Like 1

Hardware stores, the smaller ones not Home Depot or Lowes. They have the thickest rim of duct tape I could find. Is it for DI? You might want to check small or family owned art supplies stores too as we found they would be willing to bulk order bigger rims which usually cost less than the typical school/office supplies sizes.

• Like 3

Hardware stores, the smaller ones not Home Depot or Lowes. They have the thickest rim of duct tape I could find. Is it for DI? You might want to check small or family owned art supplies stores too as we found they would be willing to bulk order bigger rims which usually cost less than the typical school/office supplies sizes.

It was for DI earlier this year. But now they're using tons for co-op. First they were making these boffing swords to sell as a fundraiser. Then they were making things for an historic reenactment of the battle of Marathon and that included a lot of cardboard ducktape covered Athenian helmets. And then they started making these duck tape wallets... I have gone through an insane amount this year and I'm sick of running out!

That's a good tip about the really big rims. That would be useful.

• Like 2

No idea, but I finally have a chance to post my Duct Tape Madrigal and I'm not gonna pass it up.

(You should probably get more of the stuff. It's not like it goes bad.)

:lol: I think the kids and I can do that in a nice round. It could be our household theme song.

It really won't hurt me if I bought a hundred dollars worth and stored it in the back of the basement. There's no way we wouldn't eventually use it.

• Like 1

Our family was introduced to Warfare by Duct Tape a few years back, and I asked the publishers of that excellent series (teen home schooled brothers, now grown!) that very question. 

They told me that they had done extensive research, and even tried once to negotiate a bulk deal, but ultimately found the best cost at Wal-Mart. 

• Like 4

Amazon and eBay are probably the best places to buy things like that and do it quickly.  I think it was 2 years ago, I discovered that I could buy 10 USB Data Cables on eBay for $7, and  6 or 7 USB Chargers for $10. Something like that. My wife thought we would never use them. But people came to our house and forgot their chargers, or a charger died, and my wife bought the Samsung phone I am using, used, from a Niece, and it did not come with the charger. I think most  or all of the chargers are gone now...

My wife is Colombian and she believes that Americans do everything with Duck/Duct tape and that may be true. For years, I had a roll in the trunk of my car.

I have also seen other things I am looking for, in quantity lots, on eBay, for about the same price as one of them costs...

Edited by Lanny

And... there's $50 of Duck tape in my Amazon cart. Will this get me through next year?!?

With my girls, it's Scotch tape, LOL. They've only started to realize some of the uses of Duck tape. I'm purposefully keeping them in the dark. ;)

It's good to know we're not the only people out there plowing through tape. ;)

• Like 1

So, for plain, silver duck tape in the standard stickiness, it seems that Wal-Mart (and probably, by extension Sam's) has the best price. For those touting Amazon, Wal-Mart's prices are only a little more than HALF of Amazon's (though you have to go pick it up at Wal-Mart) and have the added benefit of not having to buy several rolls to get a better price like on Amazon and presumably the price doesn't fluctuate wildly the way every price does constantly and unpredictably on Amazon.

The site Um_2_4 linked just above this post seems to have the best price for colors, but you have to buy in bulk of a single color. So I'd really have to stock up for years worth of tape, though it might be worth it. After all, this is what we're doing instead of sending the children to college - we're buying duck tape.

• Like 2

You might also check at Costco.  That's where we bought ours most recently (two ginormous silver rolls) but since we are in Canada I can't say how prices compare to those in the US.

I haven't checked in store, but at some point, I checked the website and the cost was about the same as Amazon - so nearly twice as much as that cost at Wal-Mart. There may be some better bulk deal in store though. I need to remember next time I go. We don't have a Sam's around (and I like Costco better anyway for all kinds of reasons).