Menu

Maybe it wasn't a very good idea to get 10 hours into the audio version of Stephen King's It...

ILiveInFlipFlops

...when I'm going to be home alone all night  :svengo: And now I need to go downstairs to start laundry and get the hamster out for exercise. 

On the upside, I didn't think I was going to be able to tolerate listening to Steven Weber read for 40 hours, but he's actually doing a really great job.

Can someone come over and chaperone me please?!!! 

:leaving:

• Like 7

I had a similar experience when I was in college.  The very first time that I stayed overnight in the house by myself -- and for a whole weekend! -- was the weekend that I had to read Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher and write a paper on it.

I didn't sleep much.

• Like 2

The first time I read "It" I was in college. I was staying with a friend who lived in a rural area. She worked during the day and I was home alone. It was broad daylight while I was reading. And I still - in the middle of the day - had to go sit in the car in the driveway (for more than an hour) because I was so freaked out by staying alone in the house after reading that book! (I kept hearing creaks, the wind on the window, all the silence and all those doors and cabinets and I was there alone.......)

Stephen King should be banned. (JK, but, man, that man has a way of creating psychosis in normally healthy people)

• Like 5

Nope.  You are on your own.  Sorry!

Why have you forsaken me????  :crying:

On my way...But I'm traveling incognito so you won't be able to see me.

I'm not sure whether that's comforting or not!

It'll be ok.  After all, we all float down here...

Why are you so mean? The whole thing didn't bother me at all until I was in the middle of the part where he's telling the story of the boy whose brother was killed by their abusive stepfather, and later the older brother is alone at night in the park and the thing comes after him. And suddenly I really had to go to the bathroom, but when I got up, I realized how dark the rest of the house had gotten, and I had to get to the bathroom while Steven Weber is doing this terrifying murderous voice... Suddenly I didn't have to go so badly!

:lol:  :laugh:  :eek:

Getting ready for the new remake?

Actually, yes! This is my very favorite SK book, and I can't wait for the movie. The trailer release got me psyched up, and figured it was a good time to "read" the book again. I'm not sure if reading it would have been less scary or more :lol:

• Like 2

I had a similar experience when I was in college.  The very first time that I stayed overnight in the house by myself -- and for a whole weekend! -- was the weekend that I had to read Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher and write a paper on it.

I didn't sleep much.

Oh no, that's so much worse! At least my DH and the kids will be home in a few hours!

The first time I read "It" I was in college. I was staying with a friend who lived in a rural area. She worked during the day and I was home alone. It was broad daylight while I was reading. And I still - in the middle of the day - had to go sit in the car in the driveway (for more than an hour) because I was so freaked out by staying alone in the house after reading that book! (I kept hearing creaks, the wind on the window, all the silence and all those doors and cabinets and I was there alone.......)

Stephen King should be banned. (JK, but, man, that man has a way of creating psychosis in normally healthy people)

This made me :lol: so hard. You are so right. There are some things that are just burned into my brain from SK books or movies. 

Well, I could come over, but I'd bring my copy of The Exorcist. ;)

That would totally work. Solidarity, sister! 

• Like 2

I live out in the farm land of Pennsylvania. At night there are NO street lamps when you're on the backroads, and they're all backroads. When you drive at night and look at your rear view mirror, you see total, pitch darkness. The mirror is black.

I took my son to a concert a few hours away a few years ago. It was dark when the concert ended. While my son, who was very young at the time, slept in the back, I listened to Dracula on CD, thinking, "Oh, it's an old classic. It won't actually be *scary*."

And it probably wasn't. Unless you're the only (only) car driving on back roads in the middle of fields with no (no) lights and you can't see anything to the sides or behind you and the rear view mirror is black so you can't tell if there's a vampire in the back of the minivan waiting to pounce.

And then it's really, really scary.

I feel for you. Turn on all the lights in the house. :)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 8

I don't do scary.  Ever.  Dh loves scary.  As a kid he used to stay up and watch the most inappropriate scary/ slasher movies (1-899-EVIL?) with his mom.  When Dh & I were in college he worked nights at the local grocery store.  In our tiny little studio apartment we watched "The Silence of the Lambs."  My very first scary movie.  Then he kissed me good bye & left for work.  I don't think I budged from the couch all night long.  Never again.  Now he watches scary movies alone while I do something else with earplugs in.

Amber in SJ

It also turns out that it's not a good idea to let the hamsters roll around in plastic balls while you're all freaked out, because when you have your back turned and one of them rolls from the carpeted living room into the linoleum-floored kitchen, you'll get so scared you may want to barf into the dishwasher you're unloading. I think I'm just going to go back to sitting with my back against a wall somewhere. 

I live out in the farm land of Pennsylvania. At night there are NO street lamps when you're on the backroads, and they're all backroads. When you drive at night and look at your rear view mirror, you see total, pitch darkness. The mirror is black.

I took my son to a concert a few hours away a few years ago. It was dark when the concert ended. While my son, who was very young at the time, slept in the back, I listened to Dracula on CD, thinking, "Oh, it's an old classic. It won't actually be *scary*."

And it probably wasn't. Unless you're the only (only) car driving on back roads in the middle of fields with no (no) lights and you can't see anything to the sides or behind you and the rear view mirror is black so you can't tell if there's a vampire in the back of the minivan waiting to pounce.

And then it's really, really scary.

I feel for you. Turn on all the lights in the house. :)

Yeah, done. I even managed to walk boldly into two pitch dark bedrooms to get to the lamps in them. And then the rodent scared the bejeebers out of me :lol: 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 3

It also turns out that it's not a good idea to let the hamsters roll around in plastic balls while you're all freaked out, because when you have your back turned and one of them rolls from the carpeted living room into the linoleum-floored kitchen, you'll get so scared you may want to barf into the dishwasher you're unloading. I think I'm just going to go back to sitting with my back against a wall somewhere. 

I highly recommend sitting in the car in the driveway....but only if it's broad daylight.....

Oh - and it helps to keep the doors locked, the keys in the ignition, and the car facing out toward the street. 

A friend told me. 

• Like 3

...when I'm going to be home alone all night  :svengo: And now I need to go downstairs to start laundry and get the hamster out for exercise. 

On the upside, I didn't think I was going to be able to tolerate listening to Steven Weber read for 40 hours, but he's actually doing a really great job.

Can someone come over and chaperone me please?!!! 

:leaving:

Snickering....

When I was about 15, my dad took my brothers camping and my mom decided to rent all the Psycho movies for she and I to watch for girls' night.....