Menu

On a search for long-lasting and absorbant towels

Katy

I found some amazing bath sheets at Marshalls for about $4 a piece a year ago.  In the last month 3 of them have come out of the dryer with holes in them.  Yes, I've bleached them twice.  Stomach flu was involved so the bleach was non-negotiable.  I'm sick of replacing towels so frequently.  I seem to remember my parents having some that were nearly 40 years old, and a bit stained, but without holes.  Mom seems to think they were handmedowns from a relative and the store they came from went out of business when I was a child.  Does anyone have good towels that have lasted for more than 10 years without holes?

We have been using these for a long time (not ten years yet) and they are like new still.  I actually don't like them because they are SO thick and absorbent that they take forever to dry.  But they are soft, absorbent, and my kids love the large size.  

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1729155/simply-vera-vera-wang-pure-luxury-bath-sheet.jsp?color=Blue%20Violet&prdPV=10

ETA - I am sure I didn't spend even close to the current price so I would wait for a better sale and coupons.  

Edited by Erica H
  • Like 1

I don't know. They just don't seem to make them that well anymore. I bought a set of towels at Mervyns when I went away to college in 1995. They came with me when I got married in 1998 and we're still using most of them--and they're not frayed or thin or developing holes. I can't say the same about other towels I've bought since. Additionally, my husband brought a few terry cloth dish towels to the marriage. They came from his mom's kitchen and were probably well-used when he took them away to college. We still have several of them. Some of them are pretty thin now, but still no holes or fraying.

• Like 3

LLBean had very good towels last time we bought theirs. I would guess ours lasted 10 years at least. Also Charisma brand seem very good though I haven't had them for 10 years yet. Costco sells them, in my area at least.

Interesting.  I've seen the towels in Costco but never tried them.  Maybe I'll get one from each place and try them to decide.

• Like 1

I found some Hotel Reserve ones at TJMaxx that are super absorbent and really thick. I just looked for ones that were really thick feeling and were made with all cotton. They have held up wonderfully for a year now and I bleach every time I wash them.

Previously, I had some pink and blue ones that I bought twelve years ago at Bed, Bath, and Beyond from our wedding registry. They lasted really well and were the top of the line ones at the time.

• Like 1

We've bought nothing special brands from COSTCO, Target, and walmart. All have lasted many many years (still have some from that are 15+ years old) and get bleached regularly - washed on hot with an agitator. Maybe don't try the fancy brands? Or is it something about your washer/dryer? I've never had a towel get a hole from the washer.

• Like 1

When we downsized I got everyone two set of towels from Pottery Barn after having the same problem and doing some research. I was tired of buying things that didn't last. These have held up really well for the last several years. I could see them being the kind that last 20 years (we are only 6 years in but they all still look great). They were pricey but worth it, and Pottery Barn does sales/coupon codes. I think they are made from Turkish cotton.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 1

I just have to say your timing is impeccable. I've spent the last two days reading towel reviews online for the same purpose. Our towels have become unraveled around the edges and all seem to be going downhill over the last few months. They are slowly being pitched in to the car wash pile and we have few left. So happy to see this post! :)

I've been very happy with the hotel-type hand towels, wash cloths, and bathmats I've purchased from Georgia Towels on eBay. They are soft, hold up well, and are fairly cheap. I think I've had the bath mats for a couple years so far with no problems. 

First I look for all the 100% cotton ones, then eliminate the ones that are more than I want to pay. When that's done, I look at the weight of the towel, which they include in most of their listings, and buy the heaviest. They don't always list the brand, but I like the St. Moritz ones.

I noticed that when bleaches started being sold as "ultra-concentrated," I started getting holes in things. Definitely use less than you are accustomed to use if your bleach is concentrated.

• Like 1

I just have to say your timing is impeccable. I've spent the last two days reading towel reviews online for the same purpose. Our towels have become unraveled around the edges and all seem to be going downhill over the last few months. They are slowly being pitched in to the car wash pile and we have few left. So happy to see this post! :)

Now and again, when an otherwise-good towel starts raveling at the edges, I use my serger to re-finish the edges.  The serger cuts off the raveled parts and wraps the clean edge with wooly nylon, a thread that kind of "fills in" so you get a good sturdy finish.  A few times I've taken a towel with a hole in it and cut the rest into washcloth-sized pieces, again serging the edges.  It is so nice to do cleaning work with a good sturdy cloth, rather than something flimsy, or paper towels.

We have many towels that must be at least thirty years old; interestingly it's the newer ones that have raveled, not the older ones.  I'm guessing most of the older ones came from JC Penny, or possibly Sears.  I would not assume their current lines are of the same quality.

You do, to some extent, get what you pay for.  I would not expect a $4 towel to hold up for very long. 

I would also consider whether your bleach is getting well-diluted before it touches the towels.  It takes a while to disburse throughout the water, and straight bleach will create holes very quickly.

We've bought nothing special brands from COSTCO, Target, and walmart. All have lasted many many years (still have some from that are 15+ years old) and get bleached regularly - washed on hot with an agitator. Maybe don't try the fancy brands? Or is it something about your washer/dryer? I've never had a towel get a hole from the washer.

Given that some old handed down towels that are treated much worse (used on random messes, dogs, bleached much more frequently) are treated the same, I don't think so.  We have Samsung front loader HE washer & dryers.

I've been very happy with the hotel-type hand towels, wash cloths, and bathmats I've purchased from Georgia Towels on eBay. They are soft, hold up well, and are fairly cheap. I think I've had the bath mats for a couple years so far with no problems. 

First I look for all the 100% cotton ones, then eliminate the ones that are more than I want to pay. When that's done, I look at the weight of the towel, which they include in most of their listings, and buy the heaviest. They don't always list the brand, but I like the St. Moritz ones.

I noticed that when bleaches started being sold as "ultra-concentrated," I started getting holes in things. Definitely use less than you are accustomed to use if your bleach is concentrated.

I do use ultra concentrated on the toilets sometimes, but I avoid it for the laundry for just that reason.

Now and again, when an otherwise-good towel starts raveling at the edges, I use my serger to re-finish the edges.  The serger cuts off the raveled parts and wraps the clean edge with wooly nylon, a thread that kind of "fills in" so you get a good sturdy finish.  A few times I've taken a towel with a hole in it and cut the rest into washcloth-sized pieces, again serging the edges.  It is so nice to do cleaning work with a good sturdy cloth, rather than something flimsy, or paper towels.

We have many towels that must be at least thirty years old; interestingly it's the newer ones that have raveled, not the older ones.  I'm guessing most of the older ones came from JC Penny, or possibly Sears.  I would not assume their current lines are of the same quality.

You do, to some extent, get what you pay for.  I would not expect a $4 towel to hold up for very long. 

I would also consider whether your bleach is getting well-diluted before it touches the towels.  It takes a while to disburse throughout the water, and straight bleach will create holes very quickly.

You're probably right.  Though they were initially marked $22 & marked down to 4 on a final closeout deal.  I thought I was getting a steal.

I don't think the bleach is the problem.  I use the HE washer dispenser, and I bleach stinky boy undershirts far more often than the towels.  Some of those are 3-4 years old and have been bleached at least once a month and don't have holes.  I think the problem really is the towel quality.

I'm seriously considering ordering yardage of linen and cutting it into turkish towels.  It won't have the plush feel of terrycloth, but rumor has it linen is more absorbant and lasts forever.  I would just order linen towels, but yikes that's expensive.

• Like 1

The thing about linen is that it is comprised of long, stiff fibers.  If you fold it, and iron the folds, eventually the brittleness will catch up with you and the linen will develop holes there.  You can still bite the bullet and do that, or you can set up a hand towel rack where the towel hangs completely flat to dry at least partially between uses.  I think that linen is great for drying dishes, because it doesn't streak or lint up.  I'm less excited about it as a hand towel.  Although pound for pound linen is more absorbent than cottom, without the puffy loops of a cotton towel you have a lot less linen weight and hence less absorbency with linen.

The thing about linen is that it is comprised of long, stiff fibers. If you fold it, and iron the folds, eventually the brittleness will catch up with you and the linen will develop holes there. You can still bite the bullet and do that, or you can set up a hand towel rack where the towel hangs completely flat to dry at least partially between uses. I think that linen is great for drying dishes, because it doesn't streak or lint up. I'm less excited about it as a hand towel. Although pound for pound linen is more absorbent than cottom, without the puffy loops of a cotton towel you have a lot less linen weight and hence less absorbency with linen.

Hmm... Not sure I buy this. I have linen sheets and towels that belonged to my (great?)grandmother that are still going strong. I find that linen lasts much longer (and is much more absorbent) than cotton.

The thing about linen is that it is comprised of long, stiff fibers.  If you fold it, and iron the folds, eventually the brittleness will catch up with you and the linen will develop holes there.  You can still bite the bullet and do that, or you can set up a hand towel rack where the towel hangs completely flat to dry at least partially between uses.  I think that linen is great for drying dishes, because it doesn't streak or lint up.  I'm less excited about it as a hand towel.  Although pound for pound linen is more absorbent than cottom, without the puffy loops of a cotton towel you have a lot less linen weight and hence less absorbency with linen.

Over decades I can see the holes developing at the folds, sure.  But I bought a couple of sets of linen towels several years back for a friend starting on a tiny house adventure.  They were expensive but this woman LOVES them so much she kept using them even when she decided tiny house living wasn't for her and moved into a 1950's 2 bedroom cottage with a full basement. She says the claims that they are more absorbent and dry extremely quickly are correct.  She sewed a loop of ribbon on the corner of each one to make them easier to hang in her tiny house, and still hangs them from hooks in the bathroom.  She launders them with her sheets.

I used them once when I stayed with her overnight.  It was a strange experience to dry myself with such thin fabric, but it worked well.

Besides, terry cloth hand towels don't dry dishes nearly as well as old-fashioned flour sack towels.  Why would terry cloth dry bodies better than it does dishes?

Over decades I can see the holes developing at the folds, sure.  But I bought a couple of sets of linen towels several years back for a friend starting on a tiny house adventure.  They were expensive but this woman LOVES them so much she kept using them even when she decided tiny house living wasn't for her and moved into a 1950's 2 bedroom cottage with a full basement. She says the claims that they are more absorbent and dry extremely quickly are correct.  She sewed a loop of ribbon on the corner of each one to make them easier to hang in her tiny house, and still hangs them from hooks in the bathroom.  She launders them with her sheets.

I used them once when I stayed with her overnight.  It was a strange experience to dry myself with such thin fabric, but it worked well.

Besides, terry cloth hand towels don't dry dishes nearly as well as old-fashioned flour sack towels.  Why would terry cloth dry bodies better than it does dishes?

The reason terry doesn't dry dishes as well is that it has a bumpy surface so it's not in contact with them consistently--there are areas of good contact and areas of bad, on a micro level.  Whereas with something softer like flesh, there is decent contact everywhere with the terry loops.  It's a similar principle to corduroy wash cloths not cleaning your face as well as standard terry cloth ones.

Re. the holes in the folds--you can entirely avoid that by not creasing the towels.  That's why people hang them flat or from loops on corners.  That's mostly what I was suggesting--avoid ironing the folds in if you want them to last their longest.

I personally like the feel of linen. It's interesting how different it feels when you iron it (dead crisp) vs. tumble drying it (very flexible and I think more absorbant) vs. line drying it (stiff but not crisp).  I think that if I had linen towels I would want to tumble dry them.

I believe that one of the reasons that linen towels are so expensive is that the yarn/thread they are woven from does not stretch or give well, and tends to break much more easily than cotton.  I used to handweave, and linen was much more challenging than cotton to work with.

Linen is stronger than cotton, generally, and lasts a very long time if you don't crease it.