Menu

s/o Sharing old Diaries with our Kids

SKL

Has anyone dared to do this?

When I was writing those diaries, I was sure this was gonna be a treasure to pass down to posterity.  Now I am almost afraid to look at them myself, let alone show them to others.  And yet, maybe my kids would find them fun or even educational.  :P

Anyone shared their old diaries / journals with their kids?  How did that go?  Would you do it again?

• Like 1

Well, since I wrote the other thread......NO!

I have a friend who brought her high school diaries to our 25th high school reunion and passed them around.  She had very little of boy stuff in there, it was mostly "This is what I did today."

I thought that was SO MUCH MORE practical!  And we enjoyed reliving EVENTS rather than feelings.  It was great.

Why didn't I do that?

• Like 3

I recently got out my old diaries and am rereading them, and shredding them as I'm done. My journals were this whole angry therapy stuff for years, and I hate them. They focus on the negative, ranting, whining, stressing, worrying. They show this version of me that isn't even accurate. All the times I'm petty, or pathetic, or judgemental and none of the times I'm happy, selfless, good. Why didn't I think of that? Why didn't I realize what would matter in the future, what I would want to read about? So out they go and the journal I started last year is much better. It has my thoughts on a variety of topics, and sometimes dips it's toes into my worries but mostly not. :) Hopefully, it won't be a book I hate when it's filled.

• Like 2

You all have got me thinking about this now. I have kept diaries since a young kid. I did rip up my high school ones while in high school because my step mom threatened to read them once, lol. But I have everything from age 18 on, except for one missing one from the year dh and I started dating. I really wish I could find that one. Who knows what is in it. I don't want my kids to find it without me previewing it. 

I tried once they were born to record our days together and things I wanted to remember. But i think there is too much grumpiness or self centered things there too. 

I haven't done anything to get rid of old ones. 

I have started some different types of journals this year that I do want for them. I started a Thinking Tree Mom journal, and the focus of it is so much more positive. I keep notes about books I am reading. A few to do lists. Some menus for the week. Lists of priorities and things I am thankful for. In general it is so much more outward facing and positive than just freewrite journaling that ended up being so self centered. I am still thankful for those entries when the kids were young. I probably won't get rid of them. The kids will just know more about my personal thoughts than I might like, but I will be gone. But those premarriage ones... yes, they need to go. Thanks for bringing up the subject.

I have found it useful to go back and read the diary I kept when I was DD's age to remind myself that I was as (insert annoying trait here) as she is at times now. Not sure I'd want her to read it, though. Not sure she'd want to.

• Like 2

I did.  I had a diary that I kept when I was sixteen which I shared when my daughter was the same age.  Admittedly, I was a rather prosaic teenager, so my diary was more an account of what I was doing at the time.  My daughter was much amused especially since most of the entries would start with "Not much has happened since I last wrote."

Regards,

Kareni

I have found it useful to go back and read the diary I kept when I was DD's age to remind myself that I was as (insert annoying trait here) as she is at times now. Not sure I'd want her to read it, though. Not sure she'd want to.

Yeah, ditto. Reading my old diary only gave me empathy for my children. I was so bossy! I had this boyfriend break up with me and I could not figure out why. Now that I read my diary, ugh! Why did I behave like that? As in...I did not "approve of" one of his friends and felt the need to tell him so. I was more like a nagging mother hen than a girlfriend.