Menu

Can't find black markers, aka Do I dare to give my kids permanent markers?

luuknam

We've got a zillion markers, but the black ones are of course half dried out etc, so I searched a couple of stores and Amazon and I can't find packs of just black markers. I can find packs of black crayons, or packs of broadline black markers, or packs of permanent markers, but not regular black markers. So, now I'm in the position of either having to buy a couple of packs of 8+ different colors of markers just to get 2 black ones, or to hand my kids permanent markers. Neither prospect excites me, so, help? Anybody know where to find regular tip washable black markers, or does everybody think that I'm being silly and should just give my 6yo and SN 9yo permanent markers? They seem to be mostly past the point of coloring on walls etc, but sometimes they're still kind of random (9yo more so than 6yo, I think). 

Um, I wouldn't if I were you. My NT kids of those ages still like to doodle and tag things. Including themselves and household objects of the non paper persuasion.

It would be supremely stupid of me to give them something not easily removed, because I know I'd get mad if they did what they always do. So I'm not setting them or me up for failure in that area.

You know your kids best, so maybe they can handle it responsibly. Mine? HAHAHAHAHA!

I guess I could do that, and donate most of the other colors to a school in the area, because I really don't want that many of colors other than black. My kids aren't big fans of drawing/coloring, but we're doing some of the Art for Kids Hub stuff now, and they're not really enjoying having to use a dark other color instead of black (I could in theory give them permanent markers only while they do that and take them away when they're done, but I know myself, so that's not going to happen).

My 7+9yos have been using permanent markers for a few years. I read the riot act about only using them at the table or you lose the privilege, and it's worked.

They like that the permanent ones don't smudge.

I keep them in a separate jar so that it's clear what's what.

Always a bit of a risk, though...

• Like 1

My kids were reasonably responsible with them at that age. And they're not as permanent on most surfaces as all that.

Mistakes will happen - things colored nearby by accident, markers on skin, markers on the table where they're coloring, etc. However, my kids at that age were past the tagging stage. But they were still small enough that I was nearby when they were doing art and I could control a thing like a Sharpie. These are for special use only. They must stay at the table. They go up in this high bin after. You have to ask for them. Etc. We never had an issue. Obviously, other kids would have.

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Count-Washable-Markers-Black/dp/B00934NGDC

Also, check a school supply store if you don't want to buy 12 at a time. I used to go through tons of black, red and blue markers when making visuals as a music teacher, because those were the only colors that were visible from a distance.

See, but those are broad line (as were the class packs linked upthread, but they exist as fine line as well, though I'm not sure I want to spend $43). Although at this point I'm starting to doubt what size markers I need. I thought I wanted fine line or super tips, but maybe I'm confused. I'm not sure we have a school supply store in the area. Or did you mean an online one? Sigh. I didn't think markers would be this complicated!!!

ETA: and I would love to buy 12 and be done with black markers for the rest of my life. 

Edited by luuknam

I wouldn't do it at 9 and 6 yo.  YMMV.

But by 11, DS was trustworthy. DD is not quite 6, has a totally different personality - and she is able to use them responsibly as well.  No issues, but she's generally supervised with them, and I don't leave them out with the regular art supplies.  

I worry more about the fumes.

• Like 1