Menu

Did you go with your kid to the first DE advisor meeting?

I am trying to decide if I should go with DS to the initial advisor meeting for his first DE class.

DS (currently in 10th) has just been accepted into a program for 11th and 12th graders to take college classes. This is a small, private four-year college. His acceptance letter tells him to contact  his assigned advisor to discuss course selection, scheduling, and registration.

Is it too helicopter-y for me to go with him? 

If I don't go, what questions/info should we prepare?

I plan to be completely invisible to the professors once he starts classes. But the idea of sending him alone to the initial advising session has me jittery.

• Like 2

I went with my kid to all meetings prior to the first day of class--so, intake, academic advisor, registrar, and disability services.  After that, he was completely on his own (except when I went in to pay each quarter).

• Like 3

I went to the initial counselor/planning meeting and the counselor asked my dd if it was OK for me to attend-- my dd said yes (she is the one who wanted me there)...this surprised me since dd was a minor, but I was fine with it.

The counselor spoke directly to my dd and I only observed.

At the future meetings I went with dd but stayed in the reception area.  I had zero contact with her instructors-- and dd did great!

• Like 1

No. My DD went on her own, and my DS did not go at all and handled it by email.

We decided course selection beforehand.

Meeting the advisor was just a hoop to jump through so they could lift the advising hold and make sure prerequisites were in place. There was no actual information that would have been useful to the student.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I am so glad you asked this. I figured I would go, introduce myself, and then ask if he wanted me to stay (the advisor). My DDs first class will be online, then she'll start live classes in the fall. I am hoping the summer online class can help her transition. She's super independent and ready to manage it herself, so I am not worried either way. 

• Like 1

I did, but the advisor wanted me there because dd was only 14 (a freshman) for her first class. I do not communicate with the professor at all; that is on dd to do. I figure I will phase out my attendance so that by the time she is in 11th/12th, I won't be there. 

Same with us.  Dd was 13 when she started and parents were encouraged to attend anyway for all DE students.  I did with my older son, too, and he was 16 at the time.  I have no contact with her instructors, though.  That is all her responsibility.  

• Like 1

I am so appreciative of the various responses. I am inclined to go to this first meeting, but I will ponder it a bit more. All he has is a letter of acceptance and instructions to set up an advisor meeting. We can't even find next year's class schedule online to look at. 

Can you see the current semester's schedule?

It is possible that the fall schedule has not been posted yet, but it should be clear where to look.

Have you checked the Registrar's Office page?

Sorry, I think I was unclear. I can find the 2016-2017 schedule. the 2017-2018 has probably not yet been posted. 

Sorry, I think I was unclear. I can find the 2016-2017 schedule. the 2017-2018 has probably not yet been posted. 

No, you were clear; that's what I thought. This is why I asked about the current schedule: if the current schedule is posted, we know the school posts schedules; if you found it, we know you looked in the right place. 

Our school has advising the week of the 20th, and schedules for summer and fall just went up today. So yours will probably come in a little while, too.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I did for both my DE kids. The first one was a complicated situation because we had just moved there. For the second kid I sat in the room but he did the talking.

Fwiw, the outreach counselor at this college goes to high schools to do registration with students doing DE. So they would also have their counselor available for questions.

• Like 1

I am so appreciative of the various responses. I am inclined to go to this first meeting, but I will ponder it a bit more. All he has is a letter of acceptance and instructions to set up an advisor meeting. We can't even find next year's class schedule online to look at. 

One of my kids college posted fall courses on March 1st, the other isn't up yet. You may have to wait a little longer.

I dropped both kids off for their DE advising appointments (neither was old enough to drive yet) but didn't go in.  However, when DD actually enrolled (a separate appointment), she had to have a signature or something from me and the person who helped her invited me in. I was there when she actually signed up for the classes, but she had already met with her advisor alone before that and had a planned schedule in hand. The appointment I was there for was just meeting with an administrative person who walked her through the online enrollment system. They required that the first semester, then after that she could enroll online without supervision.

There is a great deal of variety in the way colleges handle enrollment and everyone has a different idea of what is ok and what is helicopter parenting. Go if your ds wants you to and if you are invited in feel free. If not, you can wait. It won't be a big deal either way. DE students are often too young to drive. The fact that parents aren't far away is kind of obvious. 

• Like 1

I would, for the simple reason that until my child graduates from high school, I remain responsible for his education. In my state there are no requirements for homeschool high school graduation, nor is there a state-granted homeschool high school diploma. Certifiying my child as college-ready is on no one's plate but mine, and if dual enrollment is being used as a tool to get there, yes I'm going to be at the advising meeting. Of course I won't accompany my child to class or have contact with his instructors, but I am going to make sure he gets the classes he needs.

• Like 2

I think it is fine to go for a high school student. I think of de as a chance to learn the ropes but I don't think they need to do that all alone. Mine have started in 11th grade. I go along initially and help buy books, etc. By 12th grade they are taking these tasks over. I do not have any contact whatsoever with instructors. Just getting them established administratively.

• Like 1

Another CC that he was accepted to take courses with (that he did not end up taking courses with) even expects parents to be involved.  They e-mailed me personally several times.  They offered a waver so that I can view grades (I didn't have my kid sign it because he does not care if I look so whatever). 

• Like 1

BTW, at our CC DE students had to see the Outreach Counselor each semester in order to register for courses.  She would approve the courses and put them into the computer.  Then we would pay online.  The counselor was really hard to get on the phone and didn't respond well to email.

After 2 semesters she finally mentioned that we could schedule an appointment online.  I don't know why this had never come up previously, but it made it much easier.

• Like 1

Dd may begin taking DE next fall. I am going to the meeting with the coordinator with her because I have some questions about the way the program works, credit limits, costs, etc.. Any meetings with an advisor will be up to her. If I feel she is responsible and mature enough to handle college work in a college environment, I think she should be able to handle advisor meetings.

• Like 1

I do up until my students are 16. The CC expects the parent as they want to be clear with both the parent and student that the material will be of an adult level. The student is also required to get a waiver to enroll they're 16. Since this is my student, the waiver has gotten to be easy to get as my face is known in admissions.

• Like 1