Menu

Tonsillectomy after 40? (kind of gross)

The Girls' Mom

Has anyone here had their tonsils removed after 40?  I'm starting to have trouble with mine (going to the doctor today in fact for an infection) and the right tonsil seems to be disintegrating? (There are a LOT of pockets forming).  I get huge tonsil stones like crazy too.  

My mom had hers out in her 30s and I remember it taking her forever to recover.  MIL had hers out in her 60s and it was an awful ordeal for her.  I really wish I'd had mine out as a kid.  My oldest had hers out at 5 and never batted an eye.  

So how awful is it at my age?  

My DH had his out when he was 40-- took about 3 weeks to recover and he was miserable most of the time...

I had mine out when I was 12 and I remember 3 days of extreme pain but I was better in about a week.

((hugs))

On the bright side DH says he has been MUCH healthier since he had them out.

• Like 1

Hard to know ahead of time.  How healthy are you otherwise?  You may need a very long healing time and should definitely prepare for that in every way that you can but you may end up not needing all that healing time.  Hopefully you won't.  You will probably be healthier overall with them gone, though.

• Like 1

Thanks.  The doc just looked at it, said it was infected, and gave me antibiotics.  

I guess I need to start thinking about it.  I'm currently in the middle of a job search (had an interview yesterday, in fact, while sick) and in college full time, so it'll probably have to be put off for a year or so until I can get time off.  Ugh.  I don't wanna.  However, I don't see this really going away.

I had mine out at 45. 

The good news: It took care of my chronic sickness. I had been getting sick every three or four weeks for several years. Doc said tonsils were disgusting and full of infection and should have come out years before.

The bad news: bad pain and long recovery time. Make sure you stay hydrated for recovery and take your pain meds on a schedule. The trouble with staying hydrated is that it is excruciating to swallow, but you need the water. I couldn't speak for a week, but started feeling better at two weeks. 

It will be so worth it in the long run, but the recovery is nasty. 

DH had his out at 43. The first week was really awfull for everyone partially because he does not do well with pain medicine. I thought he was extremely grumpy due to the pain, but we realized that was his reaction to the pain medicine after I talked to a nurse. After we stopped pain medicine, it was still awfull but he was more miserable than grumpy so the rest of us could sympathize more easily and that made it easier for him as well.

DH is happy that he had it done because he is so much healthier (less colds and stuff)

I had mine out at 19 and recovery was about a week.

Ds14 had his out at 2 using coblation technique, and he ate a grilled cheese and French fries in the hospital for dinner the same night (they had him stay overnight because he was so young) and needed no pain meds. A friend's child around the same age had them out at the same time using the standard method and couldn't eat for a few days.

I know there are a lot of variables at play, but if I could find a doctor to remove them using coblation, I would. http://mytonsils.com/coblation-facts.aspx

Edited by JudoMom

my friend did.  she kept getting sick - though the tonsils didn't look very infected.  her dr told her it was up to her - it turned out beneath the surface they were *very* infected.  her health immediately improved.

Oh gosh.... how bad is the pain? I suspect I'm in a similar boat to the OP, and I do not tolerate opioid well. Can it be managed on ibuprofen?

What specifically are the issues with opioid? Some problems can be managed, but some cannot.

Are you able to take a synthetic opioid like Tramadol?

You might check into the coblation method that judomom recommended.

What specifically are the issues with opioid? Some problems can be managed, but some cannot.

Are you able to take a synthetic opioid like Tramadol?

You might check into the coblation method that judomom recommended.

A few years ago I went into the ER with a very messed up gallbladder, I was in horrible pain. I was not able to have surgery until Monday, so I had to just wait it out on painkillers. I forget exactly which ones, but one was pink and speckled... and one of the oxy-somethings. They really didn't take away the pain, but they made me sort of sleepy, but I didn't sleep I just had macabre hallucinations whenever I closed my eyes, it was fine when my eyes were open. It was scary, and the ibuprofen actually took away more of the pain than the other stuff.

If I have it done there are over a dozen coblation doctors at major hospitals in my city. And I will see if the weird pain mess are in my records so I can avoid them if possible

I'm also worried about addiction, but I felt so crummy... prednisone, on the other hand, takes away my back pain and makes me feel like I can take on the world.

And eat it, too :(

I had mine out at 33. The first week was pretty tough, but after that, not so bad, except for having to give up tortilla chips for a long time. The worst time is around day 4 or 5, so prepare for that. I went back to work after a week, maybe 6 days, but that was a mistake. I didn't understand how tired surgery makes you for quite a while afterwards. Don't underestimate how long it will take you to feel fully energized again. As far as the pain goes, though, that should be tolerable after a week or so.