Menu

Need ideas -- contents of classical ed doorprize baskets

Erica in OR

A classical school I'm connected with is holding a Chamber of Commerce breakfast event at the school. One of the Chamber requirements is to offer doorprizes that are awarded by drawing business cards of attendees. Attendees are business owners or employees from the community who gather to network at a different Chamber member business monthly. Usual items from other breakfasts have been company sweatshirts and hats, food baskets, floral centerpieces, etc.

We'd like to give away doorprizes related to what makes classical education unique and beneficial, since the school is still fairly new and not many in our community are aware of what classical education is. We'd like them to be items that adults would find interesting and/or useful in their own lives, since they may or may not have children.

We're considering four baskets, with a budget of ~$50 each. Possible themes we're thinking about are logic, Latin, history, music, literature. Any ideas on what we could put in the baskets?

Erica in OR

I don't have any suggestions, but I think it could be difficult to do what you're planning when the door prize recipient may be someone who doesn't have children or who has no interest in classical education.

As an example, I have no idea what you would put into a prize basket that would promote something like Latin education.

I could understand making baskets that included things like adult-oriented puzzles or word games, but I think you'd also need to add things like fancy foods to make them appeal to more potential winners.

• Like 1

One quick question -- is it a requirement that you provide four gift baskets? I'm only asking because it seems like it might be a waste of $200.00 unless your local Chamber of Commerce is very large and influential in your town. I'm not sure that you'll get $200 worth of benefit from giving prizes to people who probably don't have much interest in learning more about a classical education. Could you just give one basket and use the rest of the money to promote the school in another way that would reach a larger and potentially more interested audience?

If your state motto is in Latin, what about something (shirt/umbrella/whatever) with that printed on it?

A nice pen with the school name/logo? Maybe with a blank journal and/or bullet journal?

A book store gift card, and a copy of The Well-Educated Mind? This is suited only to the bookish, of course, but it may give someone an idea of what classical education does.

Tickets to a special exhibit at the art museum, or an opera or other cultural event?

• Like 5

A copy of The Well Educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer

A copy of Don Quixote (the first book covered in TWEM)

A shorter book covered in TWEM 

An excellent ground coffee or some K-Cups

English Breakfast Tea

Chocolate

tea cookies

two very nice coffee cups

SET card game

Rummy Roots card game

This intro to classical education is good, although it does say "for parents" on it: 

https://classicalacademicpress.com/product/an-introduction-to-classical-education-a-guide-for-parents/

or the public/charter school edition (I don't know what's different between the two):

https://classicalacademicpress.com/product/an-introduction-to-classical-education-a-guide-for-parents/

This one doesn't say "for parents" but I've never read it: 

https://classicalacademicpress.com/product/the-liberal-arts-tradition-a-philosophy-of-christian-classical-education/

This reading list is good: 

https://classicalacademicpress.com/product/the-classical-reader/

• Like 2

One quick question -- is it a requirement that you provide four gift baskets? I'm only asking because it seems like it might be a waste of $200.00 unless your local Chamber of Commerce is very large and influential in your town. I'm not sure that you'll get $200 worth of benefit from giving prizes to people who probably don't have much interest in learning more about a classical education. Could you just give one basket and use the rest of the money to promote the school in another way that would reach a larger and potentially more interested audience?

No, not a requirement, but typical of the event. The event is completely funded by a marketing grant from our church body and was written with the doorprize line item included. The school is promoted in multiple different ways throughout the year, with all other events specifically geared to families with school-age children. This event is the only non-family-oriented event that we will have done. So we're not worried about shifting money for other purposes.

Our goal is for the school to appear professional in front of other community professionals, so that we are seen as a legitimate educational option in the community. But, we'd also like to show the classical flavor with the baskets. I realize it's a tall order, but I appreciate the suggestions offered so far.

If it were an ideal audience situation, I'd give out four copies of either The Well-Trained Mind or The Well-Educated Mind and call it done. :)

Erica in OR

• Like 1

For Latin, Rummy Roots card game.

For logic, a logic game.

History, Story of the World audio (could possible do all 4, if the other categories are less than $50)

For music, Classical Kids or other type cd (depending on the age group you are gearing)

For literature, Well Trained Mind book

• Like 2

I'd look for a cool t-shirt or coffee mug with a clever Latin phrase on it.  Or coffee mug with the classical school's logo on it, filled with wrapped candy.

Well-Educated Mind is a good idea.

Fun logic puzzle or booklet.

Giant Microbes Brain Cell (Neuron) Plush Toy   

since you are growing little brains, a brain cell toy!  There are Isaac Newton and other historical figure action figures etc. at Amazon, too, for fun.

Accoutrements William Shakespeare Action Figure

also, tickets to any upcoming play or concert the students may be putting on in the future.

I agree with assuming the person getting a basket will not have kids, and stick to stuff good for any age.  Who doesn't need an extra brain cell? :-)

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

Themed mad libs like this one - first pages from classic lit

https://www.bookdepository.com/Mad-Libs-Roger-Price-Leonard-Stern/9780843171969?ref=grid-view

A gordian knot puzzle or newton's cradle?

https://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-6820-T-ThinkFun-Gordians/dp/B000EGI4OO

This henry VIII mug where his wives dissappear when you add hot water? (In fact, this company 'the unemployed philosophers guild' has some cool stuff)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001F1Z54Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1488529812&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Shakespeare+mug

• Like 2

Maybe one of those Latin phrase books? Probably not one of the off-color editions, but there's funny ones.

I've been to CoC events, and usually the doorprizes are promotional items bought off Vistaprint or similar. So umbrellas or key fobs with the company logo. Maybe your CoC crowd is more discriminating. But you can go on Vistaprint or Zazzle and make up something with the school logo and a little funny something on it. An umbrella that says "No rain on me!" in Latin, for example. If your school has an unusual sequence on Shakespeare or Dante or something, you could grab a quote from one of them instead.

Something memorable, something funny, something people would find useful. In short, something people will be jealous of the winners over. 

• Like 2