Menu

Boys, nostrils, urgent care, and rainbows.

Kerileanne99

I grew up in a family of girls. We were pretty wild, and I never really went for the stereotype of 'boy behavior.'

THIS boy, however, is every stereotype imaginable. Seriously, he really will put me in an early grave.

There are too many issues to go into, but right now I am struggling with what to do about this child and putting things in his nose! And ears. And...

He really is my figure it out child. He is 21 months old now. Last week it was popcorn he found on the floor at coop, which we finally retrieved via copious amounts of bloody sneezing:(

Yesterday I found him hiding under the school table clutching a handful of pencils sans erasers. He was eating one. When I expressed dismay, he helpfully shouted 'nose!' Sure enough, bright orange eraser wedged WAaaayyyy up there. We were unable to retrieve it, and ped recommended urgent care had to get it out with unimaginably long instrumentation. Plus a scheduled ENT visit. Oh, and wait, there is also a piece in his ear?!

Guess where I found the remInder of the decapitated pencil erasers? My boy literally pooped a rainbow tonight.

Just before bed I caught him attempting to put a bean from his dinner plate (must have fallen to the floor!) in his nose again!

Seriously?!

Any ideas?

• Like 1

:grouphug: I'd like to tell you that he'll grow out of it soon...but no promises, sorry. My friend's 14 yo son swallowed a metal washer because he kept putting it in his mouth, playing with it and accidently swallowed it.  :001_huh:

My dd was a WILD toddler and I ended up calling poison control 3 times in a 4-5 month time frame. Thank the Lord for non toxic products, but I could never be sure. She did grow out of it by two and a half. I pretty much had to keep her glued to me til she was 3 though. I recommend the same. Eyes on the boy at all times. It will at least reduce ER visits. Again, sorry, I know it sucks.

• Like 2

Sorry but I'll have to agree that this child will need a higher level of supervision than usual. At a certain age the nose/ear/orifice insertion will probably decrease. Except mouth.

Maybe try a teething necklace? Some of these kids end up being sensory seeker kids. If he is that way too (likes to spin, jump, do crazy dangerous things), consider setting up safe sensory things at home.

Try the out of sync child book if you have time to read (another in the series is a play book which may be more oriented to things you can do).

Edited by displace
  • Like 2

:grouphug:   I have two sons and the older one was the kind who had to investigate *everything*. But thankfully that didn't equate to sticking anything in his mouth/ears/nose. He just had to touch everything and press all the buttons and turn all the knobs and flip all the switches.

I hope your ds grows out of this phase real soon!

• Like 1

Sorry but I'll have to agree that this child will need a higher level of supervision than usual. At a certain age the nose/ear/orifice insertion will probably decrease. Except mouth.

Maybe try a teething necklace? Some of these kids end up being sensory seeker kids. If he is that way too (likes to spin, jump, do crazy dangerous things), consider setting up safe sensory things at home.

Try the out of sync child book if you have time to read (another in the series is a play book which may be more oriented to things you can do).

ETA - teething necklace I'm thinking of is not a toddler teething necklace, but a child chew necklace for sensory kids with an oral focus. They are about $10 on Amazon and have kid designs like Legos, shark teeth, and others.

• Like 3

My DS shoved a peanut up his nose when he was little.  WE could not get it out, so went to the doctor's office to have them get it out.  Round and slippery, it was a whole piece of nut, it was not coming out.  Sent us to the ENT 25 miles away.  By then DS was done with the whole thing and refused to sit still for the ENT to go fishing.  SO in comes an army of nurses and they wrap DS up in a big sheet so that he was swaddled and still and couldn't move, and within seconds the ENT was able to pull the peanut out.

I think it was the immobilizing in a sheet that convinced him not to do it again.  That, and we told the story to people quite a bit and I think he started to get embarassed. 

• Like 1

One of mine when little I don't think ever put stuff in his nose thankfully, but he did some crazy things.  Once he somehow hobbled over to the microwave with a bowl of thumb tacks and microwaved them.  Sparkly...btw...if you ever wondered what microwaving thumb tacks would be like.

The weird thing with him overall was he never put stuff in his mouth either.  But he did lots of other very nutty things!

• Like 2

Duct tape. It has multiple uses. You can use it to tape over any orifice he sticks things into. Duck tape his hands to his sides. Duck tape him to his chair. Very handy stuff. ;)

I have a ds who is my "figure it out" child. He still is. Although he doesn't stick things in his nose anymore. This is my kid who got his male appendage stuck in a travel size shampoo bottle. Just a heads up for that one. How to handle it? Stick to the kid like glue at all times. Eat protein bars to keep up your stamina. Fall into bed feeling thankful that you kept him alive successfully that day. Wake up ready for full on vigilance again. Hope that someday he will find an excellent spouse who can take over your job. 

Good luck!

• Like 7

My oldest was like that. 

When he turned about twelve, he became Mr. Neat and Mr. Focused.

He ended becoming the youngest Shodan ever in his Aikido dojo. 

He has a 4.0 in college, and yesterday I ran into his boss at the gym. His boss told me that my son is the best student employee they've had in years.

Some of them do change!

• Like 2

Lol at the title of this.

Sooooome day, lol at the story too, but not today!

Some kids, man.

Absolutely:)

And yes, some kids...but it is much different when it is suddenly my kid, lol.

Sigh. I was an absolutely perfect parent with perfect children before I actually had kids:) who knew?!

• Like 2

DS did this and I just had to watch him like a hawk. I think his nose irritated him a lot, he had really bad allergies and putting things up it helped relieve the itchiness.

This is a very good point. I have a sensory kid, and this boy just really does not seem to be. He is the happiest, most healthy, energetic boy, so very different from his sister...but he does have severe allergies with constantly crusty eyes and nose at the moment. Worth checking into, thanks:)

• Like 1

Duct tape. It has multiple uses. You can use it to tape over any orifice he sticks things into. Duck tape his hands to his sides. Duck tape him to his chair. Very handy stuff. ;)

I have a ds who is my "figure it out" child. He still is. Although he doesn't stick things in his nose anymore. This is my kid who got his male appendage stuck in a travel size shampoo bottle. Just a heads up for that one. How to handle it? Stick to the kid like glue at all times. Eat protein bars to keep up your stamina. Fall into bed feeling thankful that you kept him alive successfully that day. Wake up ready for full on vigilance again. Hope that someday he will find an excellent spouse who can take over your job.

Good luck!

Lol, love the idea:)

I was envisioning some form of a dog-like muzzle, soft and cutesy-animal, with mesh over the nostrils so a kid could breath but not insert anything! Maybe I should market it.

Just joking. I think.

• Like 3

Good luck!

My kids didn't do too much with mouths and noses, but they liked to see what could go in their diapers. I found flowers once after they were playing outside.

The bold--I am surprised neither of mine did this.

The underlined--I thought you were going to tell us how to get boy parts out of the bottle given the sequence of phrases, lol! I think I am glad you didn't.

• Like 1

Two tips:

1. Keep all button batteries well out of reach. These can be lethal if swallowed.

2. My dh is an ER doc and when one of our little ones recently put bread up his nose dh had me (he was out of town) plug the empty nostril and mouth over mouth blow forcefully into his mouth to force the bread out of his nose. It worked like a charm.

I don't know if this is cold comfort but I think that I've seen a correlation between intelligence and really active crazy toddlers.

My 2.5 yo ds' most classic crazy toddler move was to stand up in his high chair and PEE into his cereal. For real! Toddlers can be simply insane. :D

• Like 4

My kids didn't do too much with mouths and noses, but they liked to see what could go in their diapers. I found flowers once after they were playing outside.

The bold--I am surprised neither of mine did this.

The underlined--I thought you were going to tell us how to get boy parts out of the bottle given the sequence of phrases, lol! I think I am glad you didn't.

Well I was too and quite disappointed the information wasn't given. I was going to file that useful information away now that I have a boy. ;)

• Like 1

We have one who eats erasers (and toilet paper, and homework assignments, and anything he can ever find anywhere that is Definitely Not Food).  He only tried the nose thing once and was thoroughly disenchanted with it.  He is just over 2.

What we do is not have pencils available where he can ever get at them.  He is not a good door opener so mostly the toilet paper is safe these days (if someone forgets and leaves it open, in he goes to drop it in the toilet and then eat off a hunk).  We have an Extremely Babyproofed Home.  We didn't have to do this with our girl babies nearly as much as the boys, and with this one we have had to go to another level entirely.  It is not too hard though.  Mostly the bottom cabinets and shelves are empty and everything we need is in a top shelf.

My mother tells the story of the little neighbor boy (before I was born) who constantly ended up at the doctor's office because of things up his nose. But the coup de gras was when he detached the toe piece from the base of a rubber flip-flop (y'know, the part that goes between the toes), which has a disk at the end of it, and shoved that disk up his nose and couldn't get it out again. They had to take that boy to the ER with a flip-flop shoe hanging out of his nose.

Sooo... at least you're not to that point yet. LOL

We have one who eats erasers (and toilet paper, and homework assignments, and anything he can ever find anywhere that is Definitely Not Food). He only tried the nose thing once and was thoroughly disenchanted with it. He is just over 2.

What we do is not have pencils available where he can ever get at them. He is not a good door opener so mostly the toilet paper is safe these days (if someone forgets and leaves it open, in he goes to drop it in the toilet and then eat off a hunk). We have an Extremely Babyproofed Home. We didn't have to do this with our girl babies nearly as much as the boys, and with this one we have had to go to another level entirely. It is not too hard though. Mostly the bottom cabinets and shelves are empty and everything we need is in a top shelf.

Lol, I would say that our house is about as baby-proof as it can be. Or rather, Max proofed:)

I wish we could just put everything up higher, but I am in a wheelchair so that is pretty much not an option...and it would just encourage him to climb!

He comes from a family of rock climbers, and our garage has been turned into a wall on all sides and the roof, so I guess we have brought it upon ourselves. He can already climb onto kitchen counters, shelves, bathroom sinks, and more😩

Every room has a baby-proof knob on it as he is excellent at opening doors. Every cabinet has a baby lock, even the trash cans have locks! It is crazy around here. We actually REMOVED the plug covers when he was 12 months old when I replaced them with 3 different styles that he quickly mastered...the harder ones just encouraged him to use various instruments to pry them off. This seemed MUCH more dangerous, and now that they aren't a puzzle he leaves them alone.

And yes, I NEVER had to worry about anything like this with my dd7!

We actually REMOVED the plug covers when he was 12 months old when I replaced them with 3 different styles that he quickly mastered...the harder ones just encouraged him to use various instruments to pry them off. This seemed MUCH more dangerous, and now that they aren't a puzzle he leaves them alone.

I thought we were the only ones...

• Like 1

Lol, I would say that our house is about as baby-proof as it can be. Or rather, Max proofed:)

I wish we could just put everything up higher, but I am in a wheelchair so that is pretty much not an option...and it would just encourage him to climb!

He comes from a family of rock climbers, and our garage has been turned into a wall on all sides and the roof, so I guess we have brought it upon ourselves. He can already climb onto kitchen counters, shelves, bathroom sinks, and more😩

Every room has a baby-proof knob on it as he is excellent at opening doors. Every cabinet has a baby lock, even the trash cans have locks! It is crazy around here. We actually REMOVED the plug covers when he was 12 months old when I replaced them with 3 different styles that he quickly mastered...the harder ones just encouraged him to use various instruments to pry them off. This seemed MUCH more dangerous, and now that they aren't a puzzle he leaves them alone.

And yes, I NEVER had to worry about anything like this with my dd7!

we duct tape over outlets not in use (and not covered by heavy furniture).

With my first boy, a serious climber, we had to get rid of the kitchen chairs.  It was a crazy few years.

• Like 2