Menu

Got the puppy's DNA test results!

ktgrok

So....about half the people that see him say he's German Shorthair Pointer.

The other half say Bluetick coonhound. 

Turns out he's:

37.5% Bloodhound

25% Bluetick Coonhound

25% Newfoundland!!!!!!!!

the rest an indeterminate hound mix. 

No sporting DNA at all, including any pointer, so I was way off. I NEVER would have guessed the newfie though!!!!!  Thankfully, I really like Newfies, just not the shedding but he didn't get the long hair. 

Oh, and people keep saying "oh, he's going to be big! Look at those paws!" I would shrug and say yeah, maybe 65-70 pounds. Yeah...the DNA results give a size estimate....83-130 pounds!!!! Good thing we like big dogs!

This does confirm my gut feeling that he will not be an "off leash" type of dog. He's just not that into people pleasing, and with those hounds dominating that makes sense. He will be kept on leash or in a fenced/safe area. Definitely going to have to get him back to the park that has a lake though to see what he thinks of the water. 

• Like 12

He's super cute! I'm sort of obsessed with Newfies of late, so that would be an exciting find for me!  :-)

We did the DNA thing on our 11 year old rescue pups recently, just for fun. Turns out these littermates had different dads :-) They don't look very similar, so we always suspected as much, lol.

• Like 1

He's super cute! I'm sort of obsessed with Newfies of late, so that would be an exciting find for me!  :-)

We did the DNA thing on our 11 year old rescue pups recently, just for fun. Turns out these littermates had different dads :-) They don't look very similar, so we always suspected as much, lol.

I REALLY like newfies too, so that is a great thing to me, I just don't like the fur and the drool, but he doesn't seem to have that. That last bit of hound must be something not drooly.

And the short hair trait is dominant, as is ticking, so it makes sense he looks more like the blue tick I guess. 

Why did you let me know such a thing as pet DNA existed? Now I really want to spend too much money to find out what percentage of Maine coon our cat is, even though she is not only fully grown but senior, and we won't get any helpful info (like knowing your dog is going to be rather bigger than anticipated). 

• Like 3

Does he bay?

Bill

Not yet. But he's very vocal. If he's frustrated or wants something he barks. A lot. At the cat if he wants it to play, at the other dogs when he wants them to play, at the baby gate when he wants something on the other side, at the cat food bowl out of reach, etc. 

What a darling baby. What a cool pool!

Do you mind sharing how much it cost to DNA him? A friend wants to do it, but doesn't have a ton of extra money.

Alley

There are a few different ones...I got Wisdom Panel v3, from Amazon. I think it was about $70. I went with that over a cheaper one I found somewhere because we thought he was probably part blue tick and the other brand didn't include blue tick hound in the breeds it tested for. 

Oh my gosh! I want to kiss that face! He is so cute!

I have two basset hounds and neither of them bay, thankfully. :) I've heard our female bay exactly one time. The male was away at the vet and she was beside herself. It was so sad. Our male has that super deep basset bark but he doesn't bay.

Enjoy your handsome pup!

Oh, he is so handsome!

We've had three coonhounds - a Redbone, a Walker, and a Black and Tan. All three of them bayed. Someone who lives miles away from us across the valley also had coonhounds and theirs and ours would bay back and forth at each other all night. (Good thing we live out in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors close by to complain!)

• Like 1

My daughter did one of these on her dog soon after they got it.  She didn't want to have any part pit bull because of cats.  Anyway, although her dog looks like it could be part lab, it said Boxer, German Shepard, Bulldog, and a lot of undetermined.  Anyway, he weighs more like a very small Boxer, has Boxer like coat but not exactly the right coloring and must have had a lot of influence of the German Shepherd in his muzzle because it does not look like either  a Boxer or a Bull Dog.  But his behavior is mostly like a good Boxer- very playful, not the easiest to train, etc.  He is wonderful with her cats.

I've known Coonhounds that made very successful "off-leash" dogs, so before I wrote off a vital part of a dog's life based on a DNA test that is at best dubious, I'd train the dog to have a good recall.

These DNA tests seem to be getting better, but they still have a very spotty record for accuracy. I wouldn't make any presumptions that would run to the dog's detriment based on one.

A life on leash is not a full one for a dog.

Rant off.

Bill

I've known Coonhounds that made very successful "off-leash" dogs, so before I wrote off a vital part of a dog's life based on a DNA test that is at best dubious, I'd train the dog to have a good recall.

These DNA tests seem to be getting better, but they still have a very spotty record for accuracy. I wouldn't make any presumptions that would run to the dog's detriment based on one.

A life on leash is not a full one for a dog.

Rant off.

Bill

To be fair, I said on leash or in a safe, fenced area. This puppy goes to the dog part 7-10 times a week, on top of the leashed walks. But I am not comfortable with having him say, off leash out in the front yard the way I was with my weimaraner. He's just much more...independent I guess. But he gets tons of off leash running and playing...at minimum an hour a day at the park on top of our fenced yard with our other dogs. 

Also, I said it confirmed my instincts...not that I made the decision based on the test. 

Edited by ktgrok

To be fair, I said on leash or in a safe, fenced area. This puppy goes to the dog part 7-10 times a week, on top of the leashed walks. But I am not comfortable with having him say, off leash out in the front yard the way I was with my weimaraner. He's just much more...independent I guess. But he gets tons of off leash running and playing...at minimum an hour a day at the park on top of our fenced yard with our other dogs. 

Also, I said it confirmed my instincts...not that I made the decision based on the test. 

I know. Still good cause to double down on the training (which I know that you know).

Good to know he runs off-leash and the park, otherwise I think you'd have a basket case on your hands.

Bill

I know. Still good cause to double down on the training (which I know that you know).

Good to know he runs off-leash and the park, otherwise I think you'd have a basket case on your hands.

Bill

Lets be honest, if he didn't get the exercise, I'd be the basket case, lol!

He had two trips to the dog park today, one this morning and one this evening, over an hour each time. We'll work on his recalls until they are solid (and he's done well so far) but he just has a different vibe than my dogs that I trust more off leash...but part of that is age, I'm sure. But yeah, fenced yard of a decent size plus daily dog park (it's quite large...not a little dog run like I hear some cities have). And we have another dog park a bit further away that has a lake for swimming. 

Lets be honest, if he didn't get the exercise, I'd be the basket case, lol!

Yeah, that's what I meant :D

He had two trips to the dog park today, one this morning and one this evening, over an hour each time. We'll work on his recalls until they are solid (and he's done well so far) but he just has a different vibe than my dogs that I trust more off leash...but part of that is age, I'm sure. But yeah, fenced yard of a decent size plus daily dog park (it's quite large...not a little dog run like I hear some cities have). And we have another dog park a bit further away that has a lake for swimming.

I suggest meat. Meat equals best recalls ever.

I know you are an experienced and knowledgeable dog owner. Sometimes one writes for the generic YOU as opposed to the specific you.

These DNA tests are far from being perfected and have yielded some pretty hilarious false results. I just hope the general YOU wouldn't take results too seriously. Especially when.....

You know what I mean.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Yeah, that's what I meant :D

I suggest meat. Meat equals best recalls ever.

I know you are an experienced and knowledgeable dog owner. Sometimes one writes for the generic YOU as opposed to the specific you.

These DNA tests are far from being perfected and have yielded some pretty hilarious false results. I just hope the general YOU wouldn't take results too seriously. Especially when.....

You know what I mean.

Bill

Ah, gotcha. And yes, meat and cheese are the favorites. And this god awful jerky treats my mom got him for Christmas....I am scared to read the label but he will do anything for a small piece of one, lol. 

SaveSave