Menu

How do I fix this on my down jacket?

Alicia64

Last night I noticed white feathers flying around me in the car and I realized that my down jacket has a 1/2 inch tear letting those feathers fly.

The jacket is only two years old. I hate to replace it b/c of a small tear.

Do you have any ideas for how to fix this?

Thank you!!

Alley

• Like 1

Agree with a patch, there are probably specialty ones for nylon or whatever fabric the coat is made out of. You may have to check backpacking sources instead of your typical fabric store for a patch. If it is a non fraying fabric, you could possibly handstitch the opening closed with a lightweight thread.

• Like 1

Did you buy it from L.L. Bean or Eddie Bauer?  If it was made by a reputable company like that, and the damage is because of a manufacturing defect (not an accident), they will probably fix it, or, replace it for you. 

ETA: I reread the OP. If it has a tear, and that is the result of an accident, I would call the toll free phone number of the manufacturer and ask them to suggest how you can prevent it from getting bigger. 

Edited by Lanny

Did you buy it from L.L. Bean or Eddie Bauer?  If it was made by a reputable company like that, and the damage is because of a manufacturing defect (not an accident), they will probably fix it, or, replace it for you. 

ETA: I reread the OP. If it has a tear, and that is the result of an accident, I would call the toll free phone number of the manufacturer and ask them to suggest how you can prevent it from getting bigger. 

Unfortunately I bought it at Costco. They'd likely take it back, but I can't replace it there -- they have a different style in stores now.

It's hard to explain, but the material is very slick and shiny (and lightweight) -- almost like (what I think) a parachute is like. I'll try the patch. Earlier I stuck a piece of tape over it and headed out!

Thanks everyone!

Alley

how you repair the tear depends upon where the tear is, and exactly what the tear is like.

I would never try an iron on patch material on nylon.

costco will do non electronic returns (i'd imagine depending upon reason and condition) for a year.  it's attached to your membership number.

Edited by gardenmom5

They have specialty places that fix technical gear. I would not sew it. DH tapes all his clothes with some kind of repair tape. It is made for technical outdoor gear  for "field repair" .. but it seriously looks just like tape. Not exactly a fashion statement.  If you like the jacket enough, get it done professionally. 

There is a standard product called tent tape. It is used to repair rips in the ripstop nylon of a tent. It has a super, crazy, insano sticky back and a cloth front which is waterproof (though not shiny). You cut a patch and stick it.

If you iron your jacket it will melt. I promise you. You cannot get a setting high enough to actually melt an adhesive iron on patch. Use tent tape. You can get it most places from Walmart to The Academy.

It's very difficult to sew down because the feathers will keep popping out. You also have to make all hole very small or the feather will keep popping out on you. When our down gets a rip I use a piece of similar fabric and just glue it on with tent seam sealant. I know that the sealant will work on nylon because that's what it's primarily used for. So far it has worked quite well for me. REI sells cheap sealant. I imagine Amazon would too.