Menu

Do you think 13 is too old for an AG doll?

Allison TX

I have a niece that was getting AG with American Girl into high school and still treasures her collection in college.  My dd is still interested, but hasn't asked for AG although she would love a ton of the clothing for herself.  If she wants one, absolutely not!

Edited by WoolySocks

Thanks for the thoughts.  She loves dolls, and has been collecting them for years.  She hasn't "played" with them in a couple years, but will occasionally dress them or do their hair.  But she has so many!  I was trying to think of something different to get her this year (she likes surprises and gave me NO ideas!). So I bought her a faux fur throw and matching slippers from PB teen.  It seemed more grown up.  Anyway, she told my mother yesterday that she'd really like a new doll.  Now I'm wondering if I should return the throw and slippers and buy a doll? 

• Like 1

My mom made me feel bad for making doll clothes when I was 13. I was mostly doing it because of an interest in fashion, but I am still annoyed at her bad behavior, lol. Although I suppose I have bigger things to be annoyed with her about. I would see about a fashion doll or one of those fancy dolls that bloggers dress up in cute outfits. I think they are called Blythe dolls? 

• Like 1

I wanted one so much at 11/12, but my parents thought I was too old. I still wish I had gotten a Kirsten doll. I have no idea what they actually bought me those years.

The Kirsten doll was the one *I* wanted. I never bought it, and DD grew out of her interest in the one AG doll she had (although she has kept it and all her accessories). Kirsten - such a cute doll, such a cute story for her time period.

• Like 1

Dd17 has made and sold clothes, shoes, and accessories for 18 inch dolls.  She's thought about working at the AG store (needs to be older for that).  She could have a lively conversation with you  about the upcoming trends in dolls, best sources for clothing patterns, and all manner of doll-talk.  It really transcends age.

Side note:  It's Freebie Friday at Pixie Faire, which means you can download a free sewing pattern.  This week's offering is a gown (floor length or street length) for 18 inch dolls that could go either classy or steampunk; the pattern is "advanced level"*.  Pixie Faire also has several other always-free patterns for various size dolls.

*Best patterns if you're NOT advanced level, and just starting out making 18 inch doll clothes:  Lee and Pearl.  Excellent fit, excellent directions

• Like 1

I wanted one so much at 11/12, but my parents thought I was too old. I still wish I had gotten a Kirsten doll. I have no idea what they actually bought me those years.

The Kirsten doll was the one *I* wanted. I never bought it, and DD grew out of her interest in the one AG doll she had (although she has kept it and all her accessories). Kirsten - such a cute doll, such a cute story for her time period.

Kirsten is the one that I got as an adult! My hubby told me to think of something I would never in a million years spend $ on for myself, and . . . I picked Kirsten. <3 She came (gently used) with all her clothes and the pink trunk that I longed for throughout childhood.

And now I "play" with her when my (too-old) daughters play with theirs, and our memories are so sweet together; it's strange, the joy I have from a tangible thing, but - I am so glad I have her.

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 8

Kirsten is the one that I got as an adult! My hubby told me to think of something I would never in a million years spend $ on for myself, and . . . I picked Kirsten. <3 She came (gently used) with all her clothes and the pink trunk that I longed for throughout childhood.

And now I "play" with her when my (too-old) daughters play with theirs, and our memories are so sweet together; it's strange, the joy I have from a tangible thing, but - I am so glad I have her.

Glad I am not alone. I got my dd the late 80s white-bodied Kirsten in great condition off eBay. Not knowing I was planning to give it to her last Christmas, she saw an Our Generation doll at Target she loved and put at the top of her Christmas list. I casually showed her and oohed and aahed over Kirsten online when we were doll browsing. She liked Kirsten okay, but she still kept the OG doll on her Christmas list. Since I already had the expensive doll, and her main Christmas wish was the cheaper doll, I gave her both last Christmas. She likes Kirsten, but she adores the OG doll she picked. So when we "play" dolls together, I play with Kirsten and she plays with the OG one, lol. I think getting her Kirsten was my passive-aggressive way of getting a doll to play with for myself. She will likely pass down her dolls to me when she outgrows them.

FYI, at this website you can download the dress patterns for the 4 original AG dolls for free. I am not good at sewing, but have made Kirsten's basic dress, apron, and bonnet. http://www.agplaythings.com/

Edited by TX native
  • Like 1