Menu

Do you have Southern Living Cookbooks from 80s & 90s? Help!

RioSamba

I have a Christmas dessert emergency and am hoping the Hive can rescue me. My cookbooks are all packed. DH tells me they are in the *middle* of a giant cube of boxes. 150 boxes or something like that. The recipe for one of our treasured family Christmas desserts is in one of those books. You would think I would know it by heart after all these years. I don't!

It's a recipe for peppermint mousse parfaits. The mousse is made with marshmallows, and possibly sweetened, condensed milk. I can't remember anything else about it. I've googled and this recipe doesn't seem to be out there.

It definitely comes from the annual Southern Living cookbooks from the 1980s or 1990s. If you have any of these handy, and can take the time to check for the recipe I would be so thankful. DS10 would be even more thankful. You could take a picture of the mousse recipe rather than typing it all out. I don't need the instructions for the whole parfait, just the peppermint mousse.

I don't have those cookbooks, but I bet if you keep googling around you could find it or something like it.

Here is one that I came across:

http://www.sweetsouthernblue.com/2015/01/10/peppermint-mousse-parfait/

Thank you for looking, Sparkly. Yes, I saw that one. Mine definitely doesn't have pudding. Ordinarily I wouldn't be so picky, but it's the whole Christmas tradition thing. Ultimately, we may have to use a different s year!
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure our library has a lot of those cookbooks, not sure of dates. Can you check yours? If no one responds, pm me (to remind me) & I'll run down to our library (literally around the corner, so no biggie) and look through theirs tomorrow.

I cannot believe that I didn't think of that! Alas, we just have a few scattered 2000s volumes. You are too sweet; I couldn't ask you to make a trip to your library.

Honestly, it would take me five minutes and i could get my library card updated while I'm there. Really, if you can't find it, let me know and I'll run over there. I promise it is not a problem.

You have talked me into it! I'll pm you if no one shows up with the marshmallow mousse by bedtime. You are a gem.

Did you find the recipe?  There was an Southern Living cookbook at the library today on the rack of old or donated books.  I'm not sure if it's the same recipe but it's "Chocolate Mint Souffle" and in the description it says it's a mousse.  There is also a picture and it looks like mousse.  Let me know if you want me to post the recipe if you haven't found it already.  

• Like 1

Did you find the recipe? There was an Southern Living cookbook at the library today on the rack of old or donated books. I'm not sure if it's the same recipe but it's "Chocolate Mint Souffle" and in the description it says it's a mousse. There is also a picture and it looks like mousse. Let me know if you want me to post the recipe if you haven't found it already.

That is not it, but thank you so much for looking!

Monkey's library no longer has the books (how sweet of her to look!). I'm going to try to contact Southern Living directly. If that doesn't work, Monkey will try through facebook. If that doesn't work, the Great Mousse Hunt of 2016 will end!

What was in it? Do you remember?

Oops, I missed your question!

What I remember:

Marshmallows melted on the stove in liquid (possibly sweetened, condensed milk)

Peppermint extract

Food coloring

It goes in the freezer.

It really s delightful, light and fluffy, and very pretty!

• Like 1

Is this recipe close? I found it on a blog.

From the Culinary Arts Institute series, 1940 printing.

Peppermint Mousse
1 cup heavy cream
16 marshmallows
Green coloring
6 drops oil of peppermint

Add 1/3 cup of the cream to marshmallows and heat until softened, fluffy and smooth. Color a light green and stir in oil of peppermint. Cool until thick. Whip cream and fold into marshmallow mixture. Freeze in refrigerator try without stirring. Serves 6 – 8.

• Like 4

Is this recipe close? I found it on a blog.

From the Culinary Arts Institute series, 1940 printing.

Peppermint Mousse

1 cup heavy cream

16 marshmallows

Green coloring

6 drops oil of peppermint

Add 1/3 cup of the cream to marshmallows and heat until softened, fluffy and smooth. Color a light green and stir in oil of peppermint. Cool until thick. Whip cream and fold into marshmallow mixture. Freeze in refrigerator try without stirring. Serves 6 – 8.

This is also very close, thank you so much!

It sounds like the filling of this pie ... you could easily make it into a parfait

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/fluffy-peppermint-pie/6c0c1b81-5037-4431-a0a2-159f9313a6bc?p=1

Also close, thank you for finding it!

Sounds yummy. Are there any thrift stores in the area that might have some old cookbooks?

I hadn't thought of that. We have lots of thrift stores, but I think it would be unlikely. I'm in Colorado and SL cookbooks aren't a big thing here. It's a great idea though, and if I'm in a thrift shop I will definitely check!

Does google books have the index page of the volumes? Maybe try posting on Southern Living's FB page? I used to have a bunch, but they're not on my cookbook shelves. They may have gotten tossed when our basement flooded.

Sorry about your basement, what a drag! I will check Google 📚, great idea. Monkey is trying facebook for me, we can't have it due to DH's job.

*I'm on an iPad attempting multiquote, there may be many typos*

either of these?

MALLOW MINT PARFAITS

24 lg. marshmallows

1/2 c. milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1/8 tsp. salt

6 drops peppermint extract

6 drops red or green food color

Place marshmallows and milk in 3 quart casserole. Cover tightly and microwave on high until marshmallows are melted, 3-4 minutes. Stir in vanilla, salt, peppermint extract and food color. Refrigerate stirring occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon.

COOKIE CRUMBS:

Mix 3/4 cup chocolate cookie crumbs (about 14), 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon sugar in 2 cup measure. Microwave uncovered on high about 1 minute; stir. Cool 10 minutes. Layer mixture and crumbs in each of 6 glasses.

Grasshopper Parfaits (I know this isn't it, but it's one of the FB responses... & it sounds yummy, lol)

INGREDIENTS

2/3 package Oreo Mint Cookies

2 cups whipping cream

2 jars marshmallow cream 7 ounces

1/4 cup Creme De Menthe

5-7 drops green food coloring

Rediwhip whipped cream

12-14 mint chocolate kisses chopped

Crush Oreo cookies in food processor and set aside.

Beat whipped cream in stand mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.

Beat marshmallow cream & Creme De Menthe on medium until smooth. This may take a few minutes. Add green food coloring and mix in well.

Add whipping cream to marshmallow creme mixture and turn your stand mixer to stir and mix just until combined.

Place a large spoonful of cookie crumbs in wine glass, add a large spoonful of the marshmallow/whipped cream mixture. Repeat with another layer of cookie crumbs and marshmallow whipped cream mixture. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Top with whipped cream and chopped kisses.

The first one is close! Thank facebook for me😉

I told DH that strangers on the internet are trying to dig up this recipe, and he seemed a little embarrassed? Motivated? Something? I think there's a *chance* he might try to get into the boxes tomorrow.

• Like 2

Peppermint Mousse (1993, page 315)

1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk

1 (10 oz) package marshmallows

1/2 cup milk

1 1/2 cups whipping cream, whipped

1/2 teaspoon clear peppermint extract

2 drops liquid red food coloring

Combine evaporated milk and marshmallows in a heavy saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until marshmallows melt.

Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 cup milk; cover and chill until thickened, stirring occasionally.

Fold in whipped cream, peppermint extract, and food coloring; cover and chill at least 4 hours.

Spoon or pipe into serving dishes or chocolate sacks.

Yield: 4 1/4 cups

Peppermint Parfait:

Layer Peppermint Mousse and 1 cup chocolate wafer crumbs into 10 (4-oz) parfait glasses. Cover and freeze at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving. If desired, top with whipped cream and crushed hard peppermint candies. Yield: 10 servings.

• Like 14

I found it in the 1993 book at a thrift store! I took a photo but it's too big to attach. Ill transcribe it when I get home.

You are the most wonderful and amazing poster. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Peppermint Mousse (1993, page 315)

1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk

1 (10 oz) package marshmallows

1/2 cup milk

1 1/2 cups whipping cream, whipped

1/2 teaspoon clear peppermint extract

2 drops liquid red food coloring

Combine evaporated milk and marshmallows in a heavy saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until marshmallows melt.

Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 cup milk; cover and chill until thickened, stirring occasionally.

Fold in whipped cream, peppermint extract, and food coloring; cover and chill at least 4 hours.

Spoon or pipe into serving dishes or chocolate sacks.

Yield: 4 1/4 cups

Peppermint Parfait:

Layer Peppermint Mousse and 1 cup chocolate wafer crumbs into 10 (4-oz) parfait glasses. Cover and freeze at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving. If desired, top with whipped cream and crushed hard peppermint candies. Yield: 10 servings.

I am so, so, so happy to see this. During the last 41 hours (thanks to weather delays and diversions) I have been in five states (three airports, two airplanes, two trains, six ubers, and one rental car in a pear tree). That is why I have not been online. I am so grateful that you took the time to look, photograph, and post this! My family is going to be over the moon when I tell them. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I think I'm going to tuck copies of holiday recipes in with the decorations and also save them on Pinterest or in my email (somewhere via internet).

That's a great idea! I'm going to photograph all of our "important" recipes!

Thanks to everyone who looked! It's heartwarming that you gave of your own time in this busy season. I just want to hug you all.

• Like 4